Search Unity

What Script for Unity 2D?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jammydodger, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jammydodger

jammydodger

I am new to Unity and would like to learn it with the sole purpose of creating interactive books and educational apps for pre-schoolers and up to age 12. I would like to know - taking into account that i won't be using 3D or highly complex game mechanics and architecture - what would be better to learn: c#, unityscript or boo? I know a little actionscript 3.0, nothing about c# and hardly any javascript.
    Thanks

2. User340

User340

First question, what's Unity2D?

Oh and about the language, just go with IL it's the fastest and most powerful.

3. jammydodger

jammydodger

Notice i wrote 'Unity 2D' not 'Unity2D' to allude to the new 2D tools as a subset of the Unity3D game engine.
    Can you tell me what IL is thanks

4. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

_Daniel_: Your trolling is not appreciated.

jammydodger: I recommend C#. There's the most resources available on it, compared to UnityScript (Unity's variant on Javascript - note that it's not vanilla Javascript, it's more similar to ActionScript) or Boo.

5. DanielQuick

DanielQuick

It's actually just called Unity. The domain is Unity3D.com because Unity.com was taken.

6. HavocX

HavocX

C# unless you got some really good personal reason not to.

7. User340

User340

@superpig: as if there aren't enough threads on the topic???

8. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

If your not doing anything complex and don't need 3d, and already know ActionScript, you could just build it in Air.

9. User340

User340

Oh it just looked like some title of something :)

Sure, JavaScript, C#, and Boo all get compiled into something called IL. It stands for Intermediate Language and is directly used by the CLR. From my understanding, it is indeed possible to view, analyze, and write code in IL.

10. jammydodger

jammydodger

Thanks @superpig @HavocX and @Zombiegorilla.
    Could you recommend a good C# beginners book or online resource.
    @_Daniel_ i am sure you were just kicking my butt for being a Freshman on here. Yes, i did look in the forums, but if us beginners didn't ask such questions, you would be denied the pleasure of displaying your supremacy :p