Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity fatal error in gc

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Neodrop, Aug 7, 2009.

1. Neodrop

Neodrop

Fatal error in gc : "GetThreadContext failed".

This error kill Unity in Vista and freez with error window in Windows 7.

Whats wrong? What is this ?

Attached Files:

2. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

I don't know myself (hopefully others will chime in) but that begs for an immediate bug report if you haven't done so already. Thanks!

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Are you using Plugins and/or Threads

4. Neodrop

Neodrop

This error arises in operation with WWW class and try to parse XML file.
    I'll create a test example and will send it through the bug-reporter.
    BTW, This problem does not repeat on any computer.

5. koki

koki

Any news on this bug? I`m getting exactly the same error.

6. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

7. Chaoss@Perdition

Chaoss@Perdition

I have this error, and now Unity won't start, the error used to happen at random when starting Unity (It always has) but now Unity won't even start

8. CgRobot

CgRobot

I get this error also. I just recently downloaded Unity 3.4 (which confuses me because the error apparently hasn't been resolved in two years) and the error would appear on start up ever so often and continued to show up more frequently. Now I can't open Unity. I have done some searching around and discovered the inescapable answer that the problem was due to Kaspersky and had been fixed. I don't have Kaspersky so I know that isn't the cause for me. Is there any more recent information about the error?

9. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Some people get this cause for different reasons, the main thing most (not all) have in common is somekind of security software interfering with the normal operation of Unity. I had this problem also, but only with Kaspersky 9 running on Win7 64 bit; on 32 bit Win7 it worked fine. Upgrading to Kapersky 2011 automatically fixed the problem. When I had the problem, even setting Unity as a trusted program or changing any security settings wouldn't fix it. Only upgrading to 2011 fixed it immediately.
    I understand others are having the same error even without Kaspersky, in your shoes I would check what security software I have installed on the workstation in question, and look to upgrade or in worse case scenario, switch to another reliable security software vendor. This usually has to do with your security software, so I would start trouble shooting there.

Interestingly, this problem only seems to happen often with Unity, as other 3d software and engines don't have this problem. I think Unity Tech should invest more R&D into trying to figure out and solve why so much trusted security software out there sees Unity.exe as a threat, when everything from MS Paint to ZBrush have no such issues.

10. CgRobot

CgRobot

Well the security system that I am currently using is ESET Smart Security, which updates constantly. I never had this problem before with the previous version of Unity that I used (v2.6). I would rather not uninstall ESET. Also, I am running Unity on 64 bit Win7. I hope this error is resolved soon.

11. i3DTutorials

i3DTutorials

Yeah it's a tough call. Unity ain't making it easy. Would it be possible for you to keep your sec soft and move Unity development to another workstation dedicated to only Unity?

12. phil_ivey

phil_ivey

update

get rid of getthreadcontext error after downloading and installing update from windows update center (win7 64x and panda cloud antivirus) so looks like update is necessary for unity (win standalone) stable work. i think this info would be usefull for somebody

Last edited: Nov 15, 2011
  13. PinkBunkadoo

PinkBunkadoo

Try disabling "Editor Analytics" in the "Preferences" window.

14. lmbarns

lmbarns

Anyone find a fix for this???????????????????????????????????????????????????

Haven't installed any plugins or anything like that..............version 3.4.2f

15. jrapczak

jrapczak

I am also having this error. I just started using Unity.

If I create a new project everything works fine until I try to restart Unity, then I get this error. If I delete the project it will load fine, again, and the project wizard shows.

16. Knifeownage

Knifeownage

**FOR ALL ESET ANTIVIRUS USERS**

Here is a step by step tutorial on how to FIX this problem, it is very simple.

1. Open ESET Smart Security (The one that has: Protection Status, Computer Scan, Setup, etc..)

2. Press F5

3. Look for Exclusions. Tree -> Antivirus and antispyware -> Web access protection -> Excusions

4. click on Add...

5. Navigate to the FOLDER that has unity.exe and everything else in it

6. The navigation should look something like this: C:\Program Files (x86)\Unity

7. click the icon of the folder Unity (after doing so, the name should be highlighted)

8. Click OK with the FOLDER selected

9. You should see on the list it has the file location to the Unity Folder

Note: If your one of those people who pirated Unity (bad idea) this will also work for you but you should feel ashamed for pirating such a good program!

Note: Im running - Windows 7 x64
    If your running x32 there are only minor differences but it will be the file
    locatioluck from your fellow student, hope it worked (worked for me and my team).

17. CgRobot

CgRobot

Wow! Thanks so much for posting those instructions! I followed them and the problem seems to have been fixed! I have been waiting so long for a solution to this. Thanks again Knifeownage!

18. TheMLGTroller

TheMLGTroller

Hello, dead threads!
    Guess what. I got this error in 2015 (Unity 5)

19. Dantus

Dantus

There are a bunch of anti virus applications that don't like Unity's GC. This is in most cases the cause of this issue. You may want to have a look at that.
    Keep in mind that Unity doesn't have any impact on those kind of applications and as such it is no something they can influence.

20. domdev

domdev

Hello, dead threads!
    Guess what. I got this error in 2016 (Unity 5.4) using windows 10

21. UDN_8f0a3536-4717-4220-80f7-cdbf4a536312

UDN_8f0a3536-4717-4220-80f7-cdbf4a536312

Hello, dead threads!
    Guess what. I got this error in 2017 (Unity 5.5) using windows 10

22. Od1um

Od1um

Me too. Got it fixed by killing unnecessary processes in task manager.

23. buct_wh2010

buct_wh2010

24. Hsni

Hsni

Hello, dead threads!
    Guess what. I got this error in 2018 (Unity 5.5.5) using windows 10

25. mansoor090

mansoor090

Same error when utorrent is running. without unity runs fine.