Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Dialogue Engine - Out now!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MrDude, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MrDude

MrDude

It is possible, and in fact I think it might be something more people might be interested in... After reading your post I was thinking I should include it in the next version of the UDE, but it could just as well go on the downloads section when it is done...

Anyways, all that is required is that you create a new function for displaying the text according to your needs.

What I would do in this situation is to create a new array of Strings and display THAT instead of the array of Strings returned from the UDE. Then I would simply write a time delayed function that gradually fills the array with the values from the UDE. Real simple...

Here is one example of how you could do that (untested code, but you should get the point...)

Code (csharp):
    2. var textArray            : Array;
    3. private var myDialogue   : crDialogue;
    4. private var displayText  : String[];
    5. private var lineRunner   : int;
    6. private var charRunner   : int;
    7. var displaySpeed         : float = 0.05;
    8. var SomeRect             : Rect;
    10. function Start()
    11. {
    12.   myDialogue = new crDialogue();
    13.   displayText = new String[myDialogue.maxLinesToShow];
    14. }
    16. function InitScrollText(text: Array)
    17. {
    18.   if (!text || text.length == 0) return;
    19.   lineRunner = charRunner = 0;
    20.   for(x = 0; x< text.length; x++)
    21.   textArray[x] = text[x];
    23.   for(x = 0; x< displayText.length; x++)
    24.   displayText[x] = String.Empty;
    26.   ShowText();
    27. }
    29. function ShowText()
    30. {
    31.   if (charRunner) < textArray[lineRunner].length)
    32.   {
    33.      displayText[lineRunner] += textArray[lineRunner][charRunner];
    34.   } else
    35.   {
    36.     //do nothing for a slight delay at line break
    37.   }
    38.   yield WaitForSeconds(displaySpeed);
    39.   if (charRunner) < textArray[lineRunner].length)
    40.   {
    41.      charRunner++;  
    42.   } else
    43.   {
    44.      charRunner = 0;
    45.      lineRunner++;
    46.   }
    48.   if (lineRunner < textArray.length)
    49.       ShowText();
    50. }
    52. function OnGUI()
    53. {
    54.   if (GUI.Button(Rect(0,0,50,50), "Speak"))
    55.   {
    56.      if (myDialogue.hasEnded) return;
    57.      myDialogue.speak();
    58.      initScrollText(myDialogue.getFormattedText());
    59.   }
    61.   for (var s: String in displayText)
    62.   {
    63.      thisRect : Rect = someRect;
    64.      thisRect.y += 30;
    65.      GUI.Label(thisRect, s);
    66.   }
    67. }
    One change you could make to the code above is to use the values the UDE is currently set to for the text, instead of passing it on to a function that stores it externally again...

I can just imagine there must be hundreds of ways people would want to display their dialogues and I suspect there are multiple ways to achieve each one of those. This is merely one example...

Hope this helps :)

2. franbon2005

franbon2005

i try your last script for inventory
    i have one error in the console
    BCE0017: The best overload for the method 'crGameKeys.remove(String)' is not compatible with the argument list '(String, int)'.
    i have removed the remove int
    i test before the other one with 2 errors
    Can you please explain or script a suitable solution for save keys for an inventory
    i dont know where to begin
    thanks

3. MrDude

MrDude

Hia Franboy...

I was typing that sample at work so I didn't check it for errors... My bad.

The way the inventory system works is quite simple:
    1. Just add how much you want : add(keyName, howMany)
    2. Deplete as much as you want: subtract(keyName, howMany)
    3. Remove the entire item from inventory: remove(keyName)

...and then of course the two tests to see if you have anything in inventory at all:
    4. Check if you have a certain amount or more: doesHave(keyName, minimum)
    5. Check to see if you have less than a certain amount: doesNotHave(keyName, amount)

That literally is all there is to it. The reason you got an error was because in the sample I said to remove a certain amount. You SUBTRACT a certain amount but you REMOVE the entire key...
    This should have been either
    Code (csharp):
    1. myInventory.subtract("Crossbow", 1)
    or
    Code (csharp):
    1. myInventory.remove("Crossbow")
    I trust that explains it clearly?

4. GrimWare

GrimWare

MrDude you continue to impress me with how you help the community members. You're a stand-up guy.

Thanks 8)

5. MrDude

MrDude

Awww.... shucks ... :oops: :oops: :oops:

6. jcullen24

jcullen24

Great product!
    I picked it up last week and have just started working with it. I read that you would be putting out a front end for the inventory system, is that still in the works, and if so would it be put out as a free update for current users?

Thanks again!
    Jim Cullen

7. angel

angel

8. jcullen24

jcullen24

I was unable to click on the link for refernece to the font in question, but you can import fonts in Unity.

Jim Cullen

9. redcap_old

redcap_old

This looks great, and just so you can get some more feedback here is my two cents.

$100 is a great price for professionals, but steep for an indie like me. I might use the system if it were cheaper, but not knowing if my games will ever amount to much $100 is a big investment. I would almost want to code it myself for the experience of learning how to program a dialouge.

Good luck, I think it will do great in sales...

10. Dreamora

Dreamora

indies are professionals.

no cash are commonly called hobbiests, as indie just means independent so without a big player behind you paying all your bills.

11. MrDude

MrDude

Just a reminder: In keeping with my promise to offer a discount on the UDE whenever Unity offers a discount, between now and when Unity 3 ships, the UDE is on offer also. Simply enter promo code 3ISHERE to receive your 20% discount.

Also, since I have had a number of people asking me about educational discount, I have also created a permanent voucher for students. Contact me for details.

12. cyangamer

cyangamer

Looks cool. Being a programmer however, I can truly say that I have no need to buy this, unfortunately.

I think $100 is a good price considering the target audience. Artists and designers are the ones with money anyway lol, (considering they can afford Maya, Unity Pro, ZBrush, and Illustrator all at once :p )

I think if you're a hobbyist programmer, you should just program your own dialogue system anyway. It's good for the experience, and it's easy. 8)

But I'll say this again: MrDude put a lot of effort into this engine and I'm glad he's sharing it with those who need it. :)

13. maidamedia

maidamedia

Dear Jacco,
    I am using UDE in these days but everything seems strange and it is going to be completely unuseful for me.
    I try to explain in my poor english.
    I started from the 3dmedia.be fantasy pack with UDE.
    Sometimes it seems as if the dialogue is not reinitialized when I press stop and then play. The dialogue doesn't restart from the beginning if it was started and not ended in the previous play. It also seems as if it goes randomly from a line to another line. In the dialogue editor the test is ok. In play mode the dialogue doesn't work in the correct way. Sometime a simple line of text appears like a choice.
    In the dialogue editor if you save a dialogue and then you load it again it doesn't contain the last version.
    If I use a dialogue file inside the demo pack it works. The same file inside my project doesn't work. Where is my mistake?

14. MrDude

MrDude

Sorted.
    Was using UDE 1.1. Copied UDE 1.3's files over it and all is well with the world again :)

15. acmshar

acmshar

I have two questions:

1. For the inventory system, am I understanding correctly that you have built functions in code that manage an inventory (myInventory, etc), but that you have just not created a graphical editor for that?

2. Is there any reason to think this might break with Unity 3?

I'm thinking about purchasing, but I'm trying to determine if I should just do the coding myself. In either case, great work MrDude.

16. MrDude

MrDude

1. You are spot on.

2. No, I can't see any reason why it should break in Unity 3. I have already pre-ordered it so I will be able to test it as soon as it becomes available and fix it if required. Unity has the ability to create editor windows. Unity iPhone does not. Now that the two of them are becoming one, will it somehow break it or stay the same or have improvements... I just don't know, but I don't see Unity taking something that works and breaking it for their next big update :p So no, I can't see a reason why it would not work in Unity 3.

17. huxley

huxley

From the Manual

I am trying to make a WOW style dialogue window, which uses the GUI.VerticalSlider to scroll down the page of dialogue instead of presenting it on seperate pages. Where can this be done? Thanks.

18. MrDude

MrDude

Hia

The maxLinesToShow is a means of making sure you only read enough lines to actually fit on the screen based on how many lines of text you actually cater for.

If your dialogue is going to be done via scrollareas then I am assuming you don't want to have a limit on the amount of text you want to display per turn. In this case, simply set the MaxLinesToShow to a very high number like 150 right before you first open the file. Any figure that is more than what you expect you will ever need. 150 lines f text for a single turn sounds more like a novel than a turn :p This will then give you an array of up to 150 lines of text per turn. Then just display it inside your scroll area and you are set...

So for example, in the DialogueType2.js file, simply add the line to the StartDialogue function to give you this:
    Code (csharp):
    2.     DialogueHUD.AssignGameKeys(withKeys);
    3.     DialogueHUD.maxLinesToShow = 150;
    4.     DialogueHUD.OpenFile(atIndex);
    ...and that should be it...

19. Renatodep

Renatodep

Hey this seems like a great deal! Although what is stopping me from purchasing is the lack of 'typewritter' effect like you see in RPGs and Adventure games (zelda). Are you planning on adding this feature in anytime soon?

20. GeneralGrant

GeneralGrant

Wow... $100? And I thought $50 was too much :p...

Bbbuuutttt, will it be easy to create subtitles?

21. MrDude

MrDude

Renatodep: When you say "typewritter" do you mean the code I posted on page 7 of this thread or do you have something else in mind?

CreativeCoding: Please PM me some details on what you want to do and I can give you an exact answer.

Ta

22. lzt120

lzt120

Can any way to display Chinese font by this UDE for RPG game? Can GUISkin help this out and how to.

23. MrDude

MrDude

The UDE's limitations come in the form of the font limitations imposed by Unity itself. Up until now Unity's font usage has been rather limited.

... but...

...I just read last night that Unity 3 actually supports scalable fonts and Aras made specific mention of Chinese fonts (twice) so I guess from Unity 3 onwards this would be possible, yes, but I have never actually worked with Chinese fonts so I am afraid I really don't know anything much about it...

Sorry I can't give you a more positive answer than that, but Unity 3 should solve any issues with Chinese fonts... I think... :/

To be honest I didn't even know people had a problem with Chinese fonts until I saw the post saying that Chinese fonts will now work properly... :oops: :oops:

24. Renatodep

Renatodep

Hey MrDude. I didnt see that. So it is possible to make the text appear letter by letter then. If so I will definetly purchase your engine!!! I got confused because there was a post where someone said it couldnt do it. But with the modification in page 7 it seems possible then.

25. MrDude

MrDude

My motto is simple:
    "If it can't be done, find a way"
    Anything is possible for programmers :p
    ( I think I'm gonna attempt flying next week :p )

26. huxley

huxley

From the UDE Readme:
    It would be great if you could fix this. Some of the angles code is still in the crPlayer script. I'm not using the ActionsHUD at all, but I'm still trying to use your proximity triggers to save some time. Adding the front angle range would be a nice addition.

For a paid script I think it's best to finish whats in there or comment it out to avoid any confusion.

27. MrDude

MrDude

Actually, the proximity stuff is added in as a free bonus as it was a simple way to demonstrate an effective implementation of a trigger to start up the UDE, but I agree with you on the second part, if the variable is not working then don't show it in the inspector!

It has been my intention to fix that glitch at some point but I never got around to it and it didn't seem like anyone was actually using it so it was never a real priority, until now. Now that I had a request to get this fixed, I went ahead and did so. Turns out I was taking height into consideration also when determining wether I was facing an item or not. If an item's transform was higher than the player's transform then the look angle was adjusted and just messed up the angle calculations. I needed to calculate the angle in terms of left-and-right, not 3 dimensionally... duh!

The way I intended for it to work was to have the sphere determine wether something was within interact distance or not and then do a scan to see if the item was within a certain angle from the character. I fixed that so it works like it is supposed to.

To get it to behave properly, simply play around with the look angle and the interact distance. In the demos I have my interact distance set to virtually touch the character before you can interact and I have a restricted view angle of 30 degrees left and 30 degrees right. To see items easier, in my tests I increased the angle to 45 degrees and that gave a much better response. The closer you get to an item, the more likely you will be to miss the object's transform position so by increasing the interact distance to half a meter from the character will give you better reach and a larger field of view. Just play with the two values until you are happy with the result. If you keep the angle high (like 85 degrees) you will have a near 180 degree view angle, but then if you keep the interact distance tight you won't be interacting with the boat in the middle of the lake... Just play with it until you get a setting you like...

Simply download the script here and replace your current one with this file. The next update of the UDE will have this updated version included but here it is for now.

Enjoy

Attached Files:

28. huxley

huxley

Works great, Dude. A very nice update to a full featured script base, look forward to using this more.

29. MrDude

MrDude

I can rest easy now... phew :)

When you have something ready to show on your website, I would love to have a screenshot of your game's title screen (or a logo with the title's name) so I can add it to my website with a link back to your site. This gives me something new to put on my website and it gets you some extra traffic also. :)

Anyways, as always, enjoy. :)

30. MrDude

MrDude

I am finally getting around to turning the GameKeys class into a fully fledged inventory system for use both with shops and player equipment configuration etc etc etc...

Now, my "traditional 2D RPG" obsession has forced me to make my first shop in the style shown in the images below... :p The inventory system will be released as a standalone product but the first version will be included as a free bonus in UDE 2.

The UDE is getting some major revisions done to it and the inventory system is but one example of the changes that is coming...

Anyways, as with the UDE I want to include a number of sample interfaces with the package. This time round, though, I don't want to make my own and tell you : "These are your samples". I would prefer, this time round, to get some submissions from you in terms of shop design and inventory layouts etc. I will then take some of those and create fully functional shops and or config screens based on your designs and include that in the package...

Should I turn this into a competition or should I just let everyone submit their ideas or would you prefer I come up with a few designs and just give you what I come up with? What are your thoughts on this?

Have a gander at what I have done thus far and feel free to submit your thoughts...

31. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

is ude going to work with unity 3
    and is there a discount in ude 2 for ude users ?

32. MrDude

MrDude

I just had a Unity 3 user test it out and it seems there is a line or two that needs changing in the c# version for it to function in Unity 3. It sounded like it took him a matter of minutes to fix so I will be sorting that out on launch day. Not to worry.

As for current UDE owners, all future UDE upgrades are free as always :)

33. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

thank you man :D
    your the best

34. kenlem

kenlem

MrDude,

I'm sure you are already doing this but please, please, please make sure the GUI isn't tightly tied with the inventory system. :)

35. MrDude

MrDude

Kenlem: Sorry, mate.. not following.... What do you mean?

Basically, the UDE gives you a number of API functions and using that you can create any style GUI you want. What I am doing with the inventory system is I allow you to use an item prefab as a key entry instead of just text. I then give you a host of options of how to retrieve that data and again give you the freedom to design any GUI you might need. Hence why I asked for some interface designs. The code to do the inventory stays the same, the layout of the data is all that differs...

To give you an example. You can still add keys like normal using the
    Code (csharp):
    2. Inventory.add("PigsFound", 1);
    3. var pigsFound = Inventory.getKeyValue("PigsFound");
    But now you can also pass in a prefab instead of the key name and retrieve all those using a simple call to Inventory.GetInventory() which will return a list of all inventory prefabs currently in that inventory. Thus, give an inventory to the group and give an inventory to each party member and then do this:

Code (csharp):
    2. function DetermineInventory()
    3. {
    4.     if (curPartyMember == 0)
    5.     {
    6.         switch (Page)
    7.         {
    8.             case 0:
    9.                 curInventory = Globals.PartyInventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Weapon);
    10.                 break;
    12.             case 1:
    13.                 curInventory = Globals.PartyInventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Potion);
    14.                 break;
    16.             case 2:
    17.                 curInventory = Globals.PartyInventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Item);
    18.                 break;
    19.         }
    20.     } else
    21.     {
    22.         switch (Page)
    23.         {
    24.             case 0:
    25.                 curInventory = Party[curPartyMember - 1].Inventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Weapon);
    26.                 break;
    28.             case 1:
    29.                 curInventory = Party[curPartyMember - 1].Inventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Potion);
    30.                 break;
    32.             case 2:
    33.                 curInventory = Party[curPartyMember - 1].Inventory.GetInventoryByType(eItemType.Item);
    34.                 break;
    35.         }
    36.     }
    37. }
    ... now that you have the data, the only remaining question is "How am I gonna display it?"

If you mean making one dependent on the other, that is another story. I am trying my best to make them as independent from each other as possible but I have run into a small snag... I have replaced the crGameKeys class with a crInventory class and then made crGameKeys a subclass of that so this means both classes are identical BUT when I pass in a crInventory param to a function requiring a crGameKeys it complains about incompatible types and when I do a "as crGameKeys" it always passes in a null... So this means that any code you have already created that uses the crGameKeys class will need to be updated to crInventory... but do you think I am happy with telling people that?!? So I modified the UDE to accept either crGameKeys or crInventory so that any products already using the UDE won't break when they upgrade...

Hopefully you can see that my goal is to make everything compatible with each other but still make each product completely independent of each other...

36. tatoforever

tatoforever

Very good effort MrDude on letting existing UDE users (as me) being able to upgrade seamless to the UDE2.
    Luckily, I dint had the time to work on the interface yet (so on the UDE integration to our project).
    I'll provably wait till this update to work on that.
    PS: Good suggestion by Kenlem on keeping everything as much independant as possible.
    Cheers and keep the good work MrDude! :)

37. outtoplay

outtoplay

This looks great, could be mighty handy for a project I'd like to do. Few quick questions:

1 - Dialog Editor does not work in Unity iPhone? Is this a mute point now with U3?

2- Can this system be used for something lie the old King's Quest (or any of the Quest) type games? I'd assume yes, but just checking if inventory and action tracking occurs between levels/scenes

3- Is the promo code still in affect?

thanks,
    B.

38. MrDude

MrDude

Hia.

To answer your questions simply and directly:
    1. Yup! :)

2. I can honestly say I never touched a computer before 1996 and back then I was not interested in video games so I have never played Kings Quest, I'm sorry to say...I've heard of it and know of it, but never played it so I am afraid that one I can't comment on...

3. Yup :) Just use 3ISHERE during checkout and the discount will automatically be applied.

And on to other news, I just got my first shop fully working and am now moving on to the in-game inventory HUD and inventory views screens.

One new element I think a lot of you will be happy with ins the new UDE / Inventory system is the inclusion of a save and load system. :)
    I just thought I'd share that little bit of news with you... :)

39. outtoplay

outtoplay

You so deserve a nice cold beer for your efforts... Guess you'll have to settle for a thumbs up, a product purchase, and a virtual beer... []D

best,
    B.

40. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

verrrry nicccce :D
    keep it up :)

41. Zu01

Zu01

Affordable...Err wait 100! Ya to much...

42. gamenut30111

gamenut30111

Its definitely affordable, for the amount of time that saves.

43. tatoforever

tatoforever

MrDude is very responsive. He's always trying to help UDE users as much as he can, even when not too much related to UDE. :)
    On the other hand, UDE upgrades are free. So what are you waiting for? ^^

44. MrDude

MrDude

Actually, $80 for the time being. Just enter the voucher 3ISHERE during checkout, but if you are really a student like your sig suggests, send me a PM to get the education discount voucher.

Tatoforever: :oops: Aww shucks... Making me blush. Always nice to feel appreciated. Thanks :)

Brendang: Niiiice. Summer is almost here and the nights are becoming warmer. This ice cold beer was all I needed on Saturday when we had our 9pm BBQ :) Now I have a reason to hold another one... oh, wait, virtual beer = virtual BBQ :p I think I saw such an app in the iStore :) Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated :)

Also, another thing... I have signed up with TinyUtopia and DimeRocker and created a really fancy login prefab for TinyUtopia. Really easy to use and I think it looks quite professional... but from my experiences, getting data from them is a bit awkward so I went to DimeRocker instead what with my sometimes not getting the cash balance returned leaving players stranded with 0 cash...

I am constantly adding in DimeRocker code and the realising "Oh wait, not everyone will be signed up with them" and then have to remove it again... So I am thinking of adding in a DimeRocker enabled sample project also... but for the life of me I can't figure out how to log in :p LOL. It seems during development I am permanently logged in but I can't figure out how to let users log in...

So I can now provide you with a real fancy TinyUtopia login screen and then interact with DimeRocker... I guess I still have a ways to go :p

45. mikevanman

mikevanman

Hi I'm just about to order your UDE (pondered for a while now regret not been able to use it over summer (its almost over))

On the order form it mentions an "option" for an extended download period of 24 months (for £12)

do I need this, for example I understand that I'll also be able to get future updates of UDE (I presume U3 will be out anytime) but do I need to have this extended Download period to get them.

speak soon and order

mike

46. MrDude

MrDude

Hia

Personally, I don't like it but it is there for those who want it. Basically what it means is you have a URL to download the product from. Each time there is an update or if you loose the file you just log in and you will always have access to the latest version.

The alternative is to contact me for the URL and then just sit around and wait until I read my mail and then for when you check it again after I did. I try to reply to people immediately whenever I can so 99% chance I won't keep you waiting 24 hours but if you want it immediately then that option is the way to ago.

If you have a little bit of patience then contacting me directly can save you that extra expense.

47. mikevanman

mikevanman

sorted

I'll order know

48. MrDude

MrDude

Okay guys n gals: Time for another update.
    Good news, bad news this time...

Bad news - iKeep is in a coma, facing death
    iKeep has officially been demoted to a lower class project. I was looking forward to giving you a simple to use inventory system but as I was developing it I ran into a few concerns and came up with another product I will be offering you instead...

Good news - RPG Starter Kits!
    I was showing a list of shop items and realized that setting up an inventory VIEW script takes as little as 5 minutes to create from scratch... But how useless is that?! So I decided to create a store instead and use that as a demo. So I allowed you to buy content to your party bag and to sell either from your bag or from your party members...

But for the sample I could just load an array of party members for you to use but again, it would be a hack and not representative of what you would do in a real game...

So, for the iKeep demo project I started working on a shop system, an in-game hud, an inventory viewer, the ability to use items from within the item viewer, party member add/remove, weapons config, armor config, spells config... All with both keyboard and mouse navigation.

I can then create various kits in different styles and themes and provide you with working setups ready to be dragged and dropped into your game. iKeep will be the base product required to make any of the kits work. Creating these kits are a little time consuming when doing from scratch but once you have one, modifying it into another theme should be a breeze.

Of course, the kits will be optional since the iKeep script has enough functions to allow you to create all of these with ease... the kits are meant to be a time saver for people who just don't WANT to create their own or to provide a sample to create their own from...

As you may have seen on the website, I was busy with a turn based fighting system. The idea was to have the products separate but compatible. Now with the inventory system that was spawned from the UDE, I will be using various classes I created for the TBF system so the projects are now becoming even more compatible.

The RPG Starter Kits will come with cut down versions of the player and spells classes from the TBF. This means that the UDE project will be restructured to use a specific folder structure and the other kits will use the same so when you get the new kits, I will provide them in the form of packages that you can just install into your project rather than manually placing the files. This way, when you install the various kits, everything will fall neatly into place and place you squarely on your way to having a fully fledged PRG game...

So this is what is in store for the UDE and iKeep. Just thought I'd keep you updated.

Ta

49. tatoforever

tatoforever

So, no more updates for UDE anymore?

50. MrDude

MrDude

Now why would you go and think something silly like that for?

Now there will be various kits that all can interlock to create one massive thingimibob. When I first released the UDE I thought it was 'perfect'. When the first person said to me 'updates' I was thinking: 'Huh? What more could you want?' And from there the ideas started flowing in.

As long as there are ideas for improvements, there will be updates coming :)

For example: I use a lot of static variables in the script to try and cut some overhead in terms of memory. What I have done in this new version is simply free all memory when a dialogue ends and make all static variables private. As a result the UDE is now online ready also. There is a new tag in there called [camera] which I will leave to you detectives out there to figure out what that is for :p

I've also formed a collaboration with another person to bring you yet another feature that has been requested a few times... but not sure if I should spill the beans on this one until I've had a chance to see if this will be integrated or run as a plugin...