Search Unity

Is there a market for PBR art assets before Unity 5's release?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Misciagno, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Misciagno

Misciagno

I'm sure that many of you have tried Lux and or Alloy and are aware of the difference between assets that are made for PBR and assets that are not. Right now its hard to make a universal asset that will work out of the box for unity with PBR since you need an asset store plugin. To get around this until Unity 5 is out I would include the photoshop file with the layers for the textures so that users could tweak them for whatever workflow they use. So I've been wondering if anyone would be interested in PBR assets now if they were priced fair. To me that means nothing over $20 and it would have to be a complicated object with high rez textures to validate that price. I know that there has been a thread similar to this but I wanted to include some pictures so people could see what I'm talking about for the price. Just for a rough idea of prices I would say maybe $10 for the sword and $5 for the fire extinguisher I don't plan on selling these specific items of course.

2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I would buy assets like those (especially with Photoshop layers like you mentioned) without hardly thinking about it, if only to get more familiar with PBR texturing.

3. niosop2

niosop2

If you have Substance Designer then it might be even better to release a substance instead of PSD files for each asset with toggles to generate textures for different PBR workflows (spec/gloss, spec/roughness, metalness). Add a couple sliders in to allow levels adjustment and then the textures could work with whatever PBR solution the purchaser is using.

4. Misciagno

Misciagno

Thanks that is a great suggestion. Ill look into substance designer that way I can just provide the shader with the assets so both Unity 4 and 5 users will be able to use it.