Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Will my game get through the review process if I use the subscription model?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by TokyoDan, Apr 23, 2014.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

My board game has two modes:

1. Single-player against the AI.
    2. Online synchronous multiplayer.

I am going to have an IAP called the Multiplayer Board Pack as it includes some special boards for use in multiplayer games. This IAP includes the ability to play online multiplayer games.

I am also thinking of instead of a one-time IAP, using the subscription model for the Multiplayer Board Pack. e.g. one dollar buys one month of online play.

But I don't know if this idea will successfully get through Apple's App Store review process, The App Store Review Guidelines that pertain to my idea are listed below. But none of them are clear nor fit perfectly. It seems to me that since a game is not a magazine or a service that has renewable content every month, that such a subscription IAP would be rejected. But what gives me hope is that 'cloud storage' which is mentioned in article 11.15 seems to be OK. Cloud storage is not content that is renewed every month and is similar to a service like online multiplayer.

Will my game get through the review process if I use the subscription model?

App Store Review Guidelines

11. Purchasing and currencies

11.6.Content subscriptions using IAP must last a minimum of 7 days and be available to the user from all of their iOS devices.

11.9 Apps containing content or services that expire after a limited time will be rejected, except for specific approved content (e.g. films, television programs).

11.15 Apps may only use auto renewing subscriptions for periodicals (newspapers, magazines), business Apps (enterprise, productivity, professional creative, cloud storage) and media Apps (video, audio, voice), or the App will be rejected.

2. SouthernCoder69

SouthernCoder69

I don't think this will be allowed. Clearly infracts with 11.15.

3. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

+SouthernCoder Thanks. But based on my interpretation it doesn't CLEARLY infract. e.g. 11.15 is for "auto renewing subscriptions". Apple distinctly separates subscriptions into two types: auto renewing, and non-auto renewing. I think if I use non-auto renewing (which in my interpretation is for something like cloud services) I may be OK.

4. arklay_corp

arklay_corp

It will not go forward, I already tried something very similar with a board game (free to play locally, subscription needed for online playing)

You can switch to some other models:
    - You can play for free once every X hours, if you want to play more often you have to pay
    - You get X "online chips" if you use them all you need to buy more
    - ... endless possibilities

But all of them without what you want: charging the player automatically each month regardless if he plays or not, Apple's subscription model is designed to protect the player against this (thank God)

5. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

+arklay_corp I'm not sure you understand…

I don't want to charge the player automatically every month…that is an auto renewing subscription. That is not want I want. I want a simple NON auto renewing subscription…meaning the player has to manually BUY a NEW 1-month subscription every month. Why? because the player's online play service is timed to shut down after one month of use. The one-time subscription is for one month ONLY of online gameplay. To me that is the same as paying for a 1-month cloud storage subscription (one month of usage) every month which seems to be allowed under NON-renewable subscriptions.

6. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Why not ask Apple?