Search Unity

FREE How to Import Microsoft DirectX Models into Unity guide

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Greg-Bassett, Aug 22, 2009.

1. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi Everyone!

It's me again Greg Bassett from A-Lab Software Limited, the person that recently produced a collection of 18 FREE Skyboxes for ALL to download and use both non-commercially, and commercially as a UnityPackage for easy import into your projects.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=29200

Well I am at it again, this time I have created a FREE easy to use 32-page step by step guide detailing how to import Microsoft DirectX format 3D models into Unity, including animated objects!

I share the secrets of the tools required and where to get them to enable you to make use of the many freely available DirectX format models from the web.

As well as showing you how to import this models into Unity, the guide also provides information on where you can obtain a large collection of game ready models, textures and audio files for FREE!

These include:

25+ People and Monsters
    20+ Vehicles
    10+ Weapons
    35 MIDI music files
    120+ Audio Files
    200+ WAV sound effect files
    4 MP3 game soundtracks

To download my pdf guide please visit http://www.alabsoft.com/unity3d.shtml and scroll down to the bottom of the page.

I hope you all like the guide and it is of use to you!

And if you make use of DirectX models in your projects as a result of the information in my guide, please feel free to make a donation were possible, by donating you help me to continue to produce more top quality Unity 3D resources, plus I am saving up to upgrade my Indie license to Pro!

BTW, you can read more about me and what I do in the latest issue of 3D World Mag, page 20 Reel Lives interview.

All the best!

2. jaxas

jaxas

thanks Greg, good stuff from you again ;)

3. djoscar

djoscar

heh thank's buddy,
    you don't make many topics or post a lot, but when you do it's allways something usefull and worth saying thanks :}

EDIT:
    O jaxas labas ;D

4. djoscar

djoscar

No offence but those models suck lmao.
    I mean come on, they're like worse than PlayStation 1 :D :D

5. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

The guide is not really about the quality of the models, but about how to convert DirectX models for use with Unity.

There are lots of high quality DirectX models available on the web, and my guide shows you how to use them in Unity!

6. AaronC

AaronC

Hey Greg thanks for posting the tutorial.

Just thought you should know, the guy saying your models arent very good, has actually just been outed for stealling and trying to resell models made by someone else.

http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=36285

:)

AaronC

7. towcar

towcar

If you use Unity on the Xbox, won't we have to use directX models?
    if so then the communtity salutes you, I may took a look at this, but I just use 3ds instead.

8. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Thanks for the feedback and comments!

Interestingly enough, I am just putting the finishing touches to two model resource packs for Unity, Castle Construction Pack, and City Streets and Signs!

I will post some shots soon on the forums! :)

9. OldCrow

OldCrow

GREAT! cannot wait to see the castle construction pack.

BTW, has anyone made a castle out of blocks and then fired a missile at it, just see how realistically it falls down? or would that be too much for the Physics engine?

10. mpgn

mpgn

This is one post I bookmarked :D

Thanks a lot for this.

11. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

Hi all,

Thanks for your interest!

Still working hard on finishing my model packs, will post some screenshots of Castle Pack before end of this week.

12. Essal

Essal

seems your website is down.
    Any one got a link to where I can get this guide?
    I reeeeaaaallyyyy need it .
    I got like 200 models in .x format (both my own, and ones i bought, and was using in another engine) and i would really like to be able to use them for my project with unity.

13. Discord

Discord

If all else fails, you can always download blender, import the .x models into blender, and then export them as something else. .fbx for example.

14. Essal

Essal

Yeah I already tried that, but by some reason it wont import my animated .x files into blender:s

15. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

My site is back up now, curse my ISP... :oops:

16. Essal

Essal

Awsome:)

Glad to see a nice guide:)
    Already got Dark GDK, DarkBasic pro, and FPS creator, so there are very few free 3D objects that i don't have, but still a very nice guide:)
    I've been searching very long for a simple way to convert my objects:)

17. Greg-Bassett

Greg-Bassett

18. MrDude

MrDude

I just wanted to see if the models you refer to are the ones I got when I bought DarkBasic many years ago.

Back then there was a price tag associated with these models and since then both myself and everyone I showed them to spent our time either trowing up or laughing at the quality of those models. The fact that they said "professionally created" and it turned out as bad as it is... they were the laughing stock of my entire friends circle for years now, so when you say 'free' I thought my running joke had come to a stand still and I just HAD to go check... only to find I have to register before I can so I just left it...

Can you just confirm that please? Is this the character pack from theGamesCreators you are referring to? Is it free these days? Anyways, your guild would have been most useful to me in that I have animated files but know not how to import them as animation (or with bones or weighting, for that matter) but as it is I have already converted all my X files to MB... You are tempting me to read the guide, though... you really are... just to find out how to import .x with weighting or even just bones... but I am so darn fed up with registrations every single day...

Thanks anyways for the effort :) Sure it will help a lot of people out :)
    Now if you could just point me in the direction of a couple of sites that allow for rojalty free use of MOD music, I would sign up immediately :)

Edit:
    Sorry about that. just went and had a look and see they are still going for $25 so it must be something else. At least you gave me another good laugh :)
    and
    I'll stop spamming you now and go register... :)

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  19. joshdude67

joshdude67

thanks soooooooo much for the tutorial thing!!!!!!

20. PolyMad

PolyMad

On the other side, I've seen a thread where Greg is selling some skyboxes and claiming he made them when instead these are coming from another site... What a poor world...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  21. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

To be fair, Greg's skybox package is free, he was never selling it; and they were also free on the site that he apparently lifted the textures from, he assembled them as skyboxes in Unity and made a unity package out of it... so he did technically "produce" it as he says.

As far as a lot of the models sucking, yeah, they do, but he didn't make them or ever claim to have made them, and thats only the models from the one source that he provided. There are a ton of .x models out there that are good that without his tutorial, most people would not know could be brought into Unity.

For instance, all the model packs at fps creator: http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2001&page=ModelPacks

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  22. PolyMad

PolyMad

You are right, he didn't sell it. But he wrote he "made" them. That's not nice at all. Anyway, I'm out of this stuff.

23. joshdude67

joshdude67

whats the password to the zip??

24. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

It says it in your e-mail that you clicked the download link from.

25. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

This guide not work good for any directX animated model, if it is direct X human animated models, animation is not work correct.

26. drewradley

drewradley

Ultimate Unwrap 3d Pro will convert animated models... mostly.

27. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

Well, I don't have Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro full version, so i can not export to FBX files :(

28. drewradley

drewradley

I've never found a satisfactory free method of converting animated X to animated FBX. Blender is supposed to do it, but I've never had much luck with that.

29. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

Well, I was tried Blender version 2.49, but when i export and import to unity 3d then some problems occur. Do you using Ultimate Unwrap 3D pro full ?

30. drewradley

drewradley

I do. It does a nice job of converting MOST animated .x models.

31. dongvanhung

dongvanhung

I was sent you a PM, Could you help me ! please !