Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Lil Smasher Released Today [iOS]

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by Deleted User, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Very happy to announce that my game, Lil Smasher, is now available on the iOS App Store. It has been a year long odyssey with countless ups and downs. It is free so please download it, rate it, and tell your friends!

Thanks a ton!
    Shawn

[video=youtube_share;F1vbTjOkGcI]http://youtu.be/F1vbTjOkGcI

App Store Link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id801976179

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Lil Smasher is the 62-th most popular arcade game in China! Probably won't be shopping for Ferraris anytime soon, but that is nice to see :)

$62InChina.jpg

3. johnnydj

johnnydj

nice original idea and funny graphics :)

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Looks awesome! Great job!

5. pokobros

pokobros

Nice job! Just downloaded!

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  6. t3d-planet

t3d-planet

Great and clever game : i loved the graphics and art style very much, keep up the good work.

7. TTF

TTF

Very cool game. When I watched the trailer I was loughing out about this little cute monster. Really nice!

8. shadowpeak

shadowpeak

I was following your progress and am really excited you were able to release it. It is a really great game.

Not sure if you meant for this to happen or not, but on Exhibit 11 the stones were disappearing while rolling through the wood box. Not sure if it was a game mechanic or a bug, but it was unclear why this was happening.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Thanks for the kind words, everyone! It is great to have my first mobile game out.. finally!

Hmmm.. it is not supposed to do that, but I can't reproduce it on iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 4, or iPad Air. I know there have been some crashing problems on 1st generation iPad Minis, but have not heard about this issue before. Thanks for the heads up. I will see what I can find.

10. shadowpeak

shadowpeak

It was running on an iPhone 5 with iOS 7.1.1. Seemed to happen with Exhibit 14 with the spinning wheel maze as well.

I'll see if I can capture it on video with one of the other devices I have laying around.

11. procrastin8e

procrastin8e

Looks like you put some work into this, downloading now!

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I think I know what is going on, and it is intentional not a bug. The game is designed so that only one rock is on screen at a time. So if you aim a new rock, the current rock will disappear. Unfortunately this was necessary because the physics simulation with multiple rocks was really slowing down the FPS on older devices.

Does this sound like what you are experiencing?

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Lil Smasher is a "Best New Game" in the iOS App Store this week! I'm soooo stoked!

14. jjmontes

jjmontes

Fantastic concept and puzzles, and really nice art.

15. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Have you seen a spike in downloads because of this?

Did you do anything special to get attention, or just released and posted about it on a few websites.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

There has been a definite spike. Lil Smasher is now the #70 most downloaded game (in US). There are 2 things that I think most contributed to the feature:

1. My publisher, BulkyPix, was able to show the game to Apple.
    2. There is a nice thread on the TouchArcade Forums, which Apple may peruse: http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=226427

17. goat

goat

The App Store feature is without a doubt because BulkyPix has influence with Apple but I wanted to download when I first saw the game and thought BulkyPix was your LLC pseudonym. It's a nice looking game and going the extra step to add personality to 'Gary' was the right decision.

LOL, this is what I mean by abandoning the zombie / war FPS obsession. Now you have very valuable intellectual property and now if your games does well for a while your have exclusive sequel rights and merchandising rights. Even if it peaks at 70 you still have intellectual rights to the character and a bit more of Apple's App Store ear then the legions of games devs and Apple devs. Excellent job.

Last edited: May 2, 2014
  18. mrlchristie

mrlchristie

Great job. Downloading now!

19. TTF

TTF

In Switzerland it is the 21th of the most downloaded games! :p
    It is cool to play but it would be really nice if you add some more levels in the next update;)

20. goat

goat

So I've played and I paused crashed. I was at the piggy bank scene (Exhibit 9) on an iPod touch 4th Gen with 8GB flash. I said no to 'Push Notifications'.

It's a good game though when you are waiting around and want to take it easy.

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Awesome!! It has done much better this week than I thought it would. The Apple feature is really powerful. I'm interested to see how it does when the Apple feature is done.

@goat: What device are you using? I've had many reports of crashes on older devices, especially older iPads. But I've not been able to reproduce any crashes on my devices. I've tried iPhone 4, iPhone 5, iPad 3rd gen, iPad 4th gen, iPad Air. I think I just need to add a note to the description that it may crash on older devices (iPad 2, iPad mini non retina, iPhone 3).

EDIT: just reread that you have iPod 4th gen.

22. goat

goat

The tech in my iPod touch 4th is the same as the iPhone 4, just cut the RAM in 1/2. Well, except the 'GPS cell phone such parts'. My crashes are typically Out of Memory. That's why I reject Push and such iOS notifications (well besides I don't like being nagged to play a game or read FB)...they stay memory resident and you get app crashes.

23. casperjeff

casperjeff

@MooseMouse
    How did/do you find working with your publisher, BulkyPix?
    Do you think that they got you visibility (and more importantly - revenue) where it would have been impossible on your own?
    Any advice for those trying to determine if we should self publish or use a indie publisher like BulkyPix?

24. Deleted User

Deleted User

BulkyPix saw my game on the TouchArcade Upcoming Games forum and contacted me. They presented my game to Apple, which I believe to be a huge factor in it getting featured.