Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.5 Release

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Aurore, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeUpchat

MikeUpchat

Arr did not get a forum email saying anyone had responded to that thread, but sorry to say it is certainly an issue, the vertex count on the meshes that Unity gave me was well under 40,000 but still it split it into two objects one with 31000 vertices on it the other with 900.

2. -chris

-chris

2D physics for my game's PolygonCollider2D objects is weird now, severed body parts rock back and forth a lot on the ground instead of coming to a stop quickly. I'll probably need to look at the new inertia values...?

Also seeing a fair bit of Editor crashing when playtesting, but am working on pin-pointing what the causes are (for the sake of submitting a debuggable and reproducable crash report).

And boo at the new GUITexture lineSpacing changes :( Texts have extra padding at the top (or not) now.

But glad to see that 64-bit Mac builds support joysticks!

#updatejoy

3. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I too have run into the Unity splitting meshes for no reason issue while providing support for one of our Assets, users sending me meshes with well under 40000 vertices (Unity figures not 3d package figures) which Unity splits. I submitted a bug report (604417) which contained an example fbx which shows the problem but so far not had any feedback at all on it. The decision to split the mesh is being based on the poly count not the vertex count. It is easy to test make a mesh that has 64000 polys in it and import it into Unity and all is fine, make that mesh have 65536 polys and Unity splits it even though the vert count is 30000 lower than the vertex limit.

Last edited: May 27, 2014
  4. zobot

zobot

My 2D project went from 100+ FPS with 4.3...now its unplayable on 4.5 (frame rates as low as 1-2 FPS at times). It seems to preform awful when instantiating prefabs.

Im considering rolling back to 4.3.

5. Ricks

Ricks

Unity 4.5 - Yeeehaaaaw!! - \o/

...oh, the new GUI is not there - /o\

6. -chris

-chris

+1 for instantiating prefabs causing performance issues.

I don't do any object pooling, but with 4.5 it feels like I need to now; instantiating multiple things at once creates a big chunk of FPS lag that was not there in 4.3, not good.

7. StarManta

StarManta

I believe I've read somewhere that the normals count on these figures? Assuming your mesh has normals, you should expect it to top out at 32k vertices in that case.

8. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

I don't think that is right :) I regularly create procedural meshes right up the vertex limit of 65535 so if what you read was true those meshes would be rejected by Unity, the normal array is a separate but equal size array the vertex list so has no effect on the actual vertex count of a mesh.

9. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We are going to start talking about this more very very soon, lets keep this about 4.5 for now.

10. Aras

Aras

Unity Technologies

Can you report a bug with a repro?

11. Carpe-Denius

Carpe-Denius

Not with your system, but with imported meshes. I had a normal problem with some meshes until I found out that max had split normales for every single triangle, so actual vertex count was tricount*3...

12. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

No its not the problem, Unity itself reports the mesh when imported to have under 40000 vertices, no extra vertices are added as there is no smoothing or uv seams. It is a simple thing to test as I said in my bug report, make a mesh in Max with under 65535 vertices but more than 65535 polys. Import that into Unity, it will tell you it has more than 65535 vertices and has to split it which it does, but if you look at each mesh is generates the combined vertex count for both of them is well below the limit. Change your mesh so it has just under 65535 polys and import into Unity and it will import as one mesh with more vertices in than the first mesh of the split mesh import. It seems pretty clear that the polycount value is being used to trigger the split and not the vertcount.

13. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

I've had problems on Android with corrupted textures when you set quality level in game. I was delighted when I saw a fix for that in the changelog. I've just tried it on device, and instead of just some corrupted texture I'm getting a black screen. The music continues to play, and I can still click on stuff, but I just can't see anything.

Also, the "applyExpensiveChanges = false" parameter of SetQualityLevel has no effect for me on Android. It still changes AA. It was so before 4.5, and it still doesn't work.

Another problem with quality changing on my older Android device is that if shadow resolution is changed, it causes a crash ONLY if AntiAliasing doesn't change in the same SetQualityLevel call.

14. mgear

mgear

On a quick test,
    OnMouseDown() with GUITexture stopped working in editor and when publishing to android.. (?)
    when opened old 4.3.x project, but works in new project..

**edit: problem is, scene has 2 cameras, disabling the 2nd camera solves the problem (maybe the OnMouseDown raycast tries to shoot from that 2nd camera)

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

WTF... no!

16. goat

goat

I'm not sure but I think the decoupling into modules has made things unusably slower...something has. Although the 'project upgrade' to new version of Unity didn't seem to take longer with this extreme slowness so I guess the new shader compilation model helped alleviate that.

On my Mac Mini Core 2 Duo / Intel GMA 945 / 4 GB RAM. the UMA project that previously could create 16 avatars while running from 50 - 55 FPS decreasing down to 24 - 27 FPS as it created the 16th avatar is running at about 5 FPS on creation of the very first avatar!

I'm downloading for PC now to see how it runs there but the HW is a about 3 - 4 years more modern, Intel i5 / Intel HD Graphics / 4 GB RAM.

The editor is noticeably slower starting on os X.

The 64 bit editor should help but that is a ways off from now. I may downgrade back down to Unity 4.3.7p1.

So if usability testing only done on 16 core 64 mb dual NVidia video card SSD HD rigs? Seems even an new $1000 i7 Intel 5000 HD Graphics 8 GB laptop would struggle with Unity 4.5.

17. goat

goat

That's not what his web site claimed. He said you can use one, the other, or both and that parts of 2D Toolkit is extensions to Unity, how much of those extensions are to Unity 2D will grow with time.

18. StarManta

StarManta

Are you under the impression that Unity is in some way required to release every "point" version, or even any point versions at all, between major releases?

Look at the version history on the release of Unity. Or any software, ever. When they add big features, they go up to the next whole number. When they add little features, they go to the next 1.x number. When they release even smaller ones (usually bugfixes), they go up to the next 1.x.x number.

The only time a company ever has any expectation or requirement to release 1.x versions is if they have advertised that a particular feature is going to be in a particular release cycle (thus influencing people to invest in / buy their product). This is the case with the new GUI, which has been long promised in the 4.X release cycle, and is indeed going to be released as part of 4.6 (expected in the summer). Any additional 1.x releases are basically a kindness to us users, to keep Unity competitive and modern and compatible with current API's in between the time it takes to develop the big features.

19. StarManta

StarManta

From tk2d's website, I don't see how it's anything other than simply a replacement for the Unity's internal sprite system. It may well be a superior replacement, I can't speak to that, it's been a while since I've used it. But I don't see how any of the advertised features could integrate with the sprite system.

20. goat

goat

No they didn't.

They didn't release 4.4 to non-license console holders because it dealt only with consoles and they did that to save you money. You don't need to spend time downloading, installing, and upgrading software that has no features available to you and in that way those extra hours of programming and/or modeling productivity from you saved money.

I've worked for places that maintained dozens of versions of software for various customers. The customers neither wanted or could use anything but their version.

21. Saxi

Saxi

Does anyone know if 4.5 is suppose to allow two kinematic rigidbody2d to collide? I read it as this was now possible, but it does not seem like it.

• Allow static/kinematic collisions and triggers to occur.

22. goat

goat

His came before Unity's system but you can mix match according to the workflow like. At any rate, he'll extend Unity 2D system if he wants to maintain sales you would think.

But for now, I need to test UMA on my PC in Unity 4.5. Something seems wrong.

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

The OTEE that skipped from Unity 2.1 to 2.5? Also, OTEE changed their name to Unity Technologies. Same people, same company. Anyway, the objection is utterly senseless since there's no cap on version numbers. Skipping 4.4 for most customers doesn't make 5.0 come any faster, and not skipping 4.4 wouldn't make it come any slower. It's completely arbitrary and you're upsetting yourself for no reason whatsoever.

--Eric

24. -chris

-chris

I will submit my project with a report, sure thing.

Upon further testing, it seems that objects with PolygonCollider2D have taken a massive performance drop whenever they collide with another PolygonCollider2D. (thought it was against BoxCollider2D as well but no, just PolygonCollider2D)

My issue seems to be, when killing a monster, I instantiate an object containing three or four objects with PolygonCollider2D components. Group several monsters together and kill them with an explosion and the game's framerate comes to a stop... It's just a slight performance clunk when killing one monster, but multiple monsters = really bad framerate.

I have also tested this with my grenade weapon which has PolygonCollider2D; throw a bunch of grenades at a wall and the game just starts to stutter because of the collision.

------------------------

I'm also having issues with rigidbodies rolling around. Tried for an hour of editing center of mass point, inertias, mass, angular drag. Really unhappy with how things rock back and forth instead of coming to a stop. Increasing the mass just makes it rock faster.

Rigidbodies in 4.3 hit the ground and stop pretty quickly:

Rigidbodies in 4.5 hit the ground and then roll back and forth:

I've set the center of mass to the bridge of the nose, just keeps on rocking:

Is this behaviour the way it's supposed to work now? :(

Rather than just having gravity make the thing fall down and come to a stop, it has to be all relative to the particular center of mass point on the rigidbody? :(

$head corner.gif

I have to go now for the day, but I am keen to experiment with replacing PolygonCollider2D components with several BoxCollider2D components to recreate the desired collision boundaries...

I really hope this is a bug and not a feature.

25. StarManta

StarManta

-chris, can you post the rigidbody and physic material properties relevant to those screenshots? I feel like, if the drag on either is >0, then what you're seeing is clearly a bug rather than an intended behavior change (no matter what has happened to the center of mass).

26. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Removed pointless trolling, drama and response to such (no offence to those who replied). Keep this discussion about 4.5 Release thanks!

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

From release notes:

• Physics: Rigidbody2D center-of-mass no longer starts at zero. The center-of-mass isn't always the sprite pivot

• Physics: Added "centerOfMass" and "worldCenterOfMass" properties (read-only) to Rigidbody2D.

Are any of these points helpful in tracking down your issue?

28. Breyer

Breyer

wow! how monstrous update! with a lot new API (particulary Editor - preview attribute is very interesting) however - there is any chance in next updates to expose ReorderableList ? (as attribute or new EditorGUI method - i have mean list which we can see in reorderable layers) i think its possible as expose OnHeaderGUI event and demand OnGUI method in class/struct array in each element of list for body. . In the meantime - its possible to reflect these functionality? sorry for bit messing topic with small offtopic

29. Saxi

Saxi

From the sounds of it, he played with the center of mass. But the performance issues also concern me greatly and not likely intended.

30. Ippokratis

Ippokratis

I have found that editor loads faster, especially in scenes with many shaders.
    Nice work :)

31. F.Salka

F.Salka

Hi,

Please explain why you are not adding support for macbook pro with retina display, it's been more than two years since macbook with retina display interduced and unity still does not support retina resolution, if is the problem with the fact that unity editor does not use cocoa API, at least add retina support for game/scene window (pixel to pixel accurecy), and if that is still not possible, atleast let us build mac apps that can run in native retina resolution, in the end its just an OpenGL window....how hard could it be??

32. zugsoft

zugsoft

Very fast to launch on iOS device from Xcode.

33. goat

goat

That has more to do with your iOS and Mac devices than Unity.

34. g0tNoodles

g0tNoodles

Clearly not an issue with 4.5 but I cannot download it using any of the download links...

35. zugsoft

zugsoft

This morning with 4.3.4 : 1 minute between the moment I click on "Build and Run" before to see my game on my iPad Air.
    Now with 4.5 : 22seconds.

I use the same Macbook and the same Ipad.

36. goat

goat

There is something definitely wrong with Unity 4.5 on os X versus Windows 8.1.

I tested with 'vanilla' UMA project:

Windows 8.1 ~30 FPS

os X Lion 10.7.5: ~5 FPS

I am submitting a bug report.

37. RC-1290

RC-1290

The new Documentation looks snazzy, but it takes up a lot more space than the previous versions. So I created a css skin (for the Stylish browser plugin) that removes some of the unused space.

$Condensed and Darkened 680w.jpg

Unfortunately, the sidebar uses minified javascript to determine its size in stead of css, making it very tricky to remove the massive amount of padding underneath it. If you try to override its inline height property, to be relative to the screen size (to use all available space), it breaks (the scroll bar disappears).

It also doesn't work well with the browser's find / search functionality. I've reported this as a bug.

Again, it's a pretty sidebar, but even an iframe would work better.

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  38. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

I also have this issue, are they going to release 4.5.1?

39. Saxi

Saxi

I already downloaded, but I just tested it and it started the download fine.

40. orb

orb

I got a blank page on going to the download link. Tried a bit later, and the page with the "Download Unity 4.5" button loaded, but the next one is blank. Definitely something up right now, but it'll probably clear up after the storm of downloads :)

41. LaneFox

LaneFox

My build time seems to have gone from about 2 minutes to 2000 minutes.

Any thoughts on why that might be happening?

42. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Pitty the Macs have issues with framerate... could it be an OpenGL problem?

43. thempus

thempus

Any chance to include features like you find in github where you would be able to report issues on specific documentation pages, and then contribute with pull requests. You can also tag different versions to keep history.

44. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I have yet to read all the new stuff, and I haven't had time to have my fun with Unity development lately, but...this looks fantastical.

Thank you Unity team :D Keep up the good work.

45. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm not understanding the Hierarchy Sort thing. Why was that changed? Surely alphabetical is the logical default? And if not, why isn't there just a simple sort order option within the Editor?

46. niosop2

niosop2

At first I was slightly annoyed, but after just a minute or so I was really enjoying it. You can drag them to wherever you want and they stay there, so it's nice to be able to organize stuff. If you want alphabetical back, just drop the example script at http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/BaseHierarchySort.html into your project somewhere and you'll have that option. And it's trivial to create other sorting algorithms to make it work for you. I have a couple of top level empties used for grouping that I access all the time, and it's really nice to be able to drag them all to the top and have them all together.

47. RC-1290

RC-1290

I don't know the official answer, but I would say that allowing the user to re-order objects in the hierarchy is glorious.

To add that back in, take a look at the class BaseHierarchySort and the method EditorUtility.NaturalCompare

Adding the class defined there to your project will add a fancy new button that allows you to choose between TransformSort and AlphaNumeric sort, or any other kind of sort that you might want to create. (This is also mentioned in the release notes, but those appear to be offline for the moment)

Last edited: May 28, 2014
  48. SteveJ

SteveJ

It seems insane to me though that in order to sort a fundamental part of the editor alphabetically I have to add code to my project. I know it's quite different, but imagine if Microsoft brought out a new version of Excel and one of the changes was that you need to write VBA code if you want to sort columns, and you have to add it manually to every spreadsheet you create.

Anyway - I really appreciate all the bug fixes - that's MASSIVE, so I'll live with this weird sorting thing.

49. goat

goat

The framerate has slowed on PCs too though not near as much, about 5 - 10 FPS. I am still testing on my Max to make sure it's not something weird.

50. -chris

-chris

The head and ground in my previous gifs just used the default of none / no Physics2D material.
    Tried adding friction of .6 and bounciness of .2 to the head but still rolls around.

Tried moving this. Was very noticeably wrong on most of my humanoid gibs where the gameobject/sprite container hardly matched the PollygonCollider2D; things were wobbling all over the place. Moved the center of mass point to the middle of the collider, and it's not as bad, but things still roll around like they're a lightweight balloon.

I've tried setting the inertia like, 0.1, 1, 10, and 20... Too low and things are all jittery; too high and things just roll more slowly, still just as dumb.

Been away all day but back at computer now, gonna try a blank scene with some colliders and see what I can conclude.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.