Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Dealing with mesh parts and normal maps

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by FC_Krampus, Apr 18, 2014.

1. FC_Krampus

FC_Krampus

I'm trying to import a model into my scene, it isn't that high-poly (a hair under 45k polys) but apparently too high for Unity to deal with, so it gets split into 2 parts. Thus when I try to apply the normal map I have of the whole model, it doesn't work right. I also assume this will create issues with rigging and animation down the line. Is there any way to deal with this, or do I have to make sure my models are under a certain polycount to be able to use them? According to the console it seems like I have to keep the model under 65k verts, which I believe is around 16k quads, which is pretty restrictive for a high quality full body model.

2. drewradley

drewradley

It's 65k triangles, not verts. I suspect your 45k poly hair is quads making it 90k triangles.

3. FC_Krampus

FC_Krampus

Ah, I see. Thanks for the info. I managed to reduce the poly count further and import it as a single model, but now I'm getting a "Group1 has no normals, recalculating normals error" and my normal map isn't having any effect when applied. I'll admit I'm not all that technically-minded in this sort of stuff, but seeing as I was able to generate a normal map from my model, doesn't that imply that it has normals? Any ideas how to deal with this issue? Thanks for the speed reply by the way.