Search Unity

Camera Near Clipping Problem?

Discussion in 'PSM' started by xxPillsxx, Apr 20, 2014.

1. xxPillsxx

xxPillsxx

Hi,
    Recently I got the beta and I got into making a test first person horror game, and I've discovered a problem with the camera:
    You should know clipping plane, near, it determinates how close the object can be to the camera before it becomes unrendered, in Unity when I try to play the game the camera works fine, the object can get a very close distance to the camera before it becomes unrendered, but when I deploy the game to the Vita the near clipping plane seems to not work correctly, it still see through objects at a farther distance than the distance desired (compared to when in Unity editor).

You can test this yourself by going into Unity, select a camera, set its near clipping to any number(make it small), then move an object toward the camera(or vice versa) and see the distance between the object and the camera when it becomes invisible, then deploy to Vita and do the same and see if the object becomes unrendered at a farther distance than in Unity editor.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Hi, this might also be to do with the camera problems expressed in this thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/240752-PSM-Unity-Issues-I-ve-found-so-far
    It does sound like a Unity bug so if anyone can pass it on or let a member of unity team know, it should hopefully help get a fix in the next Unity-PSM release :)

3. xxPillsxx

xxPillsxx

I have sent a detailed report, hope to hear from them soon. The performance isn't that bad, it's just .. not widely supported yet, but the camera problem is killing everything.
    I encourage you to also SEND BUG REPORT to ANY BUG YOU SEE

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  4. blackbird

blackbird

it s really annoying what i hate most is that no one from unity show's up to make some clarification

5. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

6. blackbird

blackbird

thank you for your answer but i m using just a plan and i get the same issue like xxPillsxx

7. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

Of course - you can get the same problem with a Plane primitive - since it's not infinitely subdivided. My point was that a Plane is subdivided into a group of smaller triangles, while a side of a Cube primitive is only two triangles.

In any case - I think we've found the core reason for this issue, so hopefully we can get it fixed soon'ish.

8. blackbird

blackbird

oh i see thank you very much for your explanation it's really helpful and what about shadow casting issue do you have any idea why they are missing ?

9. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

It could be related to the same thing, but to be sure we would like a repro project for this problem as well. Graham requested one in the other thread.
    If you have a project you can share, that reproduces the shadow problem, please submit it together with a bug report (Help menu -> Report a Bug).