Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Jump Start - Video Tutorials

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by TheLorax, Jul 19, 2009.

1. DavidT

DavidT

Thank you for the time and effort you put into this. I worked through parts 1 to 3 tonight and it all makes sense.

2. mo-jord

mo-jord

This video was great~~~!

Very instructional and helped me understand quite a bit.

When are you going to get some more up?

3. AonSao

AonSao

Great tutorial. Can't wait for more ^.^

4. steffenk

steffenk

Thanks for your great Tutorials!

I have a little wish you maybe could cover in your next videos. I allways have problems using the Scripting Reference. I think i mostly found what i´m surching for, but i´m not able to transform the sample codes to my scripts. I hope you understand what i mean :oops:

Looking forward to the next Videos. Keep it up :)

5. WinningGuy

WinningGuy

If you've got anything coming up on customizing the Editor, that would be awesome.

Eventually I'd like to create controls in the Editor that would let our artists create the GUI for games without the need for additional scripting.

6. Kuanbyr

Kuanbyr

Very helpful tutorial, I can't wait to see more! I learned a great deal from this, and look very much forward to downloading more tutorials from you!

Ideas for what I would like to see, are things like, how to add scrolling backgrounds.
    How to make a scene fade in or out.
    What to do to get a character walking and moving in the scene.
    I could come up with a lot more but I had better stop there, and get back at working inside of Unity figuring out what I can and can't do. :)

Thank you very much!

7. Numonic

Numonic

Thank you so much for this awesome and informative tutorial it was just what I was looking for and I am looking forward to more of your work for this project and the next.
    Wondering if you can make a similar tutorial with a 2d side scroller game with a 3d character similar to the Unity platform this time with a life meter that dies out level changes and bosses. Also needing Ai for the bosses and a game ending with credits but this images or animated text. Thanks!!!

8. jph_wacheski

jph_wacheski

Good tutorial for helping figure out the interface and workflow of the editor. I was looking for something like this yesterday, but could not find anything that started with the absolute basics, the whole prefab creation, the "wireing up" of the various elements of the game,. nice job. I was able to figure out most stuff myself, however watching this does really help get the interface well understood. This should be linked to the main Unity Tutorials page. Thanks a bunch bro.

9. WauloK

WauloK

Brilliant! I really enjoyed watching these useful and interesting tutorials :)

10. Tastygraph

Tastygraph

Hello TheLorax,

Thank you very much for taking the time to make such a helpful video series.

Your contribution to the new Unity users is very much appreciated, keep up the good work :)

Looking forward to new additions or series from you (and anyone else that has the knowhow and cares to share ;D )

11. clockwerkz

clockwerkz

Hey The Lorax, I just wanted to thank you for putting together this video tutorial. It was extremely helpful! :D

I cant wait to see you next series of tutorials, really great stuff here. Thanks again!

12. OldRod

OldRod

I'll add my 2 cents here. This is a great tutorial for someone (like me) who is absolutely new to Unity and really helped understand how things work together.

Thank you for posting it!! :)

13. Redbeer

Redbeer

I downloaded and watched your first four videos and they are, quite frankly, extremely well done.

I hope you get some time to put together the second set of videos.
    Thank you for making them.

14. Xen

Xen

This set of tutorials/videos are just the ticket for me - I've been struggling with the example tutorials for several days and had trouble getting a handle on where to start. Often having a complete prebuilt level is more of a hindrance than a help due the amount of *stuff* in them.

A very simplistic basic *from scratch* approach is pure gold for noobs like me so thanks a ton! and I eagerly look forward to your next installment.

My only criticism is the sound volume in the videos was quite low for me but nothing that a headphone set could not overcome. Keep up the great work - love it!

15. stan3dfx

stan3dfx

Looking forward to the rest, you have explained everything very well and clear to understand.
    Keep up the great work!

16. Spatu

Spatu

Very Good tutorial. Thak's alot!

17. mrmmaclean

mrmmaclean

Thank you so much, TheLorax!

This tut series really got me on the right track with Unity. :D

18. cwflyer8

cwflyer8

Top notch tut. Thanks

I am having no success in part 3 where I'm trying to code the onTriggerEvent to detect the collision of the bullet with the incoming enemy ship. I've zeroed transform out on everything and I've triple checked everything I can think of. I just hit a wall, having no clue what I'm missing. Too bad because I can't follow along through the rest of the tutorial.

Anyone else have a problem there?

19. TheLorax

TheLorax

Alright guys...I finally get to spend some more time on this and some other videos I want to do. I'm very glad that Jason and 3DBuzz are doing the C# thing, as I know a lot of people are interested in that. Me, I've always been a JavaScript, now UnityScript, kind of guy.

I'm going to be going through and fleshing out the Proof of Concept, adding all the 3D elements, 2D GUI stuff and audio too. Looking back at my notes, I was also going to port it over the iPhone, and I see Jason is doing that as well with the C# version. Cool stuff!!!

I have another video in mind, a "pick up objects" game with robots that I may do next. If you guys have any ideas for something I need to do now, I know it's been a while, let me know. Who knew working and going to school online would take up so much time!!! ;)

I hope I haven't been away too long, and that I few folks want to see this completed. Like I said above, let me know what else the community needs.

Thanks,

The Lorax

20. Matroblend

Matroblend

Hip Hip Hooray

Welcome back to the Lorax love your tutorials and I would love to see you finish the them.

21. mindsikk

mindsikk

*EDIT*

It works again!

I cant access vid 2 to 4. Im eager to continue the tutorial since it rocks!!

22. piotrO

piotrO

Great work Lorax!
    Simply the best introductionary video tutorial around.

23. xraller

xraller

Thank you very much. I was brand new to Unity and this helped a lot. I was able to get it over to the iPhone and use tilt action to control the ship. Looking forward to the next tutorial!

24. atmadaenygma

atmadaenygma

thank you very much for your addition, all tutorials are welcome there can be something used even if digging is needed because it is not exactly what we are creating.

again warm thanks

25. bradfour

bradfour

ur awsum man! :D

26. Gazx

Gazx

Just wanted to say thanks for these tutorials. I just came across Unity today and I am really pleased to have been able to create something resembling a game in just a couple of hours, with your help.

Thanks!

27. JimmyC

JimmyC

I just got them last night, excellent work, and very generous of you.

Thank you very much.

28. dkozar

dkozar

This is what I call a good tutorial.

You succeeded in showing the basics, without loosing focus. Great stuff! :)

29. Taytus

Taytus

This videos are amazing.
    Thanks man.

30. ahaykal

ahaykal

man thanks a million this tutorial got me started. Is there anyway I can contact you via msn or email or anything because i have some questions. Thank you a lot again!

31. gametinkering

gametinkering

Just finished the first tutorial and wanted to take a minute to say thanks for rocking with the community!

32. Plsk1n

Plsk1n

Thank you for the Great Tutorial! It helped me know where my marbles are! Even though Unity seems simple to start working with, a lot of people could benefit from a tutorial like this to know where their bearing at.

Thank you Lorax

33. razakhan

razakhan

34. acmshar

acmshar

35. simpletwig

simpletwig

yet another thanks to TheLorax, I'm learning Unity with my daughter (9) and me 50, so my guess you're helping those of us that know nothing and appreciate the step by step thoroughness that you present. For beginners 'Proof of Concept' is extremely helpful.

36. thomasrh

thomasrh

This was really helpful.

Thanks!

37. SicknessX

SicknessX

I wanted to know the basics of making a ping pong game. the catch is, you don't control anything. it plays itself.

The only reason why I ask for such a thing it to learn the guts of stuff and how it works.

If anyone can help with this please let me know, Thank you.

38. SeeSawSin

SeeSawSin

39. outtoplay

outtoplay

Lorax never followed up on the first installment of these, huh? Too bad, seems like a ton of folk really dig em.

40. Fyei

Fyei

Excellent tutorials!

I'm brand new to Unity and I'm using the software for my final year project, I was looking for books or basic tutorials to get me started in Unity but these videos were absolutely fantastic and have given a lot of what I was looking to find out!

I really appreciate the time that was put into making these, thanks man!

41. j_man

j_man

Hi Casey,

This is great, thnaks a lot. Pity there isn't the promised secind tutorial!

J.

42. an3d

an3d

Its all about learning and creating :D
    very good tutorials...we would like to offer these tutorials on our website if you don't mind. www.unitymagic.com

have a look and tell us what you think

Andre

UnityMagic

43. TBoxman

TBoxman

Excellent tutorials! Thank you very much.

I went thru all 4 tutorials tonight. Learned a lot and got the Proof Of Concept built and working. However, I'm getting an error that I cannot seem to figure out.

"Component AudioSource could not be loaded when loading game object. Clean up!"

I'm using Unity 3 beta 5 and it crashed on me a couple times forcing me to rework a bit each time. (Both crashes were my fault - I forgot to turn off Play when editing the scripts).

I've looked in the Assets folders and the sounds are there. I've read and re-read my scripts and everything looks okay to me. Any help would be appreciated.

TIA,
    Terry

44. BooBoo

BooBoo

wow!
    the best tutorials ever seen!
    thank u very much :roll:

45. darkAbacus247

darkAbacus247

Omg, what is this?? A...helpful...tutorial?? MIND BLOWING!!!

Thanks a BUNCH!!!!!

46. jobromedia

jobromedia

I just heard over at 3dBuzz about your tutorials, googled 'em and downloaded them + the resources to have a peak at what you've done. Will watch these videos over the next few days and try to get going with Unity.

Thanks for a very useful tutorial btw. I just spended about 20 minutes watching the first video. Damn you're good!

47. anupam233

anupam233

thanks
    if(transform.position.x<= -13.47284){

transform.position.x = -13.47284;

}

if(transform.position.x>= 12.84567){

transform.position.x = 12.84567;

}
    for blocking the player from going out of the view
    please in your this part include to to manage more levels(5)
    please release part 2

48. Pixel_Dust

Pixel_Dust

Just finished the tutorials and I LOVED them. Need the second round ASAP!!! Can you direct us to where we can get the code ourselves for adding scrolling backgrounds and changing out the player and enemy game objects? :) Seems we might have to wait a bit for your second set of videos.

Thanks

49. Phenotype

Phenotype

Just what I needed to get started! I have made more progress as a result of your videos in one day than I did after a week of reading the documentation and looking at the tutorials. Thanks for putting that together for the community.

50. Vampyre

Vampyre

Thank you very much for you absolutely well described tutorial... I was wondering how to use effectively this 3D engine to build up some games idea I have... Seeing and doing your tutorial was very productive... I learned many more things than what you actually wanted us to learn... The logic of Unity is perfectly understandable... Now, what I miss, is how to polish this proof of concept...

Also based on your tutorial, I started to write my own proof of concept with success... Now, what I miss is the next part... How to get my proof of concepts into a real game with real graphics... I just hope you won't let us down with a project half finish... Great tutorial, and is worth a 5 star (out of 5) tutorial... It's really useful to start with Unity... Thanks for making me wanting for more :) Hope to read you soon !