Unity Community

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

1. Location
    UK - London
    This sounds good but there's no way in heck I'm buying anything without seeing it in action.

2. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    see the page before, there are 2 vids and a webplayer

3. Location
    The sunken city of R'lyeh
    I tried the webplayer, couldn't get it to work.

Scooted on up to the cartoon chick, the lips highlighted but no amount of clicking on them produced any activity whatsoever. I even tried having the rabbit stand on her head!

4. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    Did you try pressing the "L" key as in the directions?

I mapped the 4 icons to the J,I,L and K buttons.

I will consider the clickable icons as a feature request and add that to the the next update.

In the sample scenes I use the OptionPrevious and OptionNext functions in the engine. There is an OptionSelect function specifically created for the use of the mouse. The demo scene and the scene in the first video both make use of the keyboard to select the relevant options. The second video shows an example of how to use the mouse to select dialogue options. To highlight this I created a sliding buttons class to separate the dialogue from the choices to indicate exactly how flexible the system is. So yes, even though it is not in the sample, mouse support is in there...

I think perhaps I should release the other sample scenes that are included in the pack as web playable demos... Hmmm... that's an idea... First fix that icon clickable thingy and then release a couple more playable demos... Done..!

That should keep me busy for a little while....

5. Posts
    You should really add a feature that allowed us to play sounds while the character is speaking (his speech), similar to the way Grandia II handles this. If you never played Grandia, check a few of the YouTube videos available.

And since you're going to the RPG way in this system, i believe that your next effort will be some sort of Turn-Based Battle system? That would be something worth $100.

6. Location
    The sunken city of R'lyeh
    Did you try pressing the "L" key as in the directions?

I mapped the 4 icons to the J,I,L and K buttons.
    Directions? Who reads directions?

7. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    Yo!

First thing's first, the demo now has full mouse support and instructions on the page. You can either start the dialogue with the L key or by clicking the icon.

Using the keyboard, up or down arrow selects the options and enter continues with the conversation. Using the mouse, click on the screen to continue the conversation. If you are viewing menus, just select the option you want and if it is an already selected option it will speak that option or or else it will just select the line. Alternatively, just hit the button on the side of the option you want...

Sound is already supported. I mentioned this in the pre-announcement but never mentioned it here or on the website. I am realizing that my website is VERY underdeveloped... I reall should make a few more pages explaining all of this...

The UDE allows you to do absolutely anything you want, right during the dialogue. If you were so enclined, you can start the game, start the dialogue, play your entire game, end the dialogue and then end the game.

Want to play audio with your dialogue? Done!
    Want to give your player an item during the dialogue? Done!
    Want to instantiate a SFX when that happens? Done!
    Want to create a spinning key above your character when you receive a gold key? Done!
    Want to play a jump animation when you receive an item? Done!
    Anything else you want to do. Done!
    Seriously...!

I have uploaded a web player in which I am showing off the ability to collect items during a dialogue session, instantiate a prefab at the same time and how one item can have multiple descriptions. Some of the crates in the level, when you look at them, will tell you to collect the item. Other crates will give you the option of collecting it while viewing it.

-Outdated links removed-

Secondly, Naruto references are now removed from the UDE and replaced with custom art. Thanks go to www.NinjaForge.com for the artwork.

Next on my list of things to do is to create a graphical front end for the Inventory. Included with the UDE is the crGameKeys class and that alone is an entire Inventory system. It is, however, essential for players to be able to inspect their inventory graphically so I am going to be making that next.

This is the exact reverse of the UDE. With the UDE I give you a complete dialogue system but because every game will want to display their dialogue in a different way, I only give you samples of how to create your own displays and give you the option of creating as many different displays as you want...

With the inventory system I will be giving you a front end only since you will already have the Inventory system...

However, after that, Armagon,you have hit the nail right on the head...

I am currently speaking to a guy about a possible collaboration with regards to a character system. But that is his deal so I don't want to go into details about that. I am also busy with negotiations regarding content packs. With what we have in the works already, the only things missing to create an entire RPG is custom art work for the UDE, the story line, the fancy cut scenes and the battle system. The first three I can't do for you, but the last... Can you say Final Fantasy?

As far as "the PRG way", the UDE is not just limited to RPGs. Not by a long shot... However, yes, I love RPGs and my ultimate goal is to provide the Unity community with a complete RPG Template. But that was supposed to be a surprise. I will do the bits I can and try to form collaborations where needed to bring you the bits I can't and together with these other artists we plan on bringing you ease of use like you cannot possibly begin to expect... Just watch this space... The UDE was merely step 1...
    Last edited by MrDude; 02-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MrDude
    Incredible... I've started a controversy
    Don't worry about it. Anytime anyone announces anything that is other than free, we go through the same discussion.

Don't fall for the "lower price=more copies" sold routine. You won't sell enough copies to make up for the price difference. Also, from my own experience, the users that aren't willing to pay much are going to be your most demanding, time consuming and unreasonable users. Keep the price right where it is and get on the iphone version!
    Slender Man Chapter 1:Alone [Google Play Store] [iTunes]

Slender Man Chapter 2:Survive [Google Play Store] [iTunes]

9. Location
    Chicago
    ^Seconded for truth
    Steve Bodnar - Animation Director
    FlipFrame Animation/Games

Recent Project - Bioshock Infinite
    Current Project - 'Unreleased'
    -------------------------------------------------
    Unity3D Pro / iOS Pro

10. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    so much truth it already hurts ...

$100 is a reasonable price for something like this with an idiot proof editor.

Would be something different if they were forced to handwrite XML trees for conversation.

11. Location
    Chicago
    Hehehe...

...equally painful is reading forums with people bitching about .99 cent apps that aren't these robust, console-like experiences...sigh.
    Steve Bodnar - Animation Director
    FlipFrame Animation/Games

Recent Project - Bioshock Infinite
    Current Project - 'Unreleased'
    -------------------------------------------------
    Unity3D Pro / iOS Pro

12. Location
    The Wasteland
    I love the way this one is set up. http://www.ninjaportal.com/NinjaPort...rialScene.html The mouse controls make it much easier.

This one will be one of the sets available to use when we purchase, right?

13. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    That is correct.

I will be making more as time goes on and those will be made available as free downloads also.

14. Posts
    On the verge of purchasing this.. just wondering if it will work with Unity iPhone without too much troubles.

Thanks!

15. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    iPhone support is coming. As it is, it won't work with the iPhone because I use dynamic typing and the iPhone demands static typing.

Thing is, the engine worked fine. Then I wanted to use it on the iPhone and I had to make some changes. I didn't need certain features so I left some stuff out.

When I then tried to use the the script at a later date I noticed some weird behavior. I tried to get it to work properly but it was broken. End of story. So I reverted back to the original and it works fine for now.

To give you an idea, if you add text to a turn then it accepts it fine. It loads it properly. When you load a requirement, it does THAT fine also and during debug sessions you can see it loads the text fine as well, but no text will be returned in game if any requirement was loaded, even though the debug showed that both were loaded properly... That was the kind of errors I had. So you can see why I had to remove iPhone support from the first release.

What I want to do now is make each change one at a time and then test thoroughly at each change to make sure nothing gets broken again. It should only be a small change, but I don't want to take any chances. By last week it was iPhone compatible with only 5 or so more minutes of work left to do... the next day I made it 100% not iPhone ready.

iPhone support is definitely coming, but it isn't included, yet, I am sorry to say...

16. Location
    Cloudcity
    Toss me into the pile of interested parties if you get the iPhone support working and stable, although I do feel $100 might be a tad high. I hate to say it, but in comparison, RPGMakerVX's entire RPG engine tool is only $69.

Also, you might want to pick up an old copy of Neverwinter Nights and look at their Conversation tree editor, and how well it could handle creating multi-branching and looping dialog. It was a very flexible system, and might give you some ideas to grow towards.

Thanks for your hard work in trying to put together this system! It really will fill a nice nitch in the array of tools for Unity devs!

17. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    I HATE NEVERWINTER NIGHTS

I was very ambitious for my first ever game product and had my idea all laid out and started working on it in Delphi. I used (I think it was called) Quark Swiss Army knife (or something like that) and created my first level. I had a church with hidden rooms, a dungeon system with overlapping routes and hidden passages inside walls that had to be unlocked via triggers deeper into the dungeon... I had complex story lines in place and had so many ideas it just wasn't funny...

It may have been my first game, but I had a game engine to do the graphics and physics and I had the required programming experience to get it going. I had ideas that I thought nobody had ever seen before
    and I couldn't wait to show people what I had in mind... After about 3 months of work I already had a working demo up and running, complete with dialogue and everything... Another 3 months of work and I was getting real excited about my project, well underway with my turn based fighting mechanic... and then it was announced... Neverwinter Nights is now released after 4 years of work... and wouldn't you believe it, every single one of my ideas was in there... Every single one of them... just by reading the first ever press release, all my ideas were exposed...

My unique idea had just been released by someone else who started working on my unique ideas 3 years before I had the unique ideas...

Like the characters always say in Anime:
    "I will never forgive them" ! How dare they!? :P

18. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    On another note, I did some work on the iPhone port this morning before work and it required surprisingly less work than I thought to get the compilation errors in the actual engine sorted out. (Yes, you read that correctly... It now compiles fine...!)

However, the Dialogue Editor is 800 lines of code and I had no concerns with typing the arrays so there are a LOT of compilation errors to work though... I then moved the editor out of the project to see if the dialogue engine actually works without the editor in the project, but I had to come to work before I could test it out...

This has made me very hopeful, though... So if all goes well it means the UDE is already iPhone compatible, but you have to create your dialogue in the normal version of Unity (or by hand). Small comfort. So fingers crossed that this is indeed the case because this would mean I can spend this long weekend getting the GUI Editor iPhone compatible also...

19. Location
    Zürich, Switzerland
    the main problem at the time likely also will be that you targeted the editor at Unity 2.5 and Unity iPhone is Unity 2.1 with the old editor framework.

Once Unity iPhone has the 2.5 editor backend, I would assume that you will also have less trouble using it.
    (I assume you put it into the editor folder, if you do, it does not care if it goes to iphone or not, that folder is not included in the build )

20. Location
    Brits, South Africa
    Good news and bad news...

The good news:
    The UDE is iPhone compatible

The bad news:
    The Editor isn't. I got everything to work so far with the exception of 1 single function... the function to make the window appear... Everything else works fine :P Well, it compiles fine at least... So yeah, as long as you are willing to create your dialogues in Unity, the rest of the UDE will run fine on the iPhone... Not ideal, but that's where it's at the moment...

I am now working on converting the displays for the iPhone so I can include an iPhone sample project also.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast