Search Unity

Problems with MonoDevelop

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by TBubernak, Apr 22, 2014.

1. TBubernak

TBubernak

No matter what I do, I can not figure out why the compiler throws errors like this. When I try to play my game while in Unity, an error (sometimes multiple errors) comes up saying "Could not start compilationWin32Exception: ApplicationName='[Location]'"
    I screen shot (linked here) the errors that happen when the game tries to compile.
    Even when I use done scripts from tutorials, errors still show up about MonoDevelop. I have Unity version 4.3 and MonoDevelop version 4.0.1.
    Please help!

2. wondyr

wondyr

Would suggest posting the actual code not an error screen shot with stuff marked out.

3. TBubernak

TBubernak

Sorry about that, the only thing I crossed out was names of some personal files, but I'm using a script from this video in my game. The script is exactly the same, yet the same message shows up (like above). When I try to attach the script to my player, a small window shows up saying "Can't add script: Can't add script behavior [script name]. You need to fix all compile errors in all scripts first!"
    I'm unsure what to do. Maybe it's where the programs and files are located that the compiler won't work right?

4. wondyr

wondyr

They should be located in Unity under it's current project. Again posting the script would help. It shouldn't show the names of the personal files unless they are in that script as well. Also if you look in the Console tab in Unity it should give you a reference to where the error is located. IE (5,17) means 5th line, 17th character.

5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Based on those errors, I don't think they're from a problem with your code. I think it's saying it can't find the compiler, which suggests an installation issue.

Also, for future reference, MonoDevelop is not the same as Mono. It sounds nitpicky, but if you ask for help with one when what you actually need is help with the other you might not get what you need.

6. Stardog

Stardog

It's something to do with the idiotic Comodo firewall update. Steer clear.

You have to allow mono.exe, and it'll block it even when you allow Unity to run it.

Last edited: May 3, 2014