Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How much can shaders change the visual quality of your project?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NutellaDaddy, Apr 24, 2014.

1. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

I was just wanting to know? Can anyone show me some before and after using custom shaders or something. How mcuh do they change the quality, drastically?

2. sicga123

sicga123

It's a depends answer again. If the project is 2D then often better effects can be achieved by a good artist in photoshop, if one doesn't have access to a good artist, then shaders can drastically change the quality both of 2D and 3D. Look at the shader packages in the store usually they can be switched on and off in the demos, that will give you an indication of how drastic the visual quality improvement is.

3. smd863

smd863

Shaders completely control the visual quality of your project. A shader is literally the instructions you give the computer to take your geometry, textures, and scene information to generate the final image.

If you want of an idea of what you can do with custom shaders in Unity, a good place to look is the Marmoset Skyshop thread.

The default shaders in Unity 4 are perfectly decent, but they are starting to show their age. From the look of things so far Unity 5 should be a big improvement.

4. MarkrosoftGames

MarkrosoftGames

if its a good shader then probably a lot.

otherwise its like asking how much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck had a woodchipper?

edit: wrong kind of would

5. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

Alright thanks for the answers. I've been looking into because I
    ve been learning strumpy's shader editor.

6. orbobservation

orbobservation

You will need some decent shaders, there's many ready to go on the asset store. I've bought quite a few solutions which I suggest you check out- Skyshop, Alloy Physical Shader, Shader Forge, Bitmap2Material...