Search Unity

2014 Windows and Windows Phone Games Competition - Congratulations winners!

Discussion in 'Windows' started by Graham-Dunnett, May 21, 2014.

1. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

CONGRATS TO OUR WINNERS!
    The competition is now closed. Unity would like to thank all of the participants of this year’s Unity Game developer contest, sponsored by Microsoft.

This year we saw over 600 entries. The quality of games submitted was incredible and it certainly kept our judges not only busy but highly entertained. It was a tough call but we are thrilled to be able to announce the winners.

Unity - Windows and Windows Phone Games Competition Results.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Show us your awesome games for a chance to win up to $50k!

It’s competition time again. Following the huge success of the competition we ran with Microsoft in 2013, we’re inviting you to participate in a new competition. Any game you make with Unity, and publish to the Windows or Windows Phone Store prior to July 20th are eligible. To see the full terms, please visit the Windows Competition section of the Unity website.

There are three steps to follow:

• Step One: Sign Up!
    • Step Two: Develop your game using Unity 4.3.4 (or later), Visual Studio Express (or any other SKU) 2013 and publish to the Windows Store and/or Windows Phone Store.
    • Step Three: Submit the game to the competition.

Judging of submitted games will start on July 20th. Only games submitted to the competition on or before July 20th will be eligible. Judging will be made based on Quality (50%), Creativity and Originality (30%) and Technical Excellence (20%). Winners will be notified on August 13th how to collect their prize.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2014
  2. randomperson42

randomperson42

Awesome. It would be great to see more of these competitions.

3. dudedude123

dudedude123

My game is not published because I do not have a credit card and I am required to have one for it to be published. I only have a debit card but They said it wont work on the registration. Does that disqualify my games?

4. mikhail111777

mikhail111777

Good day.

The FAQ states that we can't add ADs to the games for contest. Can we add ADs later, when the contest ends?

5. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes. You need to be registered with Microsoft in order to publish to the store. If that process requires a credit card, then yes, you need a credit card. (And that js probably a requirement to prove that you are 18 or older.)

6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I don't have an official answer, but I can't see why you could not publish an updated version after the end of the competition. (Well, after the winners have been announced. Maybe if you win, you won't want to add ads?)

7. devbr

devbr

Please, say it will be Unity 5 license, or cover Unity 5 when it will be released...

Thanks!

Last edited: May 22, 2014
  8. schmosef

schmosef

Sorry for the cross post. I posted a question in the other thread and just realised that it would have been better to post it here:

Also, someone else posted an important question:

Thanks for your time clarifying things, Graham. This is an exciting contest, indeed!

9. nizbel

nizbel

I guess this is a pretty dumb question but, is the contest open to games made by just one individual? No teams allowed?

10. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, The contest is open to all Unity game developers - so indies and small or large studios etc.

11. goat

goat

I've used a VISA debit card to register at the MS Windows Store / Phone Developer site. As it's linked to your bank account what is the problem? The credit card company is where you'd deposit income you earn from the Microsoft Windows Store, it'd be deposited into your bank account.

12. goat

goat

That has to do which the law: it is illegal to run a contest to entice people to buy your product. They used to just to say 'No Purchase Necessary.' 'Void where Prohibited.'

13. frogsbo

frogsbo

Can we use unity free?
    What are the steps to get a game from unity free onto the windows apps store? (maybe link please)

The instructions say that we have to submit several weeks prior to final date if we havent built a game for windows mobile, please explain? is this for unity free users?

is it possible to test games for windows 8 phones using emulator on pc?

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  14. SolitudeSA

SolitudeSA

I wonder why they made the deadline so early. It's a great competition but it basically restricts entries to games that have been released on other platforms or games that are close to completion.

Especially if you have never released to the Windows Store which basically gives you a month to finish the game plus a week of polishing and then hoping you are on time.

If this competition is a drive for more quality content on the Windows Store then they will have had more success by pushing the deadline to September. In my opinion anyway.

Good luck to all those who are entering!

15. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Microsoft have adjusted the terms. Your games can use ads.

16. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Yes

You mean, like some kind of documentation?

Well, the instructions say that your game needs to be submitted, and approved, before you can be eligible. Since this process can take some time, the advise is really to not leave it too late.

Maybe. You'll need a real device to test on though.

17. devbr

devbr

Hello Graham,

Will those award licenses cover Unity 5 when released?

Thanks!

18. elmar1028

elmar1028

Do we get a free license for Microsoft Developer to publish apps for this contest?

19. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi, once you complete step 1 and sign up via the first submission form here: http://unity3d.com/contest/windows Microsoft will email you a unique token for a free Windows developer account. The email will come from Unity3d@microsoft.com
    Thanks!

20. alan-999

alan-999

Is the free token valid only one year?

21. schmosef

schmosef

Probably.

22. elmar1028

elmar1028

I received my token, but it says that it's not valid! What should I do?

23. elmar1028

elmar1028

Token you sent me doesn't work! Please help!

24. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

@elmar1028 Please email unitywin@microsoft.com and they will be able to assist you with the token. Thanks!

25. elmar1028

elmar1028

I did two days ago, but they didn't reply me since.

26. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

OK, let me follow up with them for you.

27. SonalP

SonalP

There seems to be an issue with the dev center and sometimes the tokens are not getting through. We are investigating and will get back to you when we have an update. The issue is intermittent and you can try again after a few days, But in the mean time please continue to develop or porting your games. We will get back to you as soon as we confirm it is all working.

28. Kea

Kea

How many days spent on review applications ( http://unity3d.com/ru/pages/windows/offer ) ? We have a game on iOS and Android (4,5 stars rating) - we filled application form with the link to it, but the answer did not come.

Do I need to make some steps in addition to filling out the application?

29. SonalP

SonalP

Thank you

Thank you for your patience and your submission. If you have submitted please normally allow 3 business days for processing, especially in cases where a submission happens over the weekend.

30. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

I am 16 and want to participate
    can i ?

31. LaurensiusTony

LaurensiusTony

32. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

Is it possible to use altered versions of assets bought from the Unity Asset Store (or those assets in general)?

33. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

Hi JeevanjotSingh, you need to be 18 years old or older to apply to this contest. See the T&Cs here: http://unity3d.com/contest/windows/terms

34. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies

If you submitted your game to the Windows store after 1 May 2014, we will accept your entry. However, you must complete the submission form to enter the contest.
    If you submitted to the store prior to this date, you may qualify for this contest if you submit an updated version of the game. However, it will be at Unity and Microsoft’s sole discretion as to whether we will accept the entry. To improve your chances of the updated version being accepted, it must include significant improvements and changes.

35. ZoomieRoomie

ZoomieRoomie

If a team consistent of two people would get an honorable mention and therefore win a Unity Pro license would both team members get one or is it just one per team?

36. JeevanjotSingh

JeevanjotSingh

oh ho i was very exited for this .

37. SonalP

SonalP

The prize is for the winning app, so whether a single individual or team developed it that winning app developer/team would get the one license.

38. Kaemalux

Kaemalux

Hello! :)
    I got a token by mail, but after following steps to register as a developer i got an error message saying it is not valid... I sent a mail to unity3d@microsoft.com, how many days do you think it will take to have the process sorted?
    I'd like to ask another question: the token is valid for individual developer, isn't it? You must not follow company developer registration, right?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kae

39. NeiratAhmad

NeiratAhmad

Hi,

Unfortunately I just heard of this competition which might be a bit late, I'm already working on a game for windows phone 8 but I'm using Visual Studio with XNA Framework ,, are games created with XNA Game Studio able to enter the contest?

Thank You,

40. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

I am student developer (below 18) is it possible for me to somehow participate in it. You can check my works in my website (http://www.apgames.in).

41. NeiratAhmad

NeiratAhmad

Hello? .. could you please reply because time is running out :|
    is XNA considered as part of visual studio or not?

also, same as too other many questions above, I got the token but it didn't work ,, is there any region-restrictions or something?

thanks.

42. schmosef

schmosef

The contest rules are here.

It says you have to be a registered Unity developer. But it does not specifically state that your game has to be made with Unity.

I think you can probably submit your game, but, since the judging is subjective and the spirit of the contest is to promote the use of Unity, it's not likely that you could win with a non-Unity game.

I love XNA. I wish Microsoft had supported that platform better. Good luck.

43. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

I'e been following this thread and the other WIndows Phone Incentive contest to gain a Windows Phone device and, having jumped into this from a Mac background I'd just like to clarify the Windows 8 requirements. My app has cleared stage one of the Incentive and I'm being sent a Windows 8 PRO license, in the meantime I'm advised to download the Windows 8 Enterprise trial to continue development.
    I have a laptop running Windows 8 *Standard* (doesn't seem to have any defining label)... not Pro or Enterprise. I understand I need Pro eventually so that I can run the Windows Phone emulator. So am I right in this; My current Windows 8 is no use and won't run the emulator, but Enterprise WILL run it and that will tide me over until Pro arrives?
    I've just taken on this laptop and took an age getting it all smoothly running with Unity etc ready to build to Windows Phone, but now look like I'll be re-installing twice in the next couple of weeks. I'm ok with that but don't want to miss something stupid and end up realising I could have stuck with Win 8 Standard until Pro arrives.

44. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The rules look pretty clear to me.

@SpacePixel: Windows 8 Pro/Enterprise is only needed if you want to run Windows Phone emulator. If you have a physical device, it's not needed. Beware though, you need 64-bit edition of either Pro or Enterprise. 32-bit will not work.

45. SpacePixel

SpacePixel

Thanks Tautvydas, that's what I assumed. As I need the Emulator in the absence of a physical device I'll go through the Enterprise trial-then-Windows 8 Pro route. I'd just hoped Windows 8 Standard could have been of some use. I'm currently running the 64 bit Win 8 edition too, so it's ready for Enterprise/Pro 64 bit.

46. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Hi, I submitted Lost Echo ( http://windowsphone.com/s?appId=9617e5bf-f024-47de-84ad-2049e54cf48a ) to the Windows Phone contest, but I haven't received a confirmation e-mail or anything like that. I'm tempted to submit again, since I feel that something went wrong, but I wouldn't want to flood the contest with Lost Echo entries.

Is there a way to confirm if the entry was received successfully?

47. Meceka

Meceka

Well, i have applied to windows offer where they give a mobile phone or tablet to test your game.

I have applied with a game in progress. (Not in market but in development, though it's 75% complete)

I have uploaded two videos just for contest, a screenshot gallery, and an apk file. And after 9 days, my entry was rejected. Then I've viewed youtube analytics, they didn't even watch the videos before rejecting.. (They are 1 minute each, they didn't even click the link) I am really disappointed.

48. Ankit-Priyarup

Ankit-Priyarup

i have also applied to windows offer where they give a mobile phone or tablet to test your game and luckily I won first level so I want to known is there any possibility of getting a developer device (asking this because it's clear on their website that it's a first come first issue and the competition is about to end).

49. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

(Just to clarify, you guys are talking about the "offer" while my previous post was about the "contest")

(Although I also had trouble with getting replies from MS for the "offer" as well. We submitted the final store link to them, but we keep getting reminders that we should submit the store link soon, because the deadline is approaching!)

50. Jo-Ryall

Jo-Ryall

Unity Technologies