Search Unity

Deploy iphone game to single phone without appstore

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by zzeettoo, Apr 23, 2014.

1. zzeettoo

zzeettoo

Hi there.
    I am creating a mobile game for a friend.
    This is a kind of present, therefore it will be only for him and will not be published or whatever.
    The problem is the os of the phone because he uses an iphone while i have an android phone.

So i can make the game and test it with my phone which should be fine as it will only include very basic mechanics and functions, so nothing android- or iphone-exclusive.
    But once its finished, how can i give him the game?
    Every method i can find includes the appstore and a apple developer license for 99$ or jailbreaking the iphone.
    Isn't there something like creating the .apk and installing it like for android phones?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

No, you need to be an Apple developer and do ad hoc distribution, or do the jailbreak thing.

--Eric

3. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

No, there's not.

You'll need to pay the $99 apple developer license, but after that you can create an ad-hoc build just for his device rather than deploying to the App Store.

4. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Can't you just borrow his phone, create a provisioning profile for it, and then deploy your game to is using Xcode? You will need an Apple Developer account, though, but that's required if you want to do iOS development.

5. zzeettoo

zzeettoo

well okay, fair enough.
    So option 1 is getting the developer license and deploy the game directly via xcode or do some kind of ad-hoc deployment.
    option 2 would be jailbreaking ? but even with his phone jailbreaked, i would need the license to create the app, right?

6. shaderop

shaderop

You'll need a Mac before you're able to consider any of those options, else you won't be able to use XCode and won't be able to build the app in the first place. Do you have access to a Mac?

7. zzeettoo

zzeettoo

i have access to macs and i could borrow an iphone at least for the final stages of testing and development...

apart from unity, would a html5 based game be a solution? i know flash isn supported on ios right? is there html5 capable browsers?

8. SouthernCoder69

SouthernCoder69

Hmm…are you serious?

Here, let me google that for you..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+iOS+html5

Plethora of information, search, read, learn, enjoy. This is not 1985, you do not need to find a wizard to help you, you simply need to read the simple information.