Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Natural Bloom and Dirty Lens Live Demo

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by sonicether, Apr 19, 2014.

1. sonicether

sonicether

Hey, everyone! I've put together a visualization of an image effect I've recently created that provides high quality bloom (done the right way) and a dirty lens effect. The effects are energy-conserving and highly optimized. The effect costs roughly twice as much as rendering Unity's optimized bloom effect (1.0 + 0.5 + 0.25 + 0.125 + 0.0625 + 0.03125) and produces very large and perfectly smooth highlights. To try to achieve the same effect with built-in image effects, you would have to stack at least 6 bloom effects, and even then Unity's bloom does not allow for large or smooth enough kernels. I've tried, which is why I decided to write this image effect. Unity's Profiler reports that the effect is rendered on my gpu (GTX 560 TI) at ~0.8 ms rendering at 1440 x 900.

Here's a screenshot of the demo.

Please let me know what you think! http://sonicether.com/unitydemos/se_natural_bloom_01/

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is beautiful... I definitely need some post fx that are super optimised and super natural... I am especially interested in your physically based lights.

3. kerafrymm

kerafrymm

Amazing.

4. nasos_333

nasos_333

Stunning :)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Jumps between 20 to 50 fps on my laptop... which is pretty damn good.
    Also.. it's so pretty.

6. ZJP

ZJP

Wooo !!!. :eek:MG !!!
    It's time now for a serious discussion : ETA and how much? (and please, don't skip this question...)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  7. Deleted User

Deleted User

That is beautiful, looks very photographic. Just spent couple of minutes staring at screen, had mesmerizing effect on me for some reason :D

8. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Looks quite stunning

9. Whyherro

Whyherro

10. chrisall76

chrisall76

Keeps a solid 60 no matter what setting, nice job.

11. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

Great quality effects, lighting and demo! Solid 60 fps on a new MBP.

12. Glader

Glader

Amazing work!

13. Jamcount

Jamcount

This is really amazing, Excellent work.

14. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

I guess this guy isn't coming back to recap us if it will go for sale or anything huh? Lame :(

15. sonicether

sonicether

Thanks for all the comments, guys! A good buddy of mine has convinced me that it'd be a good idea to put this on the Asset Store, so I've been busy putting together the documentation and GUI and generally getting things ready to submit. It should be done in the next few days! We'll see if the asset is approved and put on the store. I'll definitely be updating everyone here on my progress.

This asset will include the image effect, 16 high-quality dirty lens textures (IMHO better than the one I used for the live demo), thorough documentation, the demo scene I posted in the OP, and a custom emissive shader that can output very bright values (used in the demo in the OP). The documentation will also include a tutorial for non-programmers on how to edit any surface shader to output brighter light to make HDR workflow easier in Unity.

I'll probably update the live demo to have the ability to swap through all of the lens dirt textures that will be included.

Only one thing is undecided at this point. Price. I just have no idea what to ask for this. I'd like to get an idea of what others think would be a fair price. This will help me make a decision and make sure that I price this asset fairly.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  16. Kaji-Atsushi

Kaji-Atsushi

I'm not much of an asset store browser/buyer/seller myself, but I would think you should try to look at any comparable assets that are currently being sold. You can then weigh out how much better/worse your asset is compared to others then factor in to how much time you spent and how much you want for it.

Good luck!

17. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

That's very good news then! Hard to think of a fair price for this. Haven't been checking the asset store since I purchased Shader Forge..

18. nipoco

nipoco

This looks good.

I consider something around $30 as fair, if it's well documented and has good support.

I would suggest not to choose a ridiculous high price like ProFlares for $80. You'd still get a lot sales (yes, people are that desperate to get good graphics in Unity). But you'd also scare away a significant number of customers. There is no way I would pay that much for one image effect. No matter how good it is.

There is also something similar (maybe not so sophisticated like yours) in the store for $10

19. RecursiveRuby

RecursiveRuby

Keeps a solid 60 fps for me. And looks AMAZING btw really looking forward to seeing this on the asset store.

20. squared55

squared55

I'd go a little higher than that. $40?

21. nipoco

nipoco

I'd be ok with that. But that would be the absolute limit.

22. ZJP

ZJP

30-40$, fine for me, and yes 80$ for Proflare is too much.

23. squared55

squared55

In your other thread, you mentioned "physically correct light attenuation and physically based shaders". Would this be included as well?

24. sonicether

sonicether

Physically based shaders and correct light attenuation are rather unrelated to this effect, so that'll be a separate thing. I've got so many ideas for how to improve Unity's graphics. I'll have to experiment and see what improvements would be best bundled together.

25. ZJP

ZJP

squared55 is not the only one that deserves an answer to his question. So,
    ?????

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  26. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@ZJP: that kinda makes no sense... elaborate?

@sonicether: Awesomeness... i presume this is pro only though :( but still, worth a bask in the sun! 8)

BTW, the price i would buy this effect at... $15! this is a price that would be in my reach!

27. ZJP

ZJP

Your question is the only one he replied. Nothing about the ETA or the price :(

28. squared55

squared55

This whole thread is about deciding the ETA and price. He can't answer because he doesn't have an answer (yet).

Was hoping those would be included... Ah, well. Still an awesome effect that I would probably buy in an instant (assuming it's not overpriced). :)

29. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

I would like a free version that showcases it a little. Maybe with a set value. I can tell you put a LOT of work into this. Good job mate!

30. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Great job man

31. FreakForFreedom

FreakForFreedom

Sooo... any news about the release date and price? :)

32. ZJP

ZJP

33. sonicether

sonicether

34. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Do this work also on mobile?
    Do you test it on ios or android?

Edit:
    Just read in another thread that you can not test it on ios so i have to buy it to test it myself :)

Btw. i have the same gtx 560 ti and here it runs mostly with 200 fps for short times down to 160

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  35. HyperBeeCore

HyperBeeCore

WHERE DO I GET THISSSSSSS

36. GeneBox

GeneBox

Beautiful. Also 59 - 60 FPS.

37. mathias234

mathias234

This is amazing :)

38. Sykoo

Sykoo

I'm wanting to cry over t he fact that I cannot afford pro license of Unity! :( I do not understand where most people finds the money neither. Hmm, I'll starve until I get it then :D

39. brianasu

brianasu

That looks really nice. 20$ is a steal if you consider that less than 1 hour of a full-time developer. @Sykoo if you are a student there are some third party retailers which can give massive discounts.

40. Sykoo

Sykoo

Hi! Yes, I am a student. Could you please tell me more about those? I'm really wanting to get a pro license for higher results in my game that I'm planning to use commercially.

41. brianasu

brianasu

42. MikeR_UFG

MikeR_UFG

Has anyone given this plugin a shot with Unity 5?

KRGraphics likes this.
  43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yes, and it is BEAUTIFUL :)

MikeR_UFG likes this.