Search Unity

Pro liscence

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by fredr92, Apr 24, 2014.

1. fredr92

fredr92

Hi im thinkin about buying unity 5 pro, but what happens if unity someday shutdown ? Will i still always have my pro version ? And if that happen and i Get a new computer i must talk with support team to Move liscense too new computer ?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Yes, as long as you didn't get a subscription.

No, you can do that yourself. (Although if the company disappeared, I doubt it would work since it needs to talk to their server. Not something to be concerned about any time soon, I would think.)

--Eric

3. fredr92

fredr92

Thanks so if the server shutdown , project goes back too free version ? And free version dont need too connect too server so it can in theory last forever ? :)

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Free version still has to be activated, so, if in some hypothetical future Unity got bought by space aliens, and they decided to irritate human game developers by shutting down the Unity license servers, then yes, you'll not be able to make Unity run on a new machine.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

I'm not sure we can take that kind of risk, Graham.

6. fredr92

fredr92

I m sure its a small chance that will happen anytime soon, but i hope if it shutdown sometime they make a solution for the users. Atleast the pro users. And i think this is Nice too know if You are planning too work on a huge project over time. Imagin working 2 years on a project and suddently You must cancel it.

7. StarManta

StarManta

Indeed. Speculating on what would happen if Unity goes out of business is probably futile (because they're incredibly secure at this point) and wildly uncertain. However, based on my experience with the company, I have little doubt that in that scenario they would release one final version that doesn't authenticate itself with the DRM server, and could be used and activated when the authentication server dies. Possibly even just open-source the engine.

8. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

I dunno, those space aliens are starting to really worry me. I mean, why would an official Unity employee start talking about space aliens unless THEY KNOW SOMETHING WE DON'T???????

--Eric