Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Jump Start - Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by TheLorax, Jul 19, 2009.

1. TheLorax

TheLorax

Unity Jump Start
    http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/ - Files available, front end coming.

Unity Jump Start was created to fill the need of simple introductory materials for the Unity 3D Game Engine. The idea is to increase the viewers abilities with Unity 3D by introducing topics, walking through the creation of a Proof Of Concept and then taking the Proof to a completed stage using 3D Models, 2D Graphics and Audio.

The first release is detailed below. It is a Proof Of Concept for a Simple Space Shooter game using an Orthographic Camera View.

All videos are 1280 x 720. I'm on the Windows platform using Camtasia Studio 6, so if these are too big byte wise or resolution wise, let me know. I'm might be asking people on the forums for best compression techniques as I am totally new to screen recording. The links below link directly to the MP4 files to download. If you need a Camtasia Codec, check the link below.

http://www.techsmith.com/codecs.asp

Right now, the files are there to use, a web site is in the works.

Proof Of Concept #1 – Space Shooter Online
    http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/ProofOfConcept_1.html

Proof Of Concept #1 – Space Shooter Project Files
    http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/Proof Of Concept 1.rar

Proof Of Concept #1 – Space Shooter

Part 1 (24 megs, 17 minutes) - http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/part1.mp4

Topics Covered
    Introduction
    Player Game Object
    Directional Light
    Orthographic Camera
    Naming Game Objects
    Player Material
    Camera Background Color
    Aspect Ratio
    Transform Discussion
    Input Discussion
    Player Movement Script
    Time.deltaTime
    Rigidbody – Is Kinematic
    Variables

Part 2 (34 megs, 22 minutes) - http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/part2.mp4

Topics Covered
    OnGUI Function
    GUI.Label
    Bullet Game Object
    Bullet Material
    Rigidbody – Is Kinematic
    Bullet Movement Script
    Transform and Position
    If Statement
    Destroy the Bullet
    Bullet Prefab
    Player Fire - GetKeyDown
    Instantiate the Bullet
    Creating Sounds
    Audio Source Component

Part 3 (39 megs, 25 minutes) - http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/part3.mp4

Topics Covered
    Enemy Game Object
    Enemy Material Color
    Enemy Movement Script
    Reset Enemy Y Position
    Random.Range
    Collider Is Trigger
    Bullet OnTriggerEnter
    Creating Tags
    Accessing Global Variables
    Destroy Bullet
    Reset Enemy
    Particle Systems
    Particle Animator
    Particle Emitter
    Explosion Prefab
    Explosion Audio Source
    Bullet Instantiate Explosion Prefab

Part 4 (44 megs, 30 minutes) - http://www.unityjumpstart.com/ProofOfConcept_1/part4.mp4

Topics Covered
    Player OnTriggerEnter With Enemy
    Reducing Player Lives
    Reset Enemy Transform and Position
    Instantiate Exlosion
    Logic to check for wining
    Logic to check for losing
    Print Statement
    Creating Start Scene
    Creating Win Scene
    Creating Lose Screen
    Build Setting
    GUI.Button
    Application.LoadLevel
    Create Logic to jump to Lose Scene
    Create Button to return to Start Scene
    Create Logic to jump to Win Scene
    Create Button to return to Start Scene
    Reset Global Variable

I'll be adding the second part soon. It will take the Space Shooter Proof Of Concept, and add 3D, 2D, Background Audio and multiple levels.

Let me know if this helps anyone, and what can be done better.

Thanks!

TheLorax

2. Wadoman

Wadoman

Wow man, well done. Thank you very much. I'm sure the community with welcome this warmly. Good quality videos here.

3. GusM

GusM

Learning resources are allways very wellcome, thank you so much.

4. gunfish

gunfish

These tutorials are awesome, they're exactly the type of tutorials I was looking for. Thanks for doing these. :) You're the man.

I'm eagerly looking forward to the second part of the series.

5. outtoplay

outtoplay

I think I love you, Man.

Errr, you know, in a guy way. Like, hey Man, let's go get beers and play pool. And `em, score some babes... Not that I'm gonna go out and score babes, I'm married, and she frowns on that. But I would if, you know. err..

Thanks, Man.

B. 8)

6. TheLorax

TheLorax

Glad these are helping out! That was the reason to put the videos out, to help people get up and running. I've started the second part - taking the Proof Of Concept 1 and fleshing it out with models and graphics. I'll post when it's up and ready, plus I hope to have the web front end up quick too.

Thanks,

TheLorax

7. rice

rice

Lorax, these are FANTASTIC! As stated above by others, the more learning materials the better. Keep up the great work, and I am looking forward to further releases.

8. Matroblend

Matroblend

To TheLorax,
    I have to say your style and methods are fantastic. I learned more than just what you were teaching.

As I watched I quickly began to think about other ways to use what you were talking about.

Thanks for taking the time, I look forward to learning even more.

I hope you enter the tutorial contest.

9. Armagon

Armagon

10. tvgrafx

tvgrafx

This is a big help to me and a great teaching tool. I'm new to javascript/code and you helped give me a better insight. I like the idea of the Proof of Concept to the Beta version. Such good material in there.

Keith

PS. I know its been asked in other threads, but do you have a recommendation for a beginner Javascript book/resource?

11. shader

shader

Thank you :D

I've just got round to watching the videos and I must say, they are excellent. I like your relaxed style. I look forward to the next one :D

12. D_e_l_t_a

D_e_l_t_a

Great stuff.
    Really enjoyed watching those. Although you've covered things that are documented in the Unity docs and PDF tuts they just make much more sense when seen running on a Unity screen. A few things that I've read and re-read in the docs just clicked into place with those movie tuts. Thank you.

One thing I'd like to see expanded on is the enemy object and relative scripts i.e multiple enemies and attack paths. One Q:
    As the tutorials example enemy has the `is Trigger` value ON for collision detection, should multiple enemies therefore all have 'isTrigger' on as well?

Look forward to the new tuts.

13. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

One thing you should add to your next part is a GUI function on the screen that says "You win or lose". Instead of changing to another level. Plus, more enemies ai such as "space invader" Where they go around crazy. And also about switching back and forth different enemies!! Hope this isn't too much to ask T_T!!

14. kvel

kvel

First of all, thanks a lot TheLorax! Resources like that are always very useful for the whole community!

Well, I've been playing with Unity for a little time, but used your proof of concept to start on C# development. I'm attaching the unityPackage for anybody else who wants a C# version of the code. Actually I made some things a bit different, like having the EnemyScript handle all the collisions and create functions to avoid retyping things like repositioning the enemy and instantiating the explosion, but all in all it's the same project.

Anyway, keep up the work man! :wink:

Attached Files:

15. raiden

raiden

TheLorax, I just wanted to thank you for what you've done.

I like the way your coding methods are used throughout your scripts, it makes it easy to remember certain techniques by sticking to simple exact instructions and not trying to over complicate things by thinking you have to code something complex.

Keep up the great work, looking forward to more.

-Raiden

16. shader

shader

@kvel

I appreciate your contribution, I use C# (but am happy to use JavaScript as it doesn't seem so different .. syntax wise)

Thanks

17. droderick

droderick

Truly great. Thanks so much. Looking forward to more.

d

18. angel38

angel38

WoW man, thank you very much.

19. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

Adding health bars over the enemy would be a great addition to your next tutorials. And also show a variety of weapons and maybe some particle effects would be nice :D

20. temo_koki

temo_koki

thank you man. keep up workin, you're doing this very well :wink:

21. messiahforhire

messiahforhire

I just wanted to say thanks for these tutorials. Our school (The Art Institute) just started using Unity as our engine for Game Design instead of Unreal, and I gave our group your tutorials as an introduction into using Unity. Can't wait for the next set!
    -Jasn Painter

22. janoonk

janoonk

That's funny... I am a teacher and in my school we also swapped Unreal for Unity :)

23. ~monk~

~monk~

This has been a great help. Great for getting to know the basics. Thanx, hope to see more:)

24. FoxDie73

FoxDie73

Great Work!!! I cannot wait for the next set of tutorials.

Keep em coming!

25. Jasumi

Jasumi

Those were very good introduction videos.

I would appreciate if you could go over some roleplaying or shooter coding techniques that you could integrate into gameplay.

26. D_e_l_t_a

D_e_l_t_a

Just a call out to TheLorax, any news for us on your newer tutorials at all? A good area I thought about would be to take your first tutorials to the next logical step of multiple enemies and perhaps show the CombineChildren method, if that's an area of familiarity for you, as well as tagging and cloning in general.

Looking forward to them either way.

27. outtoplay

outtoplay

I hear there's a dozen unity virgins still feeding the Lorax grapes on a beach in the Greek Isles in gratitude for the first set...

Hopefully he'll tire of grapes,(and the virgins), come back and set us up with the next round of kickass tutorials.

B. 8)

28. dongke

dongke

Great teaching course! Apprciate it. We really need more test more teaching video. so great!

thankyou very much man!

29. William

William

Thank you so much. These really are great! I couldn't pull myself away from the screen. Look forward to the next set.

30. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

Oh .. wow. I'm late on these but still: Cool videos, man. Aprectiate it :)

I especially liked the hint to SFXR (or CFXR for Mac). Didn't know that program but it definitely hit my nostaglic bone ;)

Looking forward to sseing more of your videos.

31. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

Is the sound fx creator royalty-free? So, maybe I can use it commercially during game development!! :wink:

32. Dan Mills

Dan Mills

Great Turorials look forward to the next steps. I too used these to follow the coding and do my own in C# and it was excellent for learning the differences. Many thanks for these keep on doing as many as you can please

33. jdvcreative

jdvcreative

Hey Lorax,

I am a Unity newbie, coming from Flash. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!!!

These tutorials are EXACTLY what I need. You really need to do more and make some money off the classes.

You and Will Goldstone are my two new heroes!

If anyone out there is new to Unity, TheLorax's tutorials should be your first stop.

By the way Lorax, where are you from. Sounds like a Texas accent to me. I am from GA but currently living in Dallas. If you're ever in Dallas, I;ll buy you a beer to thank you for the tuts.

Thanks again,
    jdvcreative

34. Rainville

Rainville

This looks really helpful!
    Thanks for posting the tutorials!

35. minevr

minevr

Oh,Good...Download... :)

36. polygrafix

polygrafix

Good stuff Lorax. Looking forward to the next version

Thanks

37. bzouchir

bzouchir

I was trying to search for "Unity jump" to make a sphere jump, and got this "Unity Jump Start"

Brilliant, it made me jump of my chair!

Keep them coming!

thanks mate

38. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Awesome stuff TheLorax, bout time someone gave me a run for my money! also about time I did some new tutes too.. just as soon as the book is done... keep up the good work man , really impressive!

39. shader

shader

Hi Will

Nice to know that you will be contributing even more tutorials. I look forward to these :)

40. Mani

Mani

Thanks a million for putting this tutorial series together. It's very clear and the fact that it focuses on the specific foundation details makes it a short and the details clear.
    Thanks again!

41. clarky

clarky

Really just have to say wow, I'm a new user with no coding experience but this was very accessible and most of all I understood what was going on. A big bonus! thanks a million please keep up the good work

42. shader

shader

TheLorax, we await your next contribution with eager anticipation (don't keep us waiting too long ... please give us a sign)

43. dongke

dongke

Nice work! We need it , looking forward for the next stage. more professional more advanced course, I agreed to give a pay for it if you provide it.^_^

44. moctezumagames

moctezumagames

really helpful.
    Thank you!

45. TheLorax

TheLorax

Sorry for taking so long to get back...The rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated! I'm doing some online degree work, accelerated, and I have been swamped!

I've got some stuff written up and ready to record, but, I'd like to know if there is anything in particular you guys might want to see. With your ideas, I can build a bit of a road map going forward. I'm really looking for ideas from people new to Unity and what they need to get up and running.

I appreciate all the responses and support!

Thanks,

The Lorax

46. shader

shader

Nice to know you are back. You've got yourself quite a fan club !

Cheers :)

47. Matroblend

Matroblend

All I can say is welcome back and we look forward to anything you might do your tutorials are great.

48. sandolkakos

sandolkakos

Thanks very very mmuch for this Excellent Video Tutorial.

49. JeffAU

JeffAU

Heya TheLorax,

It would be great to continue with the Space Shooter and write some code to get the enemy's to come into the game in unique ways like Galaga or Galaxian where they swarm in at an angle, swoop down and then fly up to the top of the screen...then move left/right space invaders style...then another swarm swoops in...twists and turns etc before joining the top enemy's moving ltft/right etc

Cheers

JeffAU

50. Paradoks

Paradoks

Hi TheLorax,

first of all, I thank you very much for the tutorial you made here, its, for me, by far the best one I have seen. thats for the feedback.

you said:
    i think that the kind of project that obviously interests people the most is the First Person Shooter. we cant even count the number of topics talking about that, plus one of the most viewed/replied is this one:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=21381&highlight=twiik

so, if you could make even a little, so its not too hard, tutorial on "how to make an FPS" the way you did the last one, it would be really great.

if you need simple graphics( I think that for a tutorial the graphics must be the simpliest, like in your last video) you can PM me, i would be pleased to help you.

PARADOKS