Search Unity

Magnetbots - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Quriousity, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Quriousity

Quriousity

$Magnetbots_splash.jpg

Hi everyone, my name is Reagan from Qurious Games and I've been working on a project called Magnetbots since the end of last year. Magnetbots is an multiplayer community game very much inspired by the likes of Neopets and Medabots from my childhood but will be available for both mobile and desktop.

So, a little info about Magnetbots:
    Magnetbots are inhabitants of Coil whose limbs are detachable and are easily swapped out for different parts in order to fulfill different functions. So the main aspect of this game is for players to explore Coil and collect different parts for their own Magnetbot. These parts can be anything ranging from medieval knight combat outfits to chefs, from lumberjacks to pirates. The possibilities are endless!

Collecting different items will give you new abilities and unlock various minigames and activities throughout Coil. Each minigame will have a leaderboard and the best players will be rewarded with Magnets for their outstanding performances. Players are also encouraged to find stronger parts and team up with friends in order to take down mighty foes in each region for epic prizes.

You know what? It might be easier to just take a peek at our first preview trailer to get a better feel for what the game is really like:

[video=youtube_share;VG2gMgdTlfc]http://youtu.be/VG2gMgdTlfc

I hope you guys enjoyed that! Please visit our website for extra information on the game and our development process. Also please feel free to have a go at our demo. You can create an account or simply select "quick start" to jump right in. There are still a few bugs here and there as well as some missing features like a proper quest/dialogue system to guide players so you'll have to wander around a bit. Bonus: all items are already unlocked on startup!

Anyway thank you for taking the time to look at my project and I would appreciate any feedback from the wonderful Unity community! I'll be actively updating this thread with our progress in the coming months. And please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you might have, I'm more than happy to share the experiences I've had developing this game as a way of giving back to these forums seeing as how it has saved my sanity countless times. I've actually been on these forums for a while now on another account but decided to make a new one for this post, got to start acting professional :)

I'll leave you guys with some concept art:
    $Characterconcept_trainer.jpg
    $Magnetcentral_lab.jpg

Unity packages used for Magnetbots:
    Photon networking plugin
    NGUI
    Parse
    PoolManager
    JMO toon shader pack
    T4M
    FingerGestures
    Easy Touch
    Casual Music Pack
    Slider Puzzle Pack

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  2. Quriousity

Quriousity

Here are some more NPC/character concepts!

$Magnetbot_customisation_character.png
    $Characterconcept_merchant.png
    $Characterconcept_tesla.png
    $Characterconcept_banker.png

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  3. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

Well, I don't like very much the tiny minigames genre, but the art is great. I love those bots!

4. Quriousity

Quriousity

Thanks MadBlade2 :)

I think I can understand your apprehension about the genre which is why in Magnetbots I'm hoping to achieve a good balance so that the minigames aren't the primary focus and that they all feed back into the main elements of the world itself. I guess I'm experimenting with the short play session formats of mobile games in conjunction with a more in-depth universe/story. A good model to look at would be Runescape I guess. Each of their skills are basically a catalogue of minigames/activities but they all play a role in the larger quests within the world.