Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Project Natal on PC = cheap mocap setup for motionbuilder?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by Steve Persu, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Steve Persu

Steve Persu

Makes sense to me but then again I'm not a coder. So my question to you folks is. What do you think. Can this be done.

2. kwabbott

kwabbott

My opinion is that Natal is a looong way from being a mocap solution. Recognizing a gesture or expression is one thing. Recording it as data and converting the motion into bone data ("solving" in mocap lingo) is another thing altogether. Also, with only one camera there's no way to account for motions that are blocked from view.

That said, I'm all for any technology that makes mocap cheaper and easier.

Kevin

3. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

the cheapest most awesome ghetto mocap system I have ever used is done by getting two cameras, aligning them on two sides of the "actor" and recording the footage.. the video is then assigned to texture planes inside your 3d app and hand keying the animation based on the video in the front/side views.

Ultra cheap, but it actually works!

Attached Files:

4. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

This system can work really well. A lot of mocap needs substantial cleanup, especially if you have a large number of actors in the volume. By following this principle you are guaranteeing that you'll be doing a lot of manual labor, but results for money, it's great.

You'll have to experiment with clothing, backgrounds and camera positions, especially if the motion you are trying to capture is a large one, but it's also fun to do! (ignoring all the tedious stuff...)

5. Joe-Robins

Joe-Robins

Unity Technologies

Yeah I'd advise getting a tape measure and ideally two of exactly the same cameras with the same settings etc. Also having more space and some kind of telephoto lense might help to get a more orthographic look? I'm not too sure on that mind my photography skills arn't too great.. but these things arn't entirely nessicary

6. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The longest lens possible! That is correct, and you want to have the cameras places as accurately as possible - and this include TILT! Bring a level, protractor, tape etc. The angle between the cameras is less important than the tilt of the camera (or lack thereof). You should have both cameras as level as possible, both at equal distance from the subject if possible, both on the same lens if possible...

If you *can't* have them on the exact matching setups, you should record all the camera data for each set up on each camera, so you'll have a better chance of understanding the image you have recorded. In any case you should record everything you can from your cameras - including lens (or lens setting), camera height, camera tilt (0*!), distance from subject, focus, ... everything you can get. Not only to help you interpreting your footage, but also helping you recreate your setup if you need more action from the same setup.

When you arrange your talent in relation to your camera, try so position the talent to you can see what you need to animate. If your spearman is thrusting, don't thrust straight into camera. You'll be unable to capture anything to animate to. Turn the talent at an off angle to camera where you can see the most of the motion.