Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Photo realisctic textures

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by DaReign, Apr 23, 2014.

1. DaReign

DaReign

Hi
    I would be very glad for links to tutorials shows how to archive such level o detail in Unity
    $unnamed.jpg

2. DaReign

DaReign

I know I need a lot of training to get such level but I have some additional questions. How to smooth edges
    $printscreen.jpg is it problem with graphic card or I just have to set some things in unity , I turned of antisaliasing (antialiasing doesn't smooth edges) to use hdr.
    And I also saw this amazing picture
    $HDR-1.jpg here https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HDR.html but there is too few informations how to get this such level.

3. RC-1290

RC-1290

To achieve the visuals you're looking for, you need to understand both the technical and the artistic sides of computer graphics.
    That image comes from the Butterfly Effect demo. There are a lot of things going on in that demo. They published a short video about it, and went into a little bit more detail in a presentation, of which you can view the slides here.

About the aliasing problem: It is possible to do anti-aliasing using an image effect.

4. DaReign

DaReign

Thanks RC-1290 for answer.
    Well I can only say Wow,wow,wow I wouldn't supect that so awesome animation can be done in unity but backing to the earth. I know that I have to spent many hours on learning and don't get such level in one day, even few monts. So far after few hours learning I got such progress.
    $progress1.jpg

I would be very glad for any advice to make it look more realistic. So far I added to camera antialisasing script but I still see "stairs". I don't know why shadows are'nt smooth (I use soft shadow and tried many settings). And I don't have any idea how to show shadow on reflective floor. I tried add above the floor semi transparent floor but semi transparent and reflective shadows doesn't accept shadows from directional light.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  5. RC-1290

RC-1290

A common method for creating more realistic lighting in static scenes, is simulating the way light bounces around the scene in advance, and using that data to simulate the complex lighting at runtime. This is called lightmapping, and luckily a tool for this, called Beast, comes with Unity. You can read more about it in the documentation. This can also create much more realistic shadows.

Another thing is is that the current version of Unity (and this was true for most engines for a long time) uses shaders which are just rough approximations of how light interacts with surfaces. Unity 5 will include a system that is more accurate. It's often referred to as Physically Based Rendering (or PBR, for short). To get PBR in the current version of Unity you can look at assets like Alloy.

6. DaReign

DaReign

Well I think its time to learn baking shadows :). Enough for today ;)
    $progress2.jpg
    Currently scene looks still more cartoon than realistic. I tried to set color correction curves but I'm not sure if I do it correctly. I'm totally amateur graphic who start it learning today so please be patient if I ask stupid questions ;).