Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity 5 + Speedtree

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeadClot88, Apr 24, 2014.

1. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

The folks at speed tree are planing on bringing their toolset for making trees and plant life to Unity 5.

You can Find the press release here

For those who do not know what speedtree is here is a video. :)

2. goat

goat

Whoah! I'll have to save to afford that.

3. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Same but it will be so worth it :D

4. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Only $495.

5. LaneFox

LaneFox

Kind of oldish news, they posted about it a while back.

I think its great, really looking forward to it.

6. goat

goat

Rules is no work salary on Unity trinkets.

7. lmbarns

lmbarns

Curious how performance is. Looks amazing but I can't imaging having hundreds or thousands of trees moving so realistically. But looks pretty.

8. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Seems like you have to contact them for pricing plus the above quote. I don't like the 1990's licensing/pricing model here.

9. goat

goat

Performance wouldn't be good unless you have very top of the line hardware. Even a scene as simple as On-Q's Cartoon Nature Pack v2 demo scene(https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4383) pummels my i5 with Intel HD Graphics.

10. goat

goat

That fine print makes no sense except to say we don't have the power to police your use of this SW product if your use cases are not published for public availability but you're right, at $495 a game that's simply too much. I'll have to stick with what's supplied in Unity 5 Free. I can think of one type special purpose game where Speed Tree's capabilities would be needed and a $495 per game license makes sense for that all the other situations the vegetation is barely noticed except as screen filler.

11. pkid

pkid

I think it's important to understand the pricing is for the tool that allows you to make custom trees. You can buy speedtree tree models and use them in your Unity 5 game and only pay the cost of the speedtree tree model. Its kind of like substances. You can buy the tool to make custom substances but most people just want to buy substances. With speedtree I think most people will not want to spend their time creating custom trees, they will just buy speedtree models.

12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Which makes the licensing especially confusing. Unless you need a different license to be able to make trees for sale, and the license quoted above is restricted to making custom trees for use in a single project.

13. pkid

pkid

@angrypenguin - Yeah I agree, I don't understand why they describe the licensing that way.

14. goat

goat

I always read such licenses as we'll take what our sales staff can get from you so Thomas is right, proceed with caution.

For you guys, if you want to create trees for sale in the asset store: sell all your trees as one asset package and update. You need to price the package accordingly at the beginning and have enough trees in the initial release of the asset to draw interest. You know it's a hassle to add to my shopping basket rather than buy a package for say 50 botanical items for ecological niche zone 'X' with plants from other zones sorted into folders according to the ecology. I wouldn't like to scroll down pages of trees such trying to figure out if a palmetto tree and a Norway spruce are in the same ecological zone although I bet some US yards have both. This wasn't the special use case I was talking about but similar in concept to that case.

15. LaneFox

LaneFox

That's a very asinine license.

I am no longer excited.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

Video looks beautiful. Also, speedtree has been around for a while and they certainly know what they are doing.

However, when it comes to real-world realtime apps and games I suspect we might still end up with same old creepy trees that always try to look at player :D

17. sechrest

sechrest

Hi, Michael Sechrest from SpeedTree here. Sorry for all the confusion, we don't have our official Unity page up yet. Some of the licensing quotes in this thread apply to our traditional games product, not our Unity offering. Here's a link to a blog post I wrote with a few details:

http://blog.speedtree.com/2014/03/more-about-unity-5/

18. LaneFox

LaneFox

I hadn't seen that comment, it clears things up a bit in this context.

It's just confusing because you have "SpeedTree for Games", but it has nothing to do with "SpeedTree for Unity" (or whatever that is to be termed) and is a separate license while the Unity users would basically be building.. Games.. But not with the Games version..

Weird.