Search Unity

How to get feedback?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by LMan, Apr 24, 2014.

1. LMan

LMan

Maybe I'm just impatient, but it seems like I'm having a really hard time getting feedback out of the forums any time I ask for it!- Any tips or nuggets of wisdom on getting people to tell me what they really think? I'd appreciate anything!

2. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

Screenshots help.

3. LMan

LMan

Definitely- I get more views with pics for sure. How about videos? Are they always better?

4. Acumen

Acumen

Well just show that it's a bit more than only the standard unity assets.
    Even the ones you use can be made a bit nicer by changed colors and lighting.
    YES its about gameplay and AI but looks matter too and gains interest. Study some thomas was alone :)

5. goat

goat

If I'm hungry I will go to a tree full of oranges rather than a tree full of crab apples or just a plain tree.

6. LMan

LMan

Thanks for the advice! I've lurked and studied different people and their products for a long time now, but seeing as how I still struggle to get even negative feedback, I figured I haven't tried just plain old asking out loud lol.

7. MaxieQ

MaxieQ

I think you need to be already amazing to get attention. :D

I know my feedback threads are deserts of inattention. That might just be because I suck, or do this wrong. My ego tells me, though, that it's everybody elses problem. xD

8. LMan

LMan

LOL so much truth! There are some people/products that have a reputation that they can leverage to get attention pretty much right off the bat. barring them, I do notice that even threads with interesting content can take a bump or two and multiple days to garner their first replies. But what is it that makes people decide something deserves their opinion? screenshots? a video? a demo? Regular updates?

9. 0tacun

0tacun

I have the feeling that people like to spend more time on making fun of bad projects than to write a serious feedback for promising and more solid looking projects.

What I suggest you is to use additionally alternatives sources for feedback, for example IndieDB or other forums.

10. LMan

LMan

That is really good advice, I appreciate it! Any other places you have had good experiences with?

11. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Usually this means your art is mediocre. Amateurs react strongly to art that is really terrible or really amazing and will be motivated to give you feedback. Anything in the middle is "meh" and they ignore.

To get constructive criticism, you need to build a network of talented people who are also effective communicators. These people are mostly working in the industry and don't participate in forums.

12. LMan

LMan

Okay, how about if I'm showing off a tool or piece of programming, or a work in progress? Am I doomed to mediocrity if I don't have knock-your-socks off artwork?