Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Dialogue Engine - Out now!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MrDude, Aug 5, 2009.

1. MrDude

MrDude

Glad to hear it, M_Stolley :D

I've said it before, but I have tried to make it as easy as possible, but what is easy for me might not be easy for others so I am glad to hear that I was successful in making it easy to pick up :D

Hope you have fun (on your vacation and with the UDE) and remember, any problems, I am but a PM away :)

2. MrDude

MrDude

-post removed-
    Outdated links

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  3. MrDude

MrDude

Finally I can make the announcement... :)

Ninja Portal and 3DMedia have joined forces!

3DMedia is a content provider focusing on content for Unity and I find his work to be incredible. We agreed that combining the UDE with his Fantasy Village Pack 1 would be a great way to showcase what I have said about how the UDE can instantly make your game world interactive.

I have taken the UDE and used it to make nearly everything in his village interactive. All and all it took around 10 t 12 working hours to do everything from writing the dialogue, planning the missions and making the world interactive...

I also added in something that I feel I must warn people about. In another game I did a while back, I added a clause that if you insult a character three times, he will refuse to speak to you and thus, you loose the mission he was going to give you and all things that come afterwards also. i have also built this into this demo. If you speak to Bruu and tell him you are not interested in helping him, you will not be able to do any of the missions in the game... Just be aware of that...

Well, enough talk, start playing :)
    The demo can be found here:
    http://www.mybadstudios.com/?page_id=86

We have more surprises in store for you but we will leave that for another time... :)

I hope you have fun with this little demo...

4. MrDude

MrDude

Demo updated... :)

5. RoyS

RoyS

You couldn't have teamed up with a better person. His villages are fantastic and reminds me a lot of Oblivion.

I found someone to talk to in the blacksmith shop. I like the eye icon which tells a bit about the person you are talking with.

This is a very nice dialogue editor. It has a lot of features you don't see much in commercial games. I'm glad I purchased it. :D

6. MrDude

MrDude

Hint: Look near the river...
    When you find Bruu, speak to him ... a couple of times... I was trying to be funny :p

7. IPete

IPete

Hey there Mr Dude,

I only just saw this - looks like a great piece of work, congratulations.

All the best,

8. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

9. MrDude

MrDude

ipete:
    Thanks for the support. Positive feedback is always welcome :)

maxfax2009:
    That statement is not entirely correct...

The Dialogue Editor is not Unity iPhone compatible, no. The actual engine itself works on the iPhone just perfectly. Essentially, for the iphone you have two choices:
    1. Use Unity 2.5 to create your dialogue files
    2. Create your dialogue files in TextEdit
    Then simply copy them over to your iPhone project and voila.

The UDE consists of 3 separate elements:
    1. The base engine that is supported by Unity 2.5 and Unity iPhone
    2. The graphical dialogue editor that is only compatible with Unity 2.5
    3. The displays. I provide you with some samples to get you going and you can then create your interface to look any way you want.

I am a tad disappointed that the Graphical editor isn't compatible, but unfortunately that is out of my control :(

This means you are not alone in feeling down about it. One day, when Unity iPhone is integrated into Unity, perhaps then we can all rejoice, but for now, if you really want the UDE but the iPhone GUI really bothers you, send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out...

I am currently hosting a competition on my website where you could get yourself a free copy of the UDE. If you have any models you created that are just laying around, why not enter them and see what happens...?

Ta

10. kenlem

kenlem

Couldn't you make a version of the editor that works on Unity iPhone 1.5? Is there some functionality present in 2.5 that you could replicate somehow in Unity iPhone?

11. MrDude

MrDude

I was thinking about that a while ago. I thought I came up with a way to do this but I would then have to remove the "idiot-proof" features and I would be begging people to make mistakes that would completely break the dialogue... and then I noticed it wouldn't work, anyway...

I came to the conclusion that the only way to do this would be to a write a separate app in Xcode, but if yo are going to load a separate program to create your dialogue in,then why not just load Unity to do it?

Have a look at the included image... Just getting it to show up in the first place was a bit of trickery to be sure. But this is as far as I can get it to work...

Attached Files:

12. MrDude

MrDude

As you can see, the text input fields don't even show up and the drag and drop image field is completely broken...

This is the kind of problems I am experiencing. If the GUI elements aren't working in Unity iPhone then there is no way I can use them and thus no way to make the editor work...

:(

13. kenlem

kenlem

Understood... I guess using Unity 2.5 as the editor isn't that much of a problem. Thanks for the explanation.

14. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

Just a little note for the attention of all of you who have already bought the UDE. There is a bug in the UDE's sample projects that will be fixed in the next update. I am having some issues with the C# syntax so the update is taking a little longer than expected thus, for now, please read on...

The UDE was designed to let you have as many people as you want inside of one conversation, but you can only have one active dialogue at a time. If you don't disable your display scripts when you drag it onto (an) object(s), you will run into various unpredictable errors as each active script will try to display it's dialogue even though you have not properly initialized them.

For now, please add this function to your display files and any issues you might be experiencing should be fixed.

Code (csharp):
    2. function Awake()
    3. {
    4. enabled = false;
    5. }
    Sorry for leaving out such a major thing up till now. Hope it didn't cause you too much grief.

Mind you, when you build your own displays, you can do it in various ways and in so doing completely avoid this issue (for instance, you could have a single, static dialogue display instance inside a singleton, for example, and make all objects use that instance...), but the way I chose to do the sample displays included with the UDE, this is an issue.

K, speak soon.
    Ta

15. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

It is nearly Xmas and to celebrate the good will, Unity's charity and just life in general I have decided to offer you all a 20% discount on the UDE up until 31 December. Just use the promotion code ENDOFYEAR09 during checkout to claim your discount.

Okay, so this is old news as I already made the announcement a couple of days ago. However, this post is intended to make the deal even sweeter... I wanted ever so badly to be able to do this before Xmas and with 9 days left, as of 17 minutes ago, I can finally announce:
    The UDE is now officially a 2-for-1 deal.
    The UDE now ships with a C# version also!

Everyone who buys the UDE from today onwards will receive both the JavaScript version and the C# version !!!

This release also has a few bug fixes in place so those of you who bought the extended download product, simply log into ShareIt and download the update.

If you don't already have the UDE Head on over to http://www.mybadstudios.com to get yourself a copy.

Merry Xmas, everyone :)

16. Hans

Hans

does it work in the lastest windows ver?

17. RoyS

RoyS

I purchased UDE when it first came out. Will I be able to get the bug fixes?

18. zumwalt

zumwalt

This rocks for the price, forget what anyone is doing as far as complaining about the price. I used paypal through digital river / share it, which said the purchase was delayed for some strange reason (share it is always this way, always problems) anyway it is bought (money shows instant through paypal to your account btw, can get you that reference also)

I can't wait to play with this thing!
    Let me know if you don't have the cash in the next day or so and I will forfeit the payment in paypal and reverse it against digital river.

19. kenlem

kenlem

I would hope that bug fixes and the new C# version would be available as a free update to previous purchasers.

20. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all.

I am so glad to hear you so excited about this update :)

RoyS:
    Hey ! Dude! The new version of the UDE also includes a changelog.txt and you are credited in there for your suggestions wayyyy back then. Of course you can get the update, bru!

Everyone who buys the UDE gets free updates for life. Those who bought the extended download option from ShareIt can just log in and download whenever they so please. Those who don't, well, them I contacted directly to give them an alternate download URL. As it is, the first 5 sales were through PayPal and the notifications went to my wife's email address and she deleted them, eventually. Hense, the first 5 people didn't get their notifications... Roy, you were customer number 2 :D

Hans:
    The UDE itself will work in all versions of Unity from 2.5 onwards, but the sample projects are only compatible with Unity 2.6.

21. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks, got everything OK, however you will want to go through your projecta and remove all of the ._ files prior to zipping it up for people to download, I am cleaning all those up right now myself in my copy, but they cause issues, I can only assume you are using Unity's asset server which creates those maybe, dunno, anyway, great work!

Although I own Maya, it is best for your sample projects to include FBX conversions of any models, not the Maya versions, you might want to change that and update the samples, not everyone buying this will have the purchasing power to own Maya.

WOW, this thing is not only amazing but super powerful! People, if you do not own this, get it while he has the 20% discount, if not then get it after new years, either way, GET IT, holy crap is this cool and easy to use! This has solved so many problems of mine in 1 minute that I can't begin to express, seriously GET IT!!!

22. MrDude

MrDude

I could be wrong but I think this is another happy customer right here :D

Thanks for the praise, Wumwalt. I can't wait to see what you do with it ;D

23. zumwalt

zumwalt

Happy, hell I am estatic, I typically buy each new thing that people make as tools, like the road creator and the fractal terrain creator, even the iPhone enhancement kit, this by far is one of the coolest so far, seriously the posibilites are endless with this thing. I can only see you making this thing even cooler, what you have done and the techniques you did this with can be expanded to a turn based battle system with dialogue, instead of an answer you can throw in a command like attack, defend, cast spell, etc then those result in continued command evaluation, it is just the tip of the iceburg.

I could easily see you charging $250 for this as it is now. I am very impressed with it and what I have done with it in just 1 day. I am hounding my artist now to get me some avatars and some other images for an in game shop dialogue with item lists, this thing is just way to much fun.

24. franbon2005

franbon2005

hey

i try to upload the update from shareit but when i press the update button nothing happend

what can i do for download the update

thanks for your answer

i buy the ude the 14 September 2009

25. Dreamora

Dreamora

the ._ files in the zip are a consequence of some editors and UTF encoded files on windows commonly.
    I've seen them in the past, commonly when you drag drop utf files into editors instead of using the "open file" way.

Looking forward to experiment with it in my prototype.

26. zumwalt

zumwalt

It is exteremly fun and easy to use, I know you will like it, probably as much as I do.

27. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

If you cant or wont pay 100 than simply dont buy it. Not unreasonable.

28. scarletsnake

scarletsnake

MrDude, the product looks user friendly and useful, and IMHO with an idea this popular you should really take the next few steps and make this into something like this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgagsRXpJC0 .

Frankly I think you've got a great idea but I can see how some people think its too expensive, with what unity is capable of and all, if you were ever to create a dialogue system in which 3d characters speak to one another that would easily be worth twice the amount you're asking for right now. I think you really have a great idea for a product here that almost everyone would be interested in. I guess all you have to do is assign the speech animations to the scripts for when speech actually occurs. Maybe you could do two packages, like 2D and 3D versions? Of course, its your call.

Congrats on the product :)

29. kenlem

kenlem

hmmmm I just happen to have code to translate english text into visemes (mouth shapes). It's a bit rough but sometimes but it's better than making the mouth flap randomly. Mr Dude... let me know if you want to use my code in a new version. ;)

30. Hans

Hans

well i have purchased it - still waiting on the d/l link for it.....

31. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all. For some reason I stopped getting notifications so I didn't realize there were so many replies... :eek: :eek:

Anyways, to answer the queries:

franbon2005:
    I am at work now so I can't verify but your post sounds familiar. I think it was you I sent out the direct download link to, wasn't it? If you still don't have the file, please PM me and I will send you the URL.

Hans:
    I noticed your order come though. You bought it from ShareIt so you should have gotten your download link immediately. Did you ever get it or are you still waiting? If you are still waiting, just log into your Shareit account and download from there. If you are still stuck just PM me and I will send you an alternate download link.

dreamora:
    I have noticed that if I unzip the UDE in OSX it looks fine but when I unzip it in Windows I get a _MACOSX folder amongst others. I have been at a loss to explain it. Also, I am eager to hear how your prototyping progresses. I have read a lot of your posts while I've been on the forums and I have come to think quite highly of your abilities so when I saw you bought the UDE I got very nervous... What will Dreamora think? After all the help he has given me, now he is using something of mine... Nervous much! :p

zumwalt:
    I have been struggling to come up with ideas for updates. That update you mentioned to me earlier would be a real nice touch. Then, just today, when using the UDE in a contracted job I am doing I just found another nice little feature to add... Text replacement... Anywhere you enter <key:bla>, the text will be replaced with the value of "bla" in the currently active GameKeys variable. I can't believe I didn't think of this sooner. Surely this is gonna be a useful little feature to have...? Simple to do but quite useful.

"Forget it! You can't bribe me with only <key:GoldCoins> coins! I want at least 2000!"
    or
    "Hurry, there are <key:RedGuards> guards approaching the hut. Get your <key:CurrentWeapon> and get the heck out of there!"

scarletsnake:
    When I get home I will have a look at that link of yours. They block youtube here at work... :( Anyways, from what you wrote here it sounds like you might be referring to speech bubbles. That is indeed possible and only requires a display file to be created for it. Having said that, I think that would be a very complex display file to create so I think it would add great value if I were to create that and add it to the downloads section as a free download. Thanks for the heads-up

If that was not what you meant, I will have a look tonight and find out what you DID mean :p
    As it is, if your character already has speech animation then making the character play the correct animation will take about 10 lines of coding. In fact, in the downloads section there are 2 nearly identical scripts to download. Turning one of them into a "play this animation" script will take like 1 minute and it is done... and then there will be 3 nearly identical scripts to download... :p :D If, on the other hand, the animations are not already done then that is a completely different matter...

kenlem:
    This is where you come in :D
    This discussion has now turned towards an animation system direction. As it is I can't see it being vital to the UDE since I would assume making faces animate would require a couple of bones in the face and I can't imagine everyone would simply happen to have them in their models.
    Having said that, ideas are flying through my head...

Not wanting to turn down any useful ideas, what I have in mind is to make that code available on the downloads section and build the corresponding script(s) to make it work so those people who do have their models setup with the bones in place can have access to it and can have that extra features also. Thus, if anyone wants to add lip-syncing from plain text files the option is merely a few clicks away...

I will PM you to find out some more details about this code. Thanks for the offer.

I was hoping that the UDE would be popular enough to build some kind of a following and then those who use it would share their updates with each other so they buy the base system and then expand it into an absolute monster as time goes on. As it is, I have seen some real innovative uses from a number of people, but the stuff they do is largely project-specific. These feature requests you guys have been making, I am liking this... :D I can both improve upon the basic UDE as well as offer upgrades. Real cool. Thanks for the support and the ideas. I am really appreciating this :D

If you have any further ideas on how to improve the UDE please feel free to let me know.

Again, thanks for all the support you guys have shown me thus far.

32. MrDude

MrDude

I must have the worst ISP in history... There was wind last night so I didn't have internet the entire evening... Nice! :(

Anyways, I have wanted to include this in the downloads section ... but haven't, yet... so I am just letting you know it is available.

You may or may not have played the demo that shows the collaboration between 3DMedia and myself, but for those of you who don't know about it, this demo has virtually everything in it as an inspect-able item. On top of this, there is a mini-RPG mission included also. The demo features characters that give you mission objectives, require items to be collected to provide you with [whatever] etc etc etc. All of this is done through the UDE.

I have uploaded the scripts for your attention so you can see how to use the UDE to create an entire mission. If you are an existing UDE costomer and then go and buy the content pack from 3DMedia, just mention that you are a UDE customer and you will receive the scene with the UDE integrated into it as a bonus product at no extra cost. Alternatively, have a look at the scripts and see just how simple it is to create an RPG using the UDE.

As always, enjoy...

Attached Files:

33. MrDude

MrDude

scarletsnake:
    I had a look at that video this morning. I have to admit it does look good. In keeping with what I said before, this is more a case of animation and bone setup in 3D characters but combined with kenlem's offer this could easily become a standalone product running alongside the UDE and I can then create an interface between the two...

After all, this does have to do with dialogues after all so it would fit in nicely on my site. I would ideally like to have all the elements people would need to make an RPG available in one location so this would definitely fit the bill...

Kenlem:
    Here is how I see it, please help me out where I am wrong...
    1. Models would require certain bones in the faces without which we can do nothing. I am guessing 4 bones for up and down and forming 'O'-shapes. Perhaps 6 to allow for inflating-sucking up of the cheeks.
    2. Since characters will vary, I would assume an editor would be required in which people will have to animate the bones to fit certain mouth shapes to prevent distortion of their models.
    3. So I will need to include documentation explaining to people how to rig their character's faces and how to use the editor.
    4. Kenlem's code needs to be attached per character and the UDE then needs to send the text to his code to do the animation.
    5. The UDE needs to be updated to include references to actual GameObjects to be able to send dialogue to specific objects.
    6. Additionally, it would be a good idea for the UDE to also store a reference to an actual audio file to play along with the animation...

Does that sound about right?

34. ChezDoodles

ChezDoodles

Just wondering if I also was among your first customers. Could you please help me get the update?

My email address is sven at amazinggames.com.

Thanks!

35. MrDude

MrDude

Link sent :)

36. filmcraft

filmcraft

I bought the original version a while ago and I'm just coming back, I've read there is a 1.5 version now, but how do I get it? Or is it a paid upgrade?

37. MrDude

MrDude

Hi there

Firstly, sorry, I thought I had contacted everyone already! My bad!
    Secondly, no, the UDE has a lifetime free update clause so once you buy it you never pay me to get any bug fixes or updates.

Just drop me a mail and I'll sort you out :)

38. Davaris

Davaris

Hi,
    I would be interested in this project if you created a graphical editor with nodes and lines with arrows. The way you have it now, makes it look like it would be too difficult to create and visualise very complicated conversation trees.

Also I don't know if you have it, but it would be nice to be able include action functions where I could write C# code to activate at certain points in a conversaton.

39. tatoforever

tatoforever

Awesome product!
    Keep the good work!
    Cheers,

40. MrDude

MrDude

No inventory editor, yet, no. The inventory system works as follows:

Code (csharp):
    2. var myInventory : crGameKeys = new crGameKeys();
    3. ...
    5. function PickupCrossbowAmmo()
    6. {
    7. myInventory.add("CrossBowAmmo", 5);
    8. if (myInventory.doesNotHave("Crossbow",1))
    9.     myInventory.add("Crossbow", 1);
    10. }
    12. function FireCrossbow()
    13. {
    14. if (myInventory.doesHave("CrossbowAmmo",1))
    15.     myInventory.subtract("CrossbowAmmo", 1);
    16. if (myInventory.doesNotHave("CrossbowAmmo",1))
    17.     myInventory.remove("Crossbow", 1);
    18. }
    As for iPhone, it comes with sample projects for both desktop and iPhone so you can just unzip, open a project and hit build...

With regards to calling external scripts, that is one of the major strengths of the UDE. It really is as easy as it can be...

Try this:
    Code (csharp):
    2. [keys] Animation Play Kick  Sound Play Oww  Scores Update 1000  + CrossbowAmmo 5
    Then create a script that goes:
    Code (csharp):
    2. function ProcessKeys(arg : String)
    3. {
    4.   var args : Array = arg.Split(" "[0]);
    5.   switch (args[0])
    6.   {
    7.    case "Animation":
    8.      switch (args[1])
    9.      {
    10.         case "Play":
    11.           animation.CrossFade(args[2], 1); break;
    12.         case "Stop":
    13.           CallAnimationFunc(args[2]); break;
    14.      } break;
    16.   }
    17. }
    Hope that answers your questions :)

41. tatoforever

tatoforever

I bought UDE just before you answer my questions, that's why i lately edit my first post. :)
    Great product! This is the first time in my professional life, that i bought something for a community member. I always make everything that i need, but you know, in business space = money, sorry time = money and your product (as Unity itself) really cut development time project (and so money) by a lot!
    A suggestion for a further update:
    Try to make more editors for your own product, an inventory editor should be very welcome.

42. tatoforever

tatoforever

Hi MrDude, is there a way to adjust the words warp zone inside the dialogue? Looks like words get off the screen or they get off the dialogue bounds.
    Take a look at the iPhoneSampleProjet, open the tutorial scene and start a dialogue with the NPC, you will see what i mean.
    Cheers, :)

43. filmcraft

filmcraft

Yea I noticed that too, and while where on the subject, is there a way to determine the speed to which the text shows on screen? For example can it scroll on instead of instant on?

44. tatoforever

tatoforever

I haven't take a deep look on the whole project/tutorials, but investigating right now. I think the "2D" dialogue Hud texture, have smaller bounds that the logical dialogue bounds. I dint saw this on the PC/MAC projects.
    Other than that, am getting lot of UDE Syntax error, provably the internal scripting system of UDE as it looks like a normal debug info on the console.
    Cheers,

45. tatoforever

tatoforever

Is there a reason why the DialogueEditor doesn't show up on Unity iPhone?
    Cheers,

46. filmcraft

filmcraft

From what I understand you have to do your design in Unity then port it over to iphone for unity

47. MrDude

MrDude

Hi there

Yes, this issue has been addressed before but who could blame someone for not wanting to read through 6 pages of comments :p As it is, this is a limitation on Unity iPhone's end. With some hacking it is possible to make an editor window appear, but the content in it is broken. It seems Unity isn't paying much attention to fixing it since they intend to merge the two products together (Unity and Unity iPhone) and at that time the issue will be fixed automatically (as I understand it). So until then I am afraid the Dialogue Editor is compatible with Unity only.

I am curious about the syntax errors you mentioned. Where, what, how? Are you referring to the debug info? If so, then this is funny as including this was specifically requested for this last release... Lol! You know that saying about pleasing everyone? :D

With regards to the clipping.... Oh the age old question about text clipping... You really should do yourself a favour and search around the forums for people asking questions about font handling... Oi! You and I are not alone in our quest for font handling abilities... Even I released a rather lengthy document on here on a method I employ to handle my font scaling issues. The way I do it solves the vertical spacing issue but the horizontal issue... that is another issue altogether! :(

In fact, I was thinking of investigating Mono and seeing if it has font handling abilities like PHP and if so, see if I can build a font handling function to release into the community... I only have like 1 day's experience with PHP but that was specifically with regards to creating dynamic text to fit within a specific area and that worked just fine so if Mono has the same functionality (I don't know Mono but had a look at it once and saw a lot of libraries) then perhaps that might offer a solution...?

But unfortunately, unless something has changed since last time I looked, Unity doesn't have run-time font scaling abilities and nobody, as far as I know of, has released any Mono routines to manipulate fonts...

48. tatoforever

tatoforever

Alright, open the SampleProject project inside "UDE1.3\UDE\JavaScript" folder, open the Tutorial scene and talk to the buddy in front of you. You will see the debug syntax errors.
    It happens on the PC/MAC version and the iPhone one and i guess is a syntax error trow by the UDE scripting language but no unity errors and is working 100% fine, so no need to worry. ^^
    Cheers.

49. filmcraft

filmcraft

Just asking again, but is there a way to have the text scroll on instead of instant flash on?

50. MrDude

MrDude

Hi all

In keeping with my promise to always discount the UDE while Unity is discounting Unity.... (That sounds weird :p ), I have now started a new discount campaign.

When you get to checkout, simply enter the voucher and you will get a 20% discount on your purchase. Enjoy.

Voucher: 3ISHERE