Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Endless Runner Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by OussamaB, Jul 15, 2014.

1. OussamaB

OussamaB

The 2D Endless Runner Kit offers all the features needed to create your own high quality and mobile friendly 2D endless runner game.

Features:
    • Unity 5 support
    • Mobile friendly.
    • Unity 4.6 UI support.
    • Create obstacles, coins and power-ups using waves: arrange them in the scene view, put them in prefabs and let the magic happen!
    • Object recycling for obstacles, coins, power-ups, background layers and particle effects for smooth performance on mobile devices.
    • Power-ups: Spawn-able and consumable power-ups. Create and customize power-ups (duration, display on shop, upgrades, multiple effects).
    • Customizable movement mechanic.
    • Create multiple characters for your game, customize them and make them purchasable with in-game coins.
    • Endless missions: Create missions using 14 types of unique goals and make them repeatable with increasing difficulty.
    • Daily Challenge: Reward players with in-game items when they collect 3 items each day (consecutive days = bigger reward).
    • Detailed documentation and fully commented code.
    Demo:
    WebPlayer Demo

Documentation:
    Online Documentation

ChangeLog:

v1.01 - 14/07/2014:

Initial release.

v1.02 - 28/07/2014:

- Fixed the sorting layers bug.
    - You can now set the price of the head start from the inspector.
    - Changed the theme and most assets (sprties, buttons, etc…) of the demo scene.
    - Added particle effects for the demo scene.
    - Updated the documentation.

v1.03 - 26/08/2014:

- Changed the whole power-up system.
    - Two types of power-ups: spawn-able ones and consumable ones.
    - Customize always everything when creating power-ups.
    - Power-ups can have multiple effects.
    - Changed the power-up use mission type.

v1.035 - 06/10/2014:

- Added an animator for the player including four main states: going up, going down, idle and death state.
    - Fixed a rotation bug when player has been revived.
    - You can choose the revive price (in coins) from the inspector.

v1.04 - 08/06/2015:

- New graphics.
    - Unity 4.6 UI support.
    - Unity 5 support.

v1.05 - 08/11/2015:

- Fixed a bug in saving music and audio effects settings.
    - Added a new type of power-up: Power-UPs that are purchasable from the shop yet they spawn randomly like regular power-ups.

v1.06 - 17/12/2015:

- Fixed a small bug in the mission notification message.
    - Added the option to have custom enemy waves for each character.
    - Added the option to have custom background layers for each character.
    - Added the option to have custom sound effects for each character.

v1.07 - 22/01/2016:

- Added object recycling for waves, particle effects (coins related) and background layers.
    - Code optimization for better performance on mobile devices.
    - Improved the way custom character background layers/waves are created.
    - Improved the level object movement for better performance.
    - Improved the player interaction with level objects for better performance.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  2. OussamaB

OussamaB

Screenshots:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2015
  3. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I read about size problem for your cat in space game, so how big is this on a mobile device then?
    Can i exchange the ui easy with ngui?
    Can i use 3D objects instead of 2D graphics?
    Are these 2D graphics unitys new 2D things with its own collision and such or just 2D planes with a texture?
    How many drawcalls do this game have and how many fps on a mid modern mobile device?

4. mimminito

mimminito

Do you have any documentation for this I can look over please?

5. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello there. In fact , I had a memory problem with my game but it was because I was using very large uncompressed sprites. But I was able to fix it by reducing their size, maximum size and change few things in their import settings to reduce memory use. So you shouldn't worry about that right now.
    Changing the current UI with NGUI depends on your programming skills. I was thinking about supporting NGUI but since Unity 4.6 (with the new GUI system) is coming out soon, I preferred not to.
    If you are going to use 3D objects with 2D elements (Rigidbody2D, Collider2D), then this shouldn't be a problem.
    Yes all the 2D graphics and the script is using Unity's new 2D features including collisions and rigid bodies.
    Performance is nothing to worry about if your assets (specially sprites/textures) are optimized. Here take a look at this: http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/MobileOptimisation.html The game runs smoothly on my Samsung Galaxy Young GT6312 (I guess it's a mid modern mobile device?). I'll check the number of draw calls and FPS and post it here.

Hey, I uploaded the documentation that is included in the asset on my website: http://soumidelrio.com/unity/2dendlessrunner/documentation.pdf

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I tried to find it in the docs or by playing the demo but must have missed it.
    How can i choose and activate a bonus that i bought in the shop in a game that i play right now?

7. OussamaB

OussamaB

Actually bonus/power-ups aren't working that way currently. After you create from the inspector, they will spawn randomly in the game (based on some values that you set in the inspector as well). And when the player collect the bonus/power-up (just like collecting coins), it will be enabled.

In the game's shop, specifically in the power-ups section. You will notice that in front of each power-up there's something like this: (1/5) or (3/4). This means that power-ups have levels and they are upgradable, you can easily set the maximum level of each power-up and the price of the upgrade. And in each upgrade, the power-up/bonus will last longer when collected.

What I have said includes the magnet, shield, double and nitro power-ups. But the head start power-up is the only exception here. At the start of each game, a small box appears on the top center of the screen containing the head start icon. If the player clicks on it, he will be charged an amount of coins set by you and the head start power-up will be activated right away. That box containing the power-up's icon remains on the player's screen for an amount of time that you choose as well. Please note that box will only appear if the player has the required amount of coins to use it or the player has earned free head start points from the daily challenge. Here's a screenshot:

However, I'm planning to improve the power-ups/bonus system so that it will include power-ups that spawn in the game and that the player has to collect them in order to enable them or power-ups that you simply buy from the shop and activate them at the beginning of each game (head start, double coins, etc...) and if you'd like to, you can have a combination of both.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  8. satanyu666

satanyu666

9. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello there. That issue has been reported and fixed. I'm submitting the update today. Please PM me your e-mail so that I can inform when the update I available on the asset store.

10. OussamaB

OussamaB

2D Endless Runner kit v1.02 has been submitted to the asset store and currently awaiting approval. Here's a list of the main changes:

- Fixed the sorting layers bug.
    - You can now set the price of the head start from the inspector.
    - Changed the theme and most assets (sprties, buttons, etc...) of the demo scene: Check out the new screenshots in the first reply.
    - Added particle effects for the demo scene.
    - Updated the documentation.

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi i just bought your asset but it still is 1.01.
    I wish i had an option for a second background so i could have one far away start and one a little nearer star or one nebula layer.
    I noticed that i get a purple model when i collect the speedup bonus but i know, it is 1.01.

12. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello there,

You get that purple effect because the particle effects weren't included in 1.01 but that is fixed in 1.02. About the background issue, you can have as much backgrounds as you want and you can set for each one a different speed.
    I have submitted the update more than one week ago and it's still pending review. I e-mailed their support team today and I hope that it will available soon.

13. OussamaB

OussamaB

The update is now available on the asset store.

14. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Hi SoumiDelRio,

i have some questions and the first is, how can set the price for each rocket alone. I want that because it makes no sense to buy a not so good rocket when i get the best for the same price.

It also would be nice if i can have a speed variable for each ship so i can make the better ships a little slower so the player have more time for stearing.

Also i would like to have the option to choose the price for each step of the bonus prices. I see that i can choose already how many steps i want what is good.

When i fly over the x2 bonus i can see that for some time i get x2 the the points only by the sign next to my points but the points seemed to be the same. At the end then i get more points but i can se exactly from where i get the points and can not count them because it is to fast. Do i get the points only doubled for a short amount of time in that moment or at the end of the game. Could this be made better, more understandable, more comprehensible.
    Also i would like to have it so that the programm knows when i have already the x2 bonus and offers me then a x4 point bonus and also show me that in the sign next to the points. Or, as long as i have the x2 bonus there should not be another one of the x2 bonus.

I think i do not understand the head start right.
    When do the head start happen and how can i activate it?
    I played the game so often now and maybe looked to much to other things but the head start never came in front to me so i can remember it.

I like your asset a lot and start to learn and work from and with it.
    I hope for a simple solution for the rocket price question here so i do not have to wait for long for an update.
    Maybe you can post here what i have to change in what script to make it work and make later a bigger update if you like.

15. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello

Actually, you can set a price for each character (rockets in the case of the demo scene) by changing the price variable from the inspector. Take a look at the documentation, I'm pretty I explained that.

You can change the speed of moving up and down for each object just by changing the "UpSmooth" and "DownSmooth" variables in the movement script. I also explained that in the "Creating Characters" section of the documentation.

The X2/Double bonus will simply double your collected stars from the moment you picked it up in the game till few seconds after that. You can collect another double bonus while one is already active and this will simply reload the time that this bonus has effect. Your suggestion for this bonus and having the ability to choose price for each bonus is pretty good. I will totally add that in the next update along with other improvements for the power-UPS system.

As for the head start, the system simply checks if you have the required amount of your virtual currency (this amount is chosen by you of course from the inspector) in the beginning of each game. If you do, a button containing the head start icon and its price will appear in the beginning of the game from an amount of time chosen by you ad always and if the player clicks on it he will be boosted for some time destroying all the obstacles in the way just like the nitro bonus. The head start is also upgradable to last longer like the rest of the power-UPS.

I'm really glad that you like the asset and that you find it useful. I hope I can upload the next update mainly to improve power-UPS soon. If you still have problems with setting your character's prices, please let me know.

16. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Huh, then i have to read the documentation better. I am sorry if this is already answered all in the doc. I have at the moment for some weeks a problem with my right eye called "RCS" in germany, so i can not see things good on that side and it is hard to concentrate. That maybe is the reason i do not remember that i should have known this.
    Thank you for taking the time again.

17. OussamaB

OussamaB

No problem buddy, I had something similar in the beginning of this year with my right eye as well. Hope you get better soon. I will copy and paste the parts of the documentation that answer your questions if you want me to.

18. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I gone true all of the doc today real slowly :) and found what i searched for.

19. OussamaB

OussamaB

Great! Let me know if you need anything else.

20. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello everyone,

I've been very busy lately and hadn't enough time to make the power-ups update. But I'm back now and the update will be submitted in one or two days as I have to update the documentation first and make sure that everything works correctly.

There will be two types of power-ups, spawn-able power-ups and consumable ones.
    1) Spawn-able power-ups: same ones that the kit already had when it was released on the asset store. They are spawned as objects in the game level and activated when they are collected like coins. These power-ups are up-gradable to last longer.
    2) Consumable power-ups: They appear as buttons at the bottom of the screen when the game starts. They are activated when the player clicks on them. You can choose to make each power-up button to stay on the screen the whole time or just a specific amount of time. These power-ups will only appear on your screen if you go to the power-ups shop and purchase them. You can buy as much as you want but you can only use one per game.

Both of these two types of power-ups are customizable, you pick their name, the icon, the price, make it last the whole game or a specific amount of time, the description on the shop, the game object for spawn-able ones and you now have more control over their effect: One power-up can have multiple effects and you can now choose the score/coins multiplier that speed and coin double power-ups will give.

Here's a screenshot of the power-up inspector view:

Here are more screenshots from the power-ups shop and game:

21. OussamaB

OussamaB

I updated the documentation, tested how the new power-up system works, fixed some bugs and changed how the power-up use mission type is created. The update has been submitted and hopefully it will be available on the asset store as soon as possible.

22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will you update your assets to the new uGUI system.

23. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yes I will update this kit to the new GUI system as soon as it's officially released.

24. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello everyone,

The power-ups system update is finally available on the asset store! Check it out!

25. OussamaB

OussamaB

I have submitted a small update that includes a new animator and bug fixes. It should be available on the asset store pretty soon.

26. OussamaB

OussamaB

27. OussamaB

OussamaB

I'm working on a new update that will support jump & run endless runners so the kit will have two game mode to choose from.

28. chewieee

chewieee

@SoumiDelRio if i buy this package is it supported if i want to make a game on windows mobile ?

29. OussamaB

OussamaB

Yes, I have already tested it on my windows 8 phone.

30. OussamaB

OussamaB

I've been working on a huge update for this asset since 3 days: Unity 4.6 UI support and new graphics mainly. I'm currently updating the documentation so the update should be available soon.

31. OussamaB

OussamaB

I've just finished re-writing the documentation and currently preparing to submit the asset. Here are more screenshots:

32. OlavoXXX

OlavoXXX

Really interest on your asset but right now I can't play de demo or access your website. Hope this is due to the Update. Please let me know when it's online. Cheers

33. OussamaB

OussamaB

The demo is now available on my website. I just wanted to wait for the update to hit the store to upload the new demo.

34. OussamaB

OussamaB

Get this kit at 60% OFF for a limited time! It's only for $14 instead of $35 so make sure you get your copy.

35. OussamaB

OussamaB

The sale has ended recently, thanks to everyone who bought the asset!

36. cerlox

cerlox

Hello! I purchased the Endless Runner kit a few months back and just recently started playing around with it (after updating). I'm really enjoying it and having fun with customizing it. I am struggling with changing the velocity and rotation of the character when reaching the min and max heights. I just feels like it slows down way too much, or just takes too long before eventually leveling out at the max height, for example. I have attempted to make changes to movement using the Inspector, and have had success in getting movement to flow in all other aspects. Any suggestions or where to make changes in PlayerMovement.cs?

Cheers.

37. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, I'm glad you're enjoying the asset! As for your question, the kit handles moving the player object up and down using Smooth.Damp. This makes the player movement feels very slow when the player when it nearly reaches the maximum or minimum heights. This can be fixed by simply using transform.Translate for the player movement. If you'd like me to make the code modification for you then please PM me your e-mail address along with the invoice number.

38. cerlox

cerlox

Awesome!

39. OussamaB

OussamaB

Just sent you the code modification, please check your e-mail.

40. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

41. OussamaB

OussamaB

Hello, the rotation velocity in the Player Movement script is too high. Drop it down to something around 0.05 instead.

42. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

Yes, that was the initial configuration of the asset...
    UP Rot: 20
    Down Rot: -20
    Rot Velocity: 0.05

Download again the Asset.....
    I tried various combinations but not the smooth movement of the demo in the Web Page.. :-(

Please review the Kit in the Asset Store maybe they have different configurations

Ariel Tapia .

43. OussamaB

OussamaB

In the video you provided, I can see that the rotation velocity is set to 0.5. The configuration used in the demo scene is 0.05. That should make the movement smoother. I'm uploading a small update soon so I'll make sure I have the correct configurations for the demo scene.

44. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

Yes, and change many times with various values to prove that .... in this video shown how the asset to download ..... not severely bit the effect of rotation.

Video:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8YNgQXSI8KIb3VWQzFiX3B1eXM/view?usp=sharing

ArielTM

45. OussamaB

OussamaB

Try using a rotation velocity between 0.08 and 0.1, that should suit the demo characters. The rotation of the character when going up and down totally depends on the effect you want to achieve and on the sprite/animation of your characters. So this means you'd have to play with the value of the rotation velocity with different characters.

46. Ultrapp

Ultrapp

Hi SoumiDelRio!
    Finally solved the problem of motion ... there was only in Animator uncheck the option "Apply Root Motion" ...

But now I have another problem....The message is not displayed when I pick up a "Daily item".... please direct me where I can review the functioning of the message ... [video].

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8YNgQXSI8KIU01vNmljdEd0S2M/view?usp=sharing

47. OussamaB

OussamaB

Make sure that you've linked the notification message menu and text objects in the UI Manager script.

Ultrapp likes this.
  48. KodiaRok

KodiaRok

Hi Soumi

Have a small Question. Your game does include InGame Purchases, but is that also possible right now with an IAP System through Google, IOS, Windows for example ? Or just purely without having the Pay any RL Money on it ?

Regards
    Never

49. OussamaB

OussamaB

It's possible to add IAP through Google, iOS or Windows Phone. You just need to modify some code to do that. You might want to add a new UI menu for that as well.

Ultrapp likes this.
  50. TofuS

TofuS

Hi. First of all i would like to say that this asset is one of the best that i have purchased. If you guys are having second thoughts, don't hold back. It's got everything you need for a head start on creating your game.
    I just had 2 questions to ask though.

1. I was wondering if you could make it that you are able to upgrade the power-ups such as the magnet as well as make another GUI to purchase them to use in game at start as well as it being randomly spawned while playing. I went over your Assets Documentations but didn't really see anything on how to do that. Maybe just got a little confused.

2. Whenever i add my own character in, the game seems to crash and my own character moves only up and down without the background moving but the score increasing.Then when i equip the red or green plane, they also move up and down only while the score is continuously increasing. But when i restart Unity and try again all is well. Is it a bug or a problem with my Unity? Just was hoping that this won't happen if i deploy to a smartphone.

Other than that, i can honestly say that this asset is great. Thanks again.