Search Unity

3D Fish Tank Aquarium for iPhone

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by nikko, Jun 19, 2009.

1. nikko

nikko

NEW : video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiwWM3NhEgw

Will be released sometime in July.
    - 3 Aquariums (1 very busy for 3GS, one empty to race with the fish at maximum speed)
    - 4 selectable cameras (you can swim with any fish, see from outside, front, inside) each with its own gameplay.
    - 3 different ambiance (night, normal and bright)
    - 2 hi-quality background music (or no music)
    - 3D sounds fx that does not loops constantly
    - Rigged fish with IA (doing almost umpredictable things)
    - all objects interact with each other (fish can be stuck in the plans, push themselves, push the bubbles)
    - plants are real 3d animated at vertex level.
    - water animation from inside top, and light caustics
    - tiki bar where the fish can eat
    - one star fish, one Dog Face fish (that get upset) and a bunch of Discus, each with an attitude.

It is not a game, just a relaxing application and a technical demo.

Attached Files:

2. Tom163

Tom163

That looks and sounds very cool. Looking forward to this, what's your price point going to be?

3. nikko

nikko

That's a good question...

I think it will be $2.99 for the first month and after $3.99 or $4.99. But not 100% sure about it.

The ones who are fan of these kind of application will buy it anyway, it is more advanced than Serene, Aquatica and all the Fish Tank on PC/MAC, and it does not uses any fake 2d pictures, the fish are not scripted, there are a lot of options (3 lightning, 3 tanks)... so I think it is worth the price.
    The only thing is that it does not have plenty of fish to choose from compared with the ones on PC/MAC.
    Note : a PC and MAC version will be available this summer : screen savers of course.

4. Tom163

Tom163

To be honest, it's not going to be worth that to me. But then again, I'd have it as a gag only.

Maybe a reduced-features version for a much lower price?

Just some feedback, no idea how much market research you've done and how sure you are about your price.

5. nikko

nikko

I'm not sure... I need to finish the marketing materials, it is hard to judge on a couple of pictures.

There is a lot of crap at 0.99 so I don't think I will sell it at that price.

Also it is not a game where you kill things, or a car race, so it is not designed to target the mass market.

However there are fans of these kind of applications (see Serene, Aquatica etc...) they sold a lot on MAC PC.

I agree that the use is different (you transform your computer screen in a Fish Tank, doing the same with an iPhone is not as useful.)

But I think that the market I target will buy it if they know this exists (fans of these kind of application). The choice to decide to buy will not be based on 1.99 or 2.99

I want to have a buffer to be able to do promotions. If I start at 1.99 what kind of promo I will do?

Another thing, I want to market this product as a deluxe product. If you sell it too low, then you send the message that the product is not as good as it is supposed to be.

I agree that these are tricky decisions, and I can be wrong... anyway I'll know when I'll do it!

Attached Files:

6. Tom163

Tom163

Good points. Don't listen to me, sell at what you think is right and yes, you must have room to come down with the price.

7. mehware

mehware

I dunno its a tough call. I can see people buying for 1.99, maybe a few at 2.99. I say sell in volume. If its 0.99 it would be a sale for me. If its greater nope. Not because I am cheap but thats how much an app like this is worth to me along with most others. people do not care dropping a dollar but anything more they do a double take..

- Matt

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

Very nice work :)

As for what curve mentiones: I agree with him, at $0.99 people are much tempted to just buy something "for fun"
    Thats how stuff like Pocket God found its way onto my devices.
    At $2.99 I definitely wouldn't consider buying them.

This app naturally targets a very specific niche and not the mainstream and I guess that they are pretty much willing to pay $2.99 or even $4.99 for such an app. after all they fork out $9.99 for the desktop counterparts and alike :)

9. nikko

nikko

Thanks for all these feedbacks...
    Tought decisions...I need to think about it.

10. nikko

nikko

11. artzfx

artzfx

Very cool indeed nikko, great idea. Beautiful texturing/colours on the fish, and this is from a video capture. This must look great on the iPhone in the real.