Search Unity

[PRE-RELEASE] Haste — Quick Launcher for Unity (Productivity Tool)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by jimfleming, May 5, 2014.

1. jimfleming

jimfleming

Haste is now officially on the Asset Store. Check out the release thread here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-haste-search-engine-for-unity.252549/

BETA

Free version: http://u3d.as/content/barking-mouse-studio/haste-free/bc5
    Pro version: http://u3d.as/content/barking-mouse-studio/haste-pro/81k

Haste is a quick launcher for Unity. Navigate your project with speed:

- Search game objects in your scene
    - Search files and folders in your project
    - PRO Execute native Unity actions or custom MenuItems

"Its like Spotlight or Alfred for Unity", said by a friend of ours.

Features

- "Fuzzy" searching allows you to find what you're looking for in just a few key strokes.
    - For example, need to find "Main Camera" in your scene? Just type "mc" and press enter.
    - Haste's custom indexing allows searching across your entire project or scene quickly.
    - PRO Since Haste is aware of custom MenuItems its easy to your own commands.
    - Works with Unity Pro and Free.

Usage: open Haste at any time just press Command/Control+K and begin typing.

I've been working on Haste for about a year now and I'm super excited about the dozens of new features we have planned over the next few months.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015
  2. jimfleming

jimfleming

3. Huacanacha

Huacanacha

Looks like a great productivity tool in the making... I definitely recommend checking it out!

I'm sure this is in the works, but the the Quick navigation search results need to be made more relevant for larger projects. I would suggest prioritising at least by exact match, first word match etc. I have "player" in tons of my game object names but the actual "Player" is not listed, and all three displayed results don't start with "player". Also consider nuking the fuzzy matching for 3-4+ character searches to keep the results list clean... it's likely that a longer search term is intended to be a specific substring match.

Really excited to see how this tool progresses.

4. jimfleming

jimfleming

Thanks for the feedback! I honestly wasn't sure anyone saw the post.

Yah, I'm definitely still tweaking the fuzzy matching but you're right there's some room to improve. I've got another version to post in a few days which will include access to menu items (File/Save, etc.) and I'll include some tweaks to the search algorithm with it.

Out of curiosity for the objects named "player", were they nested in other objects or all top-level? You can fuzzy match on the entire hierarchy path but I guess that depends on how the scene is organized.

Also, in the large project did it feel pretty fast? I haven't really benchmarked anything yet so I'm curious how it performs.

Mostly I've focused on architecture of the overall plugin to support extensions which is nearly in a good place.

5. jimfleming

jimfleming