Search Unity

Gyroscope Physics Simulation - Good for unity?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by charmandermon, Apr 25, 2014.

1. charmandermon

charmandermon

Hey guys I feel pretty comfortable in Unity and I have a question for the super nerds.

Im playing around with some really cool physics equipment (IRL) and I want to know if you guys think unity would be good to use a prototype system to test out some close to real world physics.

Here is an example video of gyroscope physics in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H98BgRzpOM

Can physx do this or should I look into building custom math physics inside of unity?

Any discussion on using unity as a physics simulator would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Dabeh

Dabeh

Test it and find out, although I doubt they're physically accurate enough that you can pull off that.

3. charmandermon

charmandermon

Thanks for the info.

#ntsf300 (deploying bat call) what say you good sir?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  4. npsf3000

npsf3000

Unity is pretty awesome (C#, Rendering, Sound, Multiplatform etc) and is a great base for a simulator. The actual physics engine in it is limited - particularly in detailed control and modification - and as such may need to be replaced. However this can be done fairly straightforwardly - at least compared to the work already required customising your own physics system - maintaining all the other goodness.

Your given example is very cool, but with my passing knowledge of current systems I'd be pleasantly surprised if any game physics engine can solve it (rotating momentum and string?!)

So in short - Unity is great, see what it can do. You might need a physics guy to do some stuff, but this'll be the case anywhere AFAIK.

Source: Been there, done that.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014