Search Unity

2d game levels creation

Discussion in '2D' started by Grucha, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Grucha

Grucha

Hi all,
    I'm trying to figure out which approach is better. To make level in editor from tiled sprites or to use ready level (created in some graphic editor from tiles) as one sprite.
    What is better idea to use? On the one hand when creating from tiles I'll have a lot of game objects but assets size will be smaller. On the other hand when using one sprite as an level I'll have one game object which is whole level but assets size will be bigger.

What do you think? Levels will be something of a size of locations from Chrono Trigger game.

Thanks,
    Grucha

2. tedthebug

tedthebug

Personally I build in the editor from prefabs simply because if I play test & the level sucks then I just jump into the editor & move/delete/add stuff until it is fun. Making it in another system would mean that any changes needing to be made after testing would be tiresome & possibly difficult. Plus my prefabs have the relevant colliders all set, I think if you bring the level in from elsewhere you would need to spend time adding colliders to each bit that needed them (not sure how you tag each collider if needed to determine when grounded, on a wall, hitting something that kills them etc)

3. Grucha

Grucha

Of course you are right. Changes will be quicker if level is made in editor. I'm just thinking about performance. I want that game not to consume a lot of memory (mobile game)