Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Dialogue Engine - Out now!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MrDude, Aug 5, 2009.

1. tatoforever

tatoforever

Sorry, I'm provably just mixed up with your upcoming products and UDE updates. So what are your future plans/updates for the current UDE?
    Cheers,

2. MrDude

MrDude

Hey, didn't I JUST say to go play detective? If I tell you now I'd be spoiling the surprise :p Then again... I guess ASKING is part of a detective's job, isn't it :p

Okay, I'll drop the ball, at the moment I am looking into dynamic camera positioning during dialogue and lip syncing. I am also giving some thought towards alternate storage/ retrieval options for the actual dialogue files... :p I am also quite keen on a speech bubble system but not entirely sure how I am going to do that...

Again, as long as I can come up with ideas.... :p

3. drewradley

drewradley

You should really compile many of these into one help file. I found this more useful than the docs that cam with it. Oh, and stupid me missed the 20% discount...

4. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all.

I was informed of a few hickups with the ActionsHUD scripts and thought I'd give a quick update on how to fix it for those of you who use it.

You will notice a compilation error moaning about a boolean that can't be used as an int. I am assuming the new mono is a tad more strict in the syntax as the code is actually fine, but it now evaluates the "==" before the ""...

This means that it is trying to see : "State state == state" as "State (state == state)" and thus trying to compare a boolean with an int... So, to resolve that int error message, in file crActions replace this
    (Action a == a)
    ...with...
    ((Action a) == a)

...then, in actionsHUD... replace
    (State state == state)
    ...with...
    ((State state) == state)

If you are using displaytipe1, you will notice some errors with the class initialization, also. Simply move the three lines that initialize the font into the Start() function and all errors will be eradicated :)

Sorry for any inconveniences caused :)

5. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

Hi
    is UDE working in unity 3 ?

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Yes, Unity V3 and official Iphone support with the new melted version of the editor please :eek:)

7. drewradley

drewradley

I tried to use this script and get "Unknown identifier: 'CallAnimationFunc'." Where is that called from? Or am I just dense and am missing something simple like changing the name of it.

I also tried to edit the door action code that causes it to open and use that for other animations.... no luck. And the SFX/Voice over script looked promising to change to animation but the best I can do is to get it so there are no errors!

One of the reasons I bought this was it made it seem simple to call an animation from the dialog, but for the life of me I can't figure it out! How, for example, would I make one of the little orksies in the fantasy village sample wave to me when I greet him. I'd love, and pay for, a step by step guide on how to do this.

While I'm asking for help, is there any way to randomize the results in the dialog? For example if you had the key of LockPick 2 and you set the interaction to attempt to pick the locks is there any way to make it to randomly open the lock or not, based on the Key (i.e. skill checks). Well, since it claims anything is possible, I should say "how can I" rather than just "can I".

Thanks!

8. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

So what about Unity V3 and IPhone support?

I just ask because i want to know if there is an update coming soon or maybe i should buy the other solution mentioned here in the forum that is now featuring V3 and the Iphone.

9. MrDude

MrDude

Hi again

Just noticed the UDE is available for pirate download...
    Nice... :(
    Here I am giving away free copies to some and discounts to everyone else who asks for it and my policy of being a nice guy and offering free lifetime updates is rewarded by someone I trusted with a direct link giving it away to the world.

As some of you might know, I have recently moved house and have been without internet since then. I finally managed to upload an update for 1.3 that fixes the Unity 3 bug. It was a pain finding a way to do it at work but it finally happened :) So, to my existing customer base (and the pirates once they get ahold of this again because I am such a trusting person), expect an email soon. New customers will get the updated version when they buy. Also, people who bought the extended download option can also download the update from their share-it accounts.

I am afraid I am a bit lost about the iPhone support. What are you on about? iPhone has been supported since version 1.2... one thing that has changed with the new release, though, is the removal of the c# version of the editor. Since the editor just work from the menu and doesn't really care what platform you are compiling from, nor needs any modifications to make the UDE work in your titles, having two copies of the exact same menu command seemed a bit silly. So the menu command will still work, but the underlaying code is JS, and the rest of the UDE is still available as JS and C#. if anyone has a problem with this decision, just let me know and I will put it back in again in the next update...

I was planning on releasing 1.4 but scrapped it after integrating it into a much larger project (see the website) so this is only a fix for the unity 3 bug mentioned above and also includes the text substitution that I promised you a while back. It also features labels for keys so now you can add an arbitrary description to each key if you so desire.

One example I give in the docs is that you can assign a currency to your character's race at the beginning of the game and then, using the generic gameKey 'currency' you can display both the value of the key as well as a custom currency based on the race of the player.

for example
    Code (csharp):
    2. function Start()
    3. {
    4. if (player.class == c_Human)
    5.    partyKeys.addText("currency", "Gold");
    6. else
    7.    partyKeys.addText("currency", "Dablooms");
    8. }
    11. function OnGUI()
    12. {
    13. if (partyKeys.doesHave("currency"))
    14. {
    15. GUI.Label(Rect(2,2,200,30), partyKeys.curKeyValue() + " " + partyKeys.curKeyText());
    16. }
    17. }
    ...and this would then display "2000 Gold" or "2000 Dablooms" depending on the race of the player... Just an extra bonus in case you might need it.

DrewRadley: The quoted example was merely that, an example. There is no need to pay for assistance. The sample projects are supposed to demonstrate how to do what you are after, but if it is not sufficient then just pm me with details of your setup and I will help you out :) the key thing to remember is that:
    1. The dialogue file must reside on the object you want to call functions on
    2. When you start the dialogue, the UDE needs to have gameKeys assigned to it. If it doesn't have any then it doesn't process any keys and will not send out commands

Well, step 1 is not strictly true... in the new download I also demonstrate how to make one object influence the other by placing the dialogue on a hidden object in front of the Kabukimon door and having THAT open the door... Just pm me with the exact problems you are having and I will be glad to help you out :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  10. drewradley

drewradley

Thanks! I will do that. I've been much too busy moving (just bought a house) and playing Fallout New Vegas to do anything with UDE recently. Look forward to getting the new version and playing around with it. Hopefully I'll have some free time soon!

That's too bad about being pirated. Some people need to have a hammer taken to their fingers so they are no longer able to use computers to steal from hard working people like you!

11. MrDude

MrDude

Well the pirate thing was inevitable so not much you can do about that...
    (not true... evil grin... :cool: me lived in the UK... saw a show called 'Name and Shame'... he he he... there is a way of finding the culprit... his/her real identity... he he he... sneaky, me... this is what is delaying the email to the rest of the fine people who have supported me... asking a friend of mine to help me implement this tracking mechanism so the person can be named and other people can know not to sell to this person... anything... ever again... he he he... Payback is sweet... he he he)

Funny, actually, my first game was pirated a few weeks after release so I told them 'Enjoy'. In return, one guy said he would pay for it... the whole $1. And in return I offered him a second game as a 'Thank you'... Still waiting for that $1 more than 12 months later...:p

Piracy = inevitable, but what really annoys me is this lack of notification of threads I was subscribed it... I notice now there is a setting to only notify me via CP. Well that sucks... so basically everything I marked and waiting for updates to are disabled... Gonna have to find them all over again...

At least I found the setting so yeah... One guy sent me a message and waited 3 weeks for me to notice I had a PM... It was sheer dumb luck that I happened to come to this thread and give the "prompt response" you referred to. I always tried to do so but failed recently. This little box might make things faster here, now to find out how to do it for PMs... Anyways, hope the tip I sent you works...

Speak soon

Oh, ps, for C# people, another change I forgot to mention above is that the assignGameKeys() function is now depreciated. Instead, just assign the value directly using the GameKeys field. i.e.
    Code (csharp):
    2. myKeys.GameKeys = myGamekeys;
    3. //instead of
    4. myKeys.assignGameKeys(myGameKeys);

12. Hans

Hans

Hello MrDude

What is the Latests version of UDE? at the mo i have version 1.03
    Also when is the Starter Kits going to be ready?

the reason iam asking is i dont wont to implement ude when the starter kit will be even better and the extra modules will all integrate into one - if ya get my meaning.....

Thanks
    Hans

13. MrDude

MrDude

Hi Hans

The current version is 1.3 version 2. It has only minor changes from 1.3 and also features the text replacement feature. If you bought the extended download service, that version is available to you now, but be aware that the c# version is no longer backwards compatible and requires a few tweaks to existing code to make it work. If you did not buy the extended download then I am afraid the release is pending the completion of a security system I am trying to implement...

Regarding the starter kits... I honestly don't have a definite timeline. I honestly just didn't have time to work on anything recently. I had to make time to get this Unity3 bug sorted out so it seems the starter kits are going to be a while still...

Regarding waiting, my plan is to release each part as a package. As you then install the package it simply copies the relevant parts into a predefined folder structure. This means that the UDE will go in this folder and the rest in that and that folder. As such, if you start working with the ude in your project now it won't make much difference when the kits are released. The only difference will be that your UDE is in another folder... So don't feel restricted by the kits. They are meant to expand your experience, not hold you back :)

In fact, I am actually planning on separating the ActionsHUD system into a standalone system. I have been touting it as a "free" bonus to those who buy the UDE, well, I think it is time I make it free for everyone. At that point, I will remove all traces of the UDE and keep only the files relating to the ActionsHUD and the folder structure for the rest of the kits. Kind of like an advertisement of what is to come....

14. Hans

Hans

Hello MrDude

Looking forward to the spell system and the shop system also the better looking hud :)

Thanks alot for the update, i hope you continue bring it to the ppl and please keep some time to do the starter kit please :)

Thanks Again

Hans

15. mikevanman

mikevanman

any ETA on the security system , I didnt buy the extended download option (doh)

16. MrDude

MrDude

MikeVanMan: I can't seem to find a MikeVanMan in my customer base :p Just PM me with the email address you used during registration and I will send you a temporary link that you can use immediately.

17. mikevanman

mikevanman

cheers keep up the good work

18. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

that sounds like it would be really great for the system i'm working on.

price, well, i'm going to have to save for it if i want to use it...

19. acmshar

acmshar

Is it possible to edit the text files that the UDE outputs to create a game script?

20. MrDude

MrDude

I still don't understand what you mean by the "create a game script" part, but based on what you asked me in the PM I think the samples I am including here will show you how to do what you wanted to do. The DialogueEditor creates a normal text file that can be edited by hand, yes.

Here is some example dialogues for you to check out.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/18346184/DialogueExamples.zip

Basically, at the top of your dialogue file you list the names and avatars of the participants in the dialogue. You then indicate on a turn by turn basis who is speaking that turn. Since the dialogue then knows who to display on screen, the dialogue itself is left in the resources folder for access when required. When you then drop the GUI element of the UDE onto an object, you simply specify the filename of the dialogue you want to use and that is how the UDE knows who is saying what.

You will notice that using this approach, dialogues are completely self contained. This opens up other interesting uses for it. For example, since you could start the dialogue by saying either loadFile("dialogue1"); or loadFile("dialogue1",3); you can decide for yourself where to start the dialogue if you so choose. You will notice that some of the characters in the samples have a description in the first line of their dialogue. So now, using the free ActionsHUD kit I uploaded to the forums, you can either inspect the actor or you can speak to the actor, both using the UDE to do so via the same dialogue. The only difference is that when you inspect him, a dialogue pops up, shows the first line which is a description, then ends. When you want to speak to him, you start the dialogue on line 2 and the magic happens.

To further expand on this, you could simply create a single file that contains ONLY descriptions for ALL items in your world. As long as you have the relevant actor avatar defined at the top, you are good to go. So simply create a prefab that calls this specific dialogue and expose an index to the inspector. Now you just drop that prefab onto every object in your game, setting an index for each of them and voila... 1 file, one prefab and every single item in your world can be inspected and display as much custom info as you want for each individual item... all with a nice little background and avatar, pausing the game while the user interacts...

In that demo that stopped working after all this time, I used that prefab on the lamps prefab and thus all the lamps in the scene had the same description: "When the lamps are on, it is time to go inside. You don't want to face what comes out after the sun goes down". I also dropped it onto other prefabs like border walls and they had the same description, but then in the scene I modified some on a case by case basis to either comment on how the city is not safe because the wall is open behind the city or how well constructed the walls are or how the walls are all boring because they look the same... All via 1 prefab and 1 script file. If you get creative you can have a lot of fun with this kit :)

Once you read the dialogues and see how I add and subtract the keys (remember, any key can be created/modified/removed at any time), I am able to add side quests on the fly.
    For example:
    Character 1 asks for a lock pick from Character 2
    Character 2 says he will need 5 pieces of ore
    You now go through the level finding those 5 pieces of Ore. <- handled via pickups
    You give Character 2 the ore and he now demands a drink for slaving over the fire
    Character 3 says he can give you a drink but you have to get permission from the owner first
    Character 4 says he doesn't like you but he will consent to you getting a drink if you pay him lots of money.
    So you go through the level finding enough money <- handled via pickups
    You give the Money to Character 4
    You get the Drink from Character 3
    You give the Drink to Character 2
    You get the lock pick from Character 2
    You give the lock pick to Character 1
    You finished the quest, now whenever you speak to Character 1 you will no longer be prompted to help him with the quest

...now notice above that only 2 parts required you to do something in the game itself. The rest was allllll done via the UDE, all inside the dialogue itself. Also note that Character 1 will end his dialogue differently each time you speak to him depending on the status of your quest. He will either tell you that he "needs to GO, badly", that he thinks his master is a cross dresser or a racist for winning 3 trophies at the Racist Carriages (Race cars, in modern speak :p ) and all this is contained exclusively inside the dialogue itself and requires no outside assistance at all to happen.

21. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

Just thought I'd mention that I am now leaving the UDE's price at the adjusted $50 tag.

Enjoy :)

22. lzt120

lzt120

Today after I copy the crAction into my project, it states "static" do not voild on the item, then I remove static key from crAction then it is OK.but why this erro message will show as it should not show this message per my understanding.

this is the code the show erro message

public static enum crAction { none, speak, collect}

23. duran3d

duran3d

Hi,

I'm interested in this editor, but I would like to ask if it works fine with IOS now.

Thanks.

24. MrDude

MrDude

The iOS issue was due to the different versions of Mono in the different versions of Unity. That issue was resolved ever since Unity and Unity iPhone became one product. :)

25. hajasal_sk

hajasal_sk

Any update on your products, MrDude?

I read through every post in this thread and am considering a purchase. I'm a little unclear about future developments and pricing. Would you consider UDE still in active development?

Also - the 2D character images that slide in and slide out... can those be animated?

Thanks!

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  26. doncabrera

doncabrera

Yeah anything about the UDE? was (IT IS) an amazing tool, why we don't see more updates here?

27. MrDude

MrDude

I actually replied to hajasal via PM. In retrospect I suppose I should have mentioned it here also. My bad!

As always, I am available to my customers for any support or questions they might have with any matter related to the UDE, it's use or intended use, the UDE has become the core of all my coding work and has become indispensable to my own work and as such it is constantly undergoing modifications and getting new features added to it as I require them, but since stripping it out of my projects, proper testing and packaging it up requires more time than I have available, updates have become somewhat scarce.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2011
  28. sryrs

sryrs

Hello,

I am interested in the UDE. The links for the two videos and the playable sample do not work at http://www.mybadstudios.com/UDE.html. I would like to see them before purchase. Does the purchase process and downloading of the software work ok? Thank you.

29. buffonomics

buffonomics

I can't really buy something for that price that I'm yet to truly test out. And all the broken links and what not isn't really validating this price dude.

Found something called the Sphaggeti machine that opened up not too long ago.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/121708-The-Spaghetti-Machine-A-generic-graph-editor
    The guys behind this one at least have a nice descriptive video, exquisite doc, visual connection tool, and a free DEMO . . . for the same price. . . .

30. MrDude

MrDude

Hi mate.

Thanks for the heads up. I didn't realize the outdated links from 3 years ago were causing people problems. I apologize for that :) I've removed the outdated links and updated what I would. unfortunately, the quotes from other people is gonna be a problem :(

Anyway, so, first thing's first, a demo. Have a look at this link to see the UDE integrated into a game.
    http://www.mybadstudios.com/?page_id=86

And if you do like what you see, there is a PROMO code on the brand spanking new forum over at:
    http://forum.mybadstudios.com

But... one thing, though... for the complaints you highlight you sure didn't put in a lot of effort to validate your facts...! Recall that this thread was started 3 years ago... The price WAS $100 back then... The price has dropped to $75 since then and with the current promo code it comes in at almost half the price of the Spaghetti Graph editor. If you want to use that then feel free to, but seriously... the facts... they need to be straight when you complain... :D [I need a finger waving emoticon here :p ]

Anyways, have a look at the demo. If you have any questions or concerns, I am but an email away... :)

Again, thanks for highlighting the issue with the outdated links. Much appreciated :)

31. buffonomics

buffonomics

Ok, thanks for the reply.

Some things though:
    - The promo is expired :)
    - Don't expect people to read through pages of forum speak to get an overview of your product. You should always make sure you edit your first post accordingly with important factors like price, mobile support, etc.
    - I don't think one can classify that game as a demo of a dialogue system seeing as there's no-one in it to talk to. Spent about 5 minutes walking through the entire village and never actually found anything to have any sort of dialogue with. I left that game STILL not knowing what it is I may have intended to buy. Kinda defeats the purpose of the concept of Demos. I suggest having a clear conversable character/thing within 10 steps of the goblin's starting location...

Cheers

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  32. MrDude

MrDude

Hi again

It seems you are determined to use Spaghetti. I wish you all the best with that. :)

As for the rest of you, the mission that is included in the demo will take you at least an hour to complete, even if you do know where all the Bronze Ore are located. There are literally over a hundred interactions within the scene and some of them change, based on what you have or have not already done... Sorry I was unable to put 100+ interactions within 10 steps of the starting location, though. Please forgive me for having more than 5 minutes worth of content to explore... :p

The demo includes examples of how the dialogue can change if you continue to speak to the same character, how you can reuse the same descriptive text for multiple instances of the same prefab or for other prefabs, how a single object can have more than 1 interaction for you to do (view and collect) and, most importantly, when you speak to one character before you speak to another, the dialogue will be completely different... I even have some voice samples done by me but they suck so preferably play with the sound set to very low :D

In this demo, the UDE is used to speak to characters, inspect items and collect items. Some parts of the game uses different fonts/color for the dialogue (some clear, some not, but demonstrates that display can be set independently), also.

This demo is very old and is being upgraded so please check back in a few weeks for an update. Unfortunately, this update will have LOTS more to do and will take you even longer than... 10 minutes to play through... so it will take some time to get this done :) Please be patient... :)

For those of you who prefer watching videos to playing demos, I created a little ~14min video of me just running around the level, inspecting random objects and starting the included quest...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFdiirfADYo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Enjoy.

If you think it might be useful to your project, use promo code FORUMPROMO for a 25% discount.

Thanks for watching

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  33. MrDude

MrDude

...for those of you who prefer demos to videos but don't like long downloads or lengthy demos, I've uploaded one of the other demos I created a while back. It is built on top of Unity's MMO Controller Demo so it has a nice feel about it. More importantly, it is very small and show how dynamic a dynamic dialogue can be :)

So, will you be a royal ass and exploit a person in pain or will you be a kind soul in need of some manners? The choice is yours... I let you pass either way, but with a simple 1 line modification of this dialogue file I can make your choice of approach completely prevent any chance of completing this (or in deed any other) quest... Once you grasp this, you will understand that you can create some truly complex dialogues if you want to... :)

Anyways, check it out under the demos section on the website. Enjoy :)

34. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I'm looking for a dialog engine for my iOS / Android game. I have my own dialog boxes that pop up (GUI), can I use them with this engine?

Or do I have to use the provided GUI?

35. MrDude

MrDude

Hi there

The very first thing I realized before making this is that nobody will have the same requirements in terms of look/feel so I designed it from the get go to be customizable in this regard. Included in the kit is 4 different sample displays to show of how simple or complex you can make it, depending on what your needs are.

So, short answer, it comes with a variety of displays but is built to run on your own front end. All you have to do is call OpenFile to start the UDE off abd then call Speak() to progress.

I have recently finished an update and am busy writing some documentation then I can release the update (JS only, though). After you buy it, contact me and I'll give you update. Believe it or not, it actually simplies the entire process a LOT more... Not so much of interest to you, but I've actually updated one of the existing sample display files to give the designers a variety of 8 different display methods using the same sample display file and just ticking up to 3 check boxes :)

Supporting alternate display methods..? Most definitely :D

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  36. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Very Cool,

I'm using Above and Beyond's EZGUI system, so I call a square box that animated up from the bottom of the screen to display text. I'm looking for the ability for my player to walk up to a character in the game and have a conversation to gather information. Kind of like a "Fallout" type conversation, that can go back and forth a few times. You know what I mean?

Looking for something like this:

Character: Hey there, you're new around here.
    Player:
    Answer1: Yup, how did I get here?
    OR
    Answer2: Who took my stuff?
    Character then replays appropriately. and the conversation continues for a bit.

Can I accomplish that with your system?

37. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Also,
    I see that the promo code on your forums no longer works, has that offer expired?

Disregard, the promo code works.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2012
  38. MrDude

MrDude

Lol... I just had the same issue...
    Your payment details cane through and I noticed you paid full price. I then read your post here and had another look at the notification and noticed "oh, okay, he used the promo" :D

I'll get back in touch with you when I get home in a few hours. I'll be able to send you the updated kit (you can be my beta tester) but, I reckon you'll probably already have your dialogue setup before then :)

K, speak soon

39. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I can't download anything yet, the product is not showing up under "My Downloads" section on your website. It's getting late here (1 AM) so I'm shutting it down for the night, I look forward to the beta tomorrow morning!

Thanks so much!

JL

40. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I have to say a few things about this Dialog Engine.

1) The Customer Support is, by far, the best I have ever experienced! MrDude is very fast with answers and fully explains his product and supports it.

2) This engine is one of the most powerful full featured products for Unity! As I stated above, I wanted a "Fallout" type dialog for my iOS game. Really a Fallout 3 type. This system provides that plus more. It easily allows me to create and control complex dialog. I can have the system send calls to my scripts to do something, like if a character in the game wants to give the player a knife only if he agrees to a task! no problem!! I only wish I had bought it earlier in my game creation, it would have saved me a large amount of time.

3) It is a save engine! Oh yeah! It will easily save anything I want with one line of code! So, I can have characters/objects present or not in different scenes depending on what dialog you have with someone in another scene! The possibilities are limitless!

4) It's main interface in the demos are OnGUI, but the engine is VERY easily used with any other system. I'm using Above and Beyond's "EZGUI" and to start and continue dialog and make choices are very easy! I had some minor issues implementing it a first and MrDude worked with me to get it running well.

5) Inventory system! Again, I wish I got this when I first started creating my game, it would have saved me a bunch of time creating an inventory system.

Well, I normally don't go on about Unity add-ons but this one does everything I need and more! I can't get over how powerful it is!

If you need a dialog engine in your game I highly recommend this!

Good work MrDude!

and thanks!

41. MrDude

MrDude

Thanks for the words of praise, Crazy Robot. It's hard to find the right words to express how glad I am that you are enjoying it as much as you are :) Like you said "I am now creating dialogue like crazy".
    Loving it! :D

However, your post did contain a slight spoiler in informing people about the save system... Since that was created for you, it isn't yet available in the version I submitted to the asset store, but as soon as I get a "Your package has been accepted" email, I'll be adding that in. Oops... there I just dropped another spoiler... yes, the system has been sent to the Asset Store for approval. Fingers crossed they accept.

So, now that the cat is out of the bag, allow me to highlight some of the changes and additions to the UDE.
    1. - The Dialogue Editor no longer has that bug where you can't select an image from the drop down box.
    2. - crDialogue has been split into separate files and made much easier to customize
    3. - The need to enable and disable the display files has now been removed
    4. - So too the need for external scripts to enable and disable them
    5. - Adding dialogue to an object now only requires 1 file to be dropped on the character / object
    6. - Keyboard controls are now imbedded into the UDE and can be overridden for custom controls
    7. - The ONLY function you need to create for your own custom display style is the OnGUI function
    8. - OpenFile() has now become a lower level function. It's use is replaced with StartDialogue()
    9. - There are now callback functions defined for OnDialogueStarted and OnDialogueEnded
    10. - The sample scenes have been replaced with the (modified) Unity MMO Controller demo
    11. - The demo now features some more complex dialogue for your learning convenience
    12. - The GameKeys "inventory" is now automatically created and loaded into the UDE itself
    13. - Thus, you no longer need to create it externally and pass it into the display scripts
    14. - It also means all keys are now automatically globally available to any script inside your scene
    15. - Sample displays have been updated to work with the new UDE
    16. - The kit now comes with a UDECollectible script to configure pickups/ quantities in the inspector
    17. - Now comes with a dialogue prefab for drag-and-drop adding of dialogue to any object
    18. - GameKey values can now be accessed on a higher level and in one command
    19. - GameKeys have been updated to include a third type of built-in key, the equality test
    20. - GameKeys have been updated to allow the assigning of key values
    21. - GameKeys support saving any string value directly inside the game keys.
    22. - GameKeys can now be saved and loaded at will using a single line of code for each operation
    Code (csharp):
    2. If (GUI.Button(Rect(5,5,150,20), "Save"))
    3. {
    4.    UDEData.GameKeys.setText("username", username);
    5.    UDEData.GameKeys.setValue("age", 18);
    6.    UDEData.GameKeys.save("SaveGameSlot"+saveGameSlot);
    7. }
    and when you load a scene you simply say this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. UDEData.GameKeys.Load("SaveGameSlot" + saveGameSlot);
    3. var username : String = UDEData.GameKeys.getText("username");
    4. var age : int = UDEData.GameKeys.getValue("age");
    That's about all I can think of at the moment... :)
    A dialogue engine, inventory system and load/save system all rolled into one...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  42. MrDude

MrDude

43. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

I forgot all about this product. I bought it when it first launched. It looks like its come along a bit :)

Do you have upgrade pricing?

44. MrDude

MrDude

Upgrade to 1.4 is $20 for indies and $150 for pro license...
    ...oh no, wait... now I remember, upgrades are free :D

Donations welcome, though :D ;)

Just send me your email address you used during purchase and I will send you the updated link :)

45. Hans

Hans

Sent yah a pm MrDude

46. absolutebreeze

absolutebreeze

Me too :)

Thanks!

47. MrDude

MrDude

Fascinatingly enough... According to my sales log AbsoluteBreeze was my first customer after Hans... what a coincidence... :D

48. MrDude

MrDude

Someone was asking me yesterday if this kit is compatible with NGUI. He seemed doubtful when I said "Of course" right before saying "Of course I've never actually used NGUI before" :)

So I downloaded the package and tried it out... I didn't create buttons to make choices, but only to start the dialogue and run through it. It still remembers the interactions and works the way it should, the only thing is I didn't create a button to say "select option 1" or "select next option"...

After building a little sample GUI using the Instructions on their website, I had a panel with 1 button and 1 text area... So far I didn't need to write any code... The only code I wrote was for the UDE to interact with NGUI... Anyways, here is the entire script...

Code (csharp):
    2. class NGUISample extends _crDialogue {
    3.     var NGUILabel : UILabel;   
    4.     function OnClick()
    5.     {
    6.         if (HasEnded()) {
    7.             StartDialogue(2);
    8.         } else {
    9.             Speak();
    10.             if (HasEnded)
    11.                 NGUILabel.text = "Press start to\nbegin the dialogue";
    12.         }
    13.         if (!HasEnded())
    14.             NGUILabel.text = currentText();
    15.     }
    16.     override function HandleInput() {}
    17. }

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  49. disaldo

disaldo

Hi Mr Dude

Just sent you PM regarding the update.

Regards

Ste

50. MrDude

MrDude

Ha ha! Unity is taking so long to approve 1.4, as soon as it goes live I'll be uploading 1.5... :D

I started doing the c# port and then realized this is quite a waste, trying to maintain two versions... especially now that creating a display is dependent on subclasing the UDE... So I placed the code inside a DLL (so no more UDE source available). This has the benefit that both c# and JS displays can be built from the exact same project so from now on both update will be released at the same time.

It also means that I can now properly hide functions that will break the UDE and give access to only the values and functions you might actually need. Read-only values are now possible without having to created endless amounts of Get() and Set() functions... In fact, a lot of the functions have actually been replaced with properties now...

The thing that excites me most, though, is the fact that now, when you start a new project and want to incorporate the UDE, you no longer have to install an entire package complete with demos nor do you have to have folders with scripts sorted according to my preference for you to go sort according to yours... now... all you have to do is drag a single file into your project and you are ready to start creating your custom display. :D

Some more bug fixes, of course... but I also added in another little feature I just know you will love...

Now, when you create your display, you will notice a little check box marked "TypewriterMode"...
    Tick this and your text will display one letter at a time, delayed by a value of your choosing... appearing gradually, instead of all at once... Wait till you see it in action... you are gonna love it! :D

I also created new documentation in the form of a complete function list as I am sure most of you didn't know half of the extra stuff that was available to you. which is good, since I tried to make it all abstracted enough for you to not need to know, but at least now you will know and thereby allow you to do more.

I know that at least 2 of you are using the UDE with custom GUI tools (one with NGUI and one with EZGUI) and I am sure they (or you) will not want to place a check inside Update to constantly check wether the typewriter text matches what your currently displaying value is so I created a callback to inform you when a letter is added... Simply create the function and tell it to update your display and the UDE will update your display only when it is required. Thus, even users of external GUI tools can now also experience the joys of typewriter mode without it causing a drastic overhead :)

I know I am excited about this update! :D
    Now the Editor and the sample displays / scene need updating again...
    oi... no rest for the wicked... :D

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012