Search Unity

"Easiest" lightmap baking tool?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by bigkahuna, Oct 6, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I'm pulling my hair out trying to get a nice, clean lightmap baked in Blender. Has anyone found an extremely easy lightmap baking tool? I looked at Gile, but it didn't seem powerful enough to handle models in the "thousands of polys" range. Anything else someone would recommend? I'm gonna give Modo a try next...

2. drJones

drJones

i've heard they are working on an integrated lightmapper but i've been using this in the meantime:

http://www.alienhelpdesk.com/index.php?id=22

its a PITA to use and i've never gotten a baked map i didn't have to clean up in photoshop but it works at least.

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Yeah, I've used BRrayBaker and "Bake Textures", and you're right, it's a PITA. In a complex model with lot's of seams, it's a nightmare... argh... Isn't there an easier way?

I'm also trying a script by "Cambo" which bakes the lightmap to vertices. That works very nicely, but baking it to a texture is the weak link.

4. Viking Dan

Viking Dan

If you turn off oversampling(OSA in the render panel,) you wont get seams...or at least much less pronounced ones.

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Ohhh... I've gotta give that a try. Not a day goes by that I don't learn something new. Thanks!

6. Richard_B

Richard_B

I mainly use Modo for baking textures and lightmaps - works well (and has global illumination).

Richard.

7. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Hnnhnn... where have you heard that? Thread/Source/Info please! Is it already christmas?

8. drJones

drJones

letterrip's post @ bottom of page:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2659&start=0

i tried looking for progress regarding it in the developer wiki but couldn't find it yet, so who knows what release it'll be in.

9. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Thank you, but i got it wrong :D Thought, Unity would get its own lightmapper... but blender will be helpful anyway.

Has anybody heard of C4D R10 supporting Lightmapping?

10. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Cinema 4D has excellent lightmap baking tools since 9.6. Maya also has great lightmapping tools.

junaid109 likes this.
  11. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Then its time to get R10. Thanks for the Info!

12. drJones

drJones

they have mentioned interest in it:

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=2482

but i'm not sure what the current thoughts are. joachim?

13. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Consider this:
    If i dont need to upgrade to C4D R10 for lightmapping, i could give those thousands of Euros (hmhm) to you Otee-guyz and get Unity PRO instead... :p

What about R10 Support for Unity? Is there something in the making already?

(Demands demands and stupid questions... throwing rocks can make a mountain sometimes... yes, i hate that myself ;) )

14. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

I worked out a pretty easy way to bake procedural textures and AO (Ambient Occlusion) in Blender yesterday, took probably half a dozen mouse clicks, that worked very nicely. I'll test it with shadows and if it works I hope to post a tutorial. It was the easiest process I've found so far.

15. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

That would be very interesting!

16. drJones

drJones

that's been one of my arguments for blender animation support - though its not really OTEE's responsibility its nevertheless a very frustrating situation.

inquiring minds want to know...

; )

17. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

I was under the impression C4D 10 direct .c4d file importing already works.

18. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Does anyone know of any tuts for C4D? I got AO working fine, but I would like to learn a bit more beyond the manual. For instance baking GI, not sure I'm doing this right.

Any info would be great!

Cheers

19. boxy

boxy

You set up the GI lighting in your scene as normal, then in the object's baking tag click the 'illumination' check box and bake it. That will convert all the illumination on the object to a texture map which is your lightmap in Unity.
    However, I've been conducting ongoing experiments with this and am baking Colour, Surface Colour, Illumination, Shadows and AO so that I can blend some/all of them to varying degrees in photoshop to use as a lightmap depending on what looks best. It may be that just illumination map works best, or at least a combination of shadows and illumination maps.
    Cheers
    Boxy

20. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Ah thx, I guess not seeing the "Global" in front on Illumination thru me off :)

And yeah I would prefer using PS to blend channels myself, and I would say just using shadows and illumination.
    I have to experiment with this in Unity also.

Cheers!

21. boxy

boxy

I am the same, its the little things that throw me until I've done it a few times :)
    To be honest, I am currently leaning towards a workflow where I'm just baking low res maps for positional guides, and then res them up in photoshop and hand paint shadows and light etc on the model in Bodypaint. There have been a few occasions where I've waited so long for the GI to render pre-pass, then render fully that I just thought, no, I pretty much know what the mood is, where the shadows and AO should be, so its much quicker just to paint it by hand :)
    Cheers
    Boxy

22. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

any chance to see the result? i'm moving towards baking phase in my project (on trial version) and would like to see other's results.

23. boxy

boxy

I think Zerofractal's baked examples are easily the most stunning :)

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=20588#20588

Mine are definitely experimental wips:

http://www.savbox.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/posts/Test/Test.html

The terrain, viaduct and tower/buttresses are lightmapped (although the tower and viaduct brick textures will probably become something tiled to get a better quality).
    Haven't got it right yet but I have quite literally painted blobs where local light sources are projected onto the terrain.

Lightmaps-