Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Support?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by ev3d, Apr 25, 2014.

1. ev3d

ev3d

Guys, am i the only PAYING customer of unity that thinks that support is HORRIFIC? I have bugs/tickets open from over a year ago.. seriously? i have like 8 tickets open. and when i do opn a new one, i get NO response that is worth it. From a support/stability/ quality perspective i hate unity..

2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Care to list the tickets so we can see them help? just link them here.

3. ev3d

ev3d

most of these have my games source attached to them. I really don't want to post it in a public forum.. But i just counted, i have 20 open tickets and many are VERY VERY old.. I NEVER get an email from unity even attempting to help solve the issues.. of all the companies i deal with, unity support is by far the worst.. (apple being the very best).. interesting, APPLE=More money than god... unity could make a lot more if they tried to support things..

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

No, just the fogbugz reports so we can see if these issues are a problem. Maybe you can list some of the issues you were getting and we can try and help out like "glitchy model" or something - no idea what problems you had.

5. ev3d

ev3d

6. ev3d

ev3d

7. ev3d

ev3d

my point is.. in most support systems, these old tickets would be blinking red all over tech supports screens saying "this is terribly old, please address it"... But unity just ignores these issues.. which to me is saying they are a) understaffed to address all the issues or b) simply don't care... from my experience, it is b...

And i apologize for being angry but i am begging for unity to take support seriously...

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Honestly those bug reports are not very good. A link to a forum post about "poor performance" with no repro steps? "Copied files into the project folder" (the complete bug report) also with no repro steps? It's pretty much impossible to do anything with those. My suggestion is that they should be closed, but other than that, I can't quite figure out what you expect. I understand the frustration, but bug reports need to be clear and reasonably detailed to have any real chance of being addressed. It's not that they don't care—it's that they get lots of reports, and the vast majority (>90%) are not useful, so they have to concentrate on the ones that are.

--Eric

9. ev3d

ev3d

that's kinda my point... i was never contacted about them (even to ask for more information, or to ask if they could close it).. Isn't that what makes support good (them putting due diligence to get customer issues resolved)? I mean, how many of these are clogging up the system due to the way the system (or staff) operates?

I also submitted several bugs like this one:

http://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?549406_5fn31htquie5j42h

that is easy to reproduce.. it was caused by the mac .ds_store files that are created by finder when you browse a folder.. it is probably fixed now, but yet it's still open.. ??

Am i just spoiled my apple tech support (they stay on it till you say it's resolved).?? Apple will even CALL YOU if they need to. So why are these old bugs still open? If this is normal, how do they see through the fog of thousands of open bug reports?

or am i misunderstanding how this works? Are bug reports just supposed to be a one way thing (report only)? Am i supposed to contact support about issues i need fixed (instead of expecting them to treat bug reports as a support incident)?

Am i making sense here? lol

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(Just FYI, this is a thread talking about bug reports, it's not about support. There is no service level agreement for bug reports.)

11. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Kind of. Bugs get scored according to how much data is included in the report. Bugs that score highly get more attention.

If you have a support contract, then yes, log onto the premium support site and post a ticket that includes the bug number. The support team will then try and help with a workaround. (So, for example, for 549406 they'd tell you to have a script that finds these Finder created useless files and delete them, and they might advise you to not go poking around the cache server file system, ;-))

If you do not have a support contract, then post on the forum and the community and some of my team will try and help.

Anyway, I've alerted the QA team to your forum post, and maybe some of the bugs will get some attention, or get closed if they are resolved. If you want to help out, maybe reply to some of the emails you got back from the bug system, and let the QA team know if you still have problems with these bugs in the 4.3.4 version of Unity.

Just an FYI - 604282 - this appears to be a 4.6.0b8 case. Bugs for beta versions are handled differently. Since you don't say if this is a regression (meaning, your project builds with 4.3.x) it's unlikely that this bug will even be looked at. Bug reports in beta versions are always escalated, but the bug report you have sent just looks like a generic "I'm having a problem with a build". I've already told you how you can go about fixing this issue for yourself, so submitting a bug report, and then complaining you are not getting supported seems, um, odd to me.

12. ev3d

ev3d

I was not aware that bugs were not considered "support".. If it says this somewhere i must have missed it. If it doesn't say this anywhere then it might help keep some people from misunderstanding (like i think i did), if you let people know this when submitting a bug.

You said that the bug is not a regression bug so the bug report will be ignored since it was submitted from a beta version?

so i should uninstall the beta and install the production version and resubmit the bug?

also, if you don't have a paid support plan, forum support is the only support? Is that correct?

13. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

No quite. What I was saying is that bugs that are submitted against a beta, which the user confirms was not a bug in the previous version (meaning the bug is a regression) is going to get massively prioritised by the QA team.

Kinda. You can email support@ aka free support, but with the volumes of cases that come in, it can take up to 5 days to get a response. Most customers see a faster response if they post here instead, so we are encouraging people do that. Just so they don't wait. Plus, issues that get discussed on the forum and answers sites are indexed by google, so the answers users get are more easily found by others.

14. ev3d

ev3d

sounds like you guys need more support people :)

15. ev3d

ev3d