Search Unity

Anisotropic filtering

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Crazy Robot, Aug 24, 2009.

1. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I have some questions on Anisotropic filtering. I set the textures all the way up (full right on the slider), but my walls are still blurry when looking at an angle.

So,

Does the quality function work in iPhone as far as good, beautiful, fantastic…??

Does the size of the texture matter? Right now my textures are at 512k as far as Anisotropic filtering is concerned? Should I try 1024? How about compression, right now they are all compressed?

What is the best method to use Anisotropic filtering with the iPhone?

Thanks!

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

There isn't any, so you don't use it.

--Eric

3. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Right,

The question is, what techniques are there to mitigate the issue of blurriness at angels on the iPhone.

4. jtbentley

jtbentley

Obviously textures that will require a higher than 1x1 ratio, and no compression is about as good as it gets.

A good way, i've found, to avoid people noticing textures is to keep the frame rate 30+ :)

5. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Wait until a hardware revision that can handle anisotropic filtering. Until then, you basically live with it.

--Eric

6. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

the 3GS have a hardware recision, and the "new" graphic core Power VR SGX doesn't support anisotropic neither.

7. jtbentley

jtbentley

Its a 480x320 display, settle down gents :)

8. Brady

Brady

Perhaps there's a way to modify the mip values and thresholds... I don't know. But until then, perhaps you could selectively turn mipmap generation off for certain textures? May not be a good idea depending on the circumstances in your game though. Try it out and see what it does to performance.

9. Xmas

Xmas

Actually, pre-3GS devices do support anisotropic filtering, but only up to 2x. The iPhone 3GS doesn't expose anisotropic filtering, currently.

In certain cases, e.g. where a surface is usually seen from one direction, you may be able to avoid blurring by stretching the texture so the screen space projection of a texel ends up closer to a square. For example, a road in a 3D environment should be mapped so that there are more texels in one length unit across the width of the road than across its length.

10. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Thanks for the help!!!

11. skullthug

skullthug

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm curious about if any of the newer iPhones and Pads have started supporting anisotropic filtering, namely the iPhone 4 and above.