Search Unity

Third Party Photo PUN + Network Optimization

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by mccormatj, Apr 22, 2014.

1. mccormatj

mccormatj

For a school project I am required to make an application that is capable of implementing network optimizations through network coding techniques that conserve battery power consumption. Before starting the application I wanted to check with experienced Unity developers if I would have the opportunity to integrate these techniques if I got Photon PUN+. I am worried that I will make the application and won't be able to implement the optimizations due to limitations of Photon PUN+.

Thanks in advance

2. tobiass

tobiass

Wow, that's a tough topic for a school project.
    With Photon, you can control the amount of messages you send and the content to some degree but the general workflow and the headers for the messages are fixed. I can't say if that is enough control or not.
    How deep do you want to dig to implement power conserving techniques? Down to socket-usage level?

I doubt that PUN+ has a big benefit for you, except that it also exports from Unity Free to iOS and Android. I assume you don't have Unity Pro for those platforms?

3. mccormatj

mccormatj

I'm not fully sure yet since I've just been getting introduced to the project. I know one optimization would be exclusively OR-ing messages that are met at a relay point to eliminate the amount of data sent back out. We aren't using Pro since it comes with a decent price tag if I remember correctly. I'll have to talk to my mentor exactly how deep some of these optimizations are. I'll probably get back in the next day or two.

4. mccormatj

mccormatj

Also just to fill you in this isn't a standard school project, but a year long computer engineering research course which is why it is rather large and complex. Our group consists of 4 programmers all entering our final year as an undergraduates.

5. tobiass

tobiass

Mail us to developer@exitgames.com if you need PUN+ or something else. We support school projects whenever we can.