Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unitrello - A seamless integration of Trello and Unity

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by EF, Apr 22, 2014.

1. EF

EF

Hey there,

For the couple of weeks, I have been working on a plugin that makes it possible to manage game projects, directly from Unity Editor. This tool is built on top of Trello, which makes it easy and fun to work with. If you don't know what trello is, you can check it out in action here: https://trello.com/b/nC8QJJoZ/trello-development. Personally I use it for every personal and commercial project, that I'm working on.

There are two key ideas behind Unitrello. One is that it feels good to have everything in one place. Jumping between web browser and Unity distracts developer from actual work. Here user can update his status on given task, without stopping actual work. The other thing is that Trello is a general purpose tool that can help organizing virtually anything. As a consequence it lacks some features that are specific to project management. On the other hand, tools like Jira are way too complex for small projects and teams. When I designed Unitrello I wanted it to be as simple and fun as original Trello, but also wanted it to feel like a solid project management tool.

So, what's Unitrello all about?
    It's built from two main modules:
    * Dashboard
    * Project manager

Dashboard
    A dashboard is a little area in Unity's scene window that constantly monitors changes in Trello board. If something happens(new task added, someone commented on a task, etc) a notification pop-ups and keeps user informed.

A screenshot of notification area. User can switch between two modes:
    * Show 6 recent notifications
    * Show whole list of all changes for current project

Project Manager
    Project manager is a place where all work gets done. It has a very similar user experience to Trello. There are three lists: "To Do", "Doing", "Done". All new tasks are placed in "To Do" list. When you start working on given task, you drag it and drop on the "Doing" list. When you are done, you move task to the "Done" list. Simple.

Screenshot of Project management window

Current functionality
    * User Authentication
    * Realtime monitoring of changes happening in the project
    * Customizable skins
    * Simple task management(moving tasks between lists)

Planned features
    * Window for viewing task details*
    * Ability to post comments directly from plugin*
    * Ability to create and manage tasks directly from plugin*
    * Statistics and graphs (ie. burndown charts)
    * Reports
    * More additions to dashbord(ie. information about upcoming deadlines)
    * Improve collaboration between developers(post screenshot from editor with one click)
    * Some integration with version control system(connect commits to relevant tasks automatically)

* - Features to be implemented for public release.

The plugin is still in it's early stage and there is plenty room for improvement. I'd love to see community's thoughts on this. All feedback will be appreciated :)

Cheers!

2. Cheetoturkey

Cheetoturkey

Looks very good!
    Whats the Expected price?

3. EF

EF

Haven't decided yet. No more than $30 though

4. duncanx

duncanx

Nice idea. My 2 cents is to support having the dash (or whatever component you expect people are mostly using) in a separate editor window...so I can undock it and stick it in a separate monitor.

5. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hi,

This is indeed very very good.

I am currently supported PlayMaker members and created a trello board for people to vote up and keep track of user whishes. So if we can have a two way system where user can edit a task, or at least voting or leaving a comment, that would be really great!

Bye,

Jean

6. EF

EF

Thanks for comments!

Yeah. There definitely should an ability to make all modules, share standard editor window behavior(docking, etc).

Unitrello is based on Trello authentication system. As long as user has ability to edit cards/comment, he will be able to do this from Unitrello as well.

7. tolstenko

tolstenko

I found your post when I was checking if anyone made something similar. You made a pretty good work there. When it will be released?

8. BrewCityGamer

BrewCityGamer

Hello! I don't know if you are willing to help, but worth a shot.
    Question 1) When will this be available ? :)

Question 2)
    My name is Jeremy, and I am currently a programming student. I am taking a API Class and we have been assigned to make a Unity Editor tool. Trello is one of the agile project tools we use, and we thought it would be awesome to have that in Unity as we work on our projects.
    Low and behold you are working on this already it seems!
    We have been working on this for a few weeks now and are starting to think that this is going to be way over our heads. We currently can log in, and it request's a token. Then after it logs in, we can get the information, (members info, board, etc) to show up in a URL. We are having difficulties with the GET,PUT,POST,DELETE functions. How do we display the board, and cards in the Unity editor once logged in ?

9. Jean-Fabre

Jean-Fabre

Hello,

Very good! I am glad you are working on this. I am currently not working on this at all, but I am willing to help you here if you want, I believe strongly in this kind of integration.

Do you have problems making the query to begin with, or treat the results? or show the results in the editor UI?

If it's to display a card, you first need to think about how you want to lay it out, I would totally go for a combination of horyzontal and vertical layout and inside them the data. I would also copy the way they position information on trello website so that users in Unity are not lost. So your first step is to make a mock up without any data coming from trello REST api, and then use this and inject data inside this mockup/template.

Does that make sense?

Bye,

Jean