Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

green apples

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mr-Logan, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Heya guys just recieved a newsletter from greenpeace, with a short article concerning apple, and since most people in here are apple users, i thought id post it here.

Green my Apple, Steve
    Here at Greenpeace, we love our Macs. And that's why we want them to be free of toxic chemicals that create poison e-waste. We've seen the kids in Asia who wade through mountains of discarded gadgets to recover bits of metal they can sell. In the process, they breathe dioxins from burning PVC plastic and are surrounded by lead and mercury pollution. That's not what Apple is all about. And we know just the people to make Apple change its ways: its customers. Love your Mac? Wish it came in green?

Let Apple know how much you want them to be green.
    Send this Apple TV Ad spoof to a friend.

2. Morgan

Morgan

It sounds as though Greenpeace's information may be questionable on this matter--and if that's true it's a shame, since the basic issues are real and very important, and plenty of real data could have backed that up.

No matter how bad or good or Apple is, and no matter how they are "ranked," they ought to keep improving. Anybody pushing to improve Apple--and other companies--like this is doing us all a favor in my book.

Now, misleading info (if they've truly done that) is one thing, and I hate to see that kind of mistake detract from a useful message. But one methodology I do NOT object to is the "publicity stunt." Maybe they ARE just going after Apple because that draws the most attention. So be it: attention should be drawn! And if my next Mac is safer because of it, I will hardly compain :)

3. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

:roll: actually i think you should complain ;) (to steve that is)

4. Morgan

Morgan

I'll complain if it's NOT environmentally safer... not if it is :)

5. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

The main issue is really just that people don't properly dispose of their computers/monitors. In the US there's a hazardous waste disposal facility in almost every county, but most people just chuck their machines in the household garbage. You can't blame a company for making a computer using the necessary components, but you can blame its customers for not taking care of the product's disposal properly.

6. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Still would be a major + for apple if they were able to advertise with having the computer on the market that is the least risk for the invironment.

7. Rincewind

Rincewind

...for the fraction of a percent of environmental activists buying Macs, who give a damn about the whole subject?