Search Unity

Morphing skyboxes and ambient lights

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Unityaware, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Unityaware

Unityaware

I am a visual effects / 3d artist, not a programmer, I have no programming experience whatsoever. I am working on a VR music project with amusicians, where the environment has to change to reflect the tempo and the mood of the music, changing from a dark / nightime Skybox to dawn / foogy and perhaps even into rain / thunder or bright daylight. I have already designed some of the appropriate Skyboxes, light colours, ambient light etc. I just wonder how difficult it would be to devise scripts where the skyboxes or skybox images morph gradually into each other whilst at the same time changing other render settings such as fog, ambient light etc or how much it would cost to get a programmer to write such a script?

I have bee thinking about weather / daytime modules, but I like the control I have designing skyboxes and tweaking the lights.

2. bigmisterb

bigmisterb

I did this a while back by using a second camera to take a picture of my sky, the second camera was always the same rotation as my first camera. Then I created 2 blocks for my sky. I put my current sky on the inside, and any new sky on the outside. When I wanted to swap, I simply faded the inner object to nothing. This would be the sky swap. I made sure that I then put the swapped sky on the inner block and made it 100% again.

Ambient lighting and such is controlled during this process, as I simply made 1 script that would do all that.