Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Applying textures to gameobjects

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jmaldonado93, Apr 18, 2014.

1. jmaldonado93

jmaldonado93

I am new to Unity3D and I want to develop a simple game which will display asteroids. I have seen several options in the Asset Store but there is a package of "Rock Textures" in the "Textures and Materials" category that I like. I have thought that I can design the asteroid shapes (game objects) and then "apply" such textures. I want to clear up my doubt before spending my money.

Is this possible?
    If so, is there any issue that I have to take into account for this task?

Repectfully,
    Jorge Maldonado

2. StarManta

StarManta

Assuming you mean 3D model asteroids, yes, this is precisely what those materials and textures are meant for. The biggest concern you will have to be aware of is having a UV set that doesn't twist or distort the textures too badly.

If you're talking 2D asteroids, then you can't do that within Unity. The textures will come down as image files, though, so you can Photoshop those image files to become your 2D sprite asteroids.

3. jmaldonado93

jmaldonado93

My game is 2D. What is your recommendation to get my asteroids look real? I am oriented to software development (programming) and not to design and I would like to get my graphics ready to use.

Regards.

4. StarManta

StarManta

Make the asteroids 3d ;)

More seriously, it's probably best to make them by hand from scratch in Photoshop. But, yeah, the assets on the asset store aren't going to be much help to you (unless there's one that's specifically 2D asteroid graphics). Even if you buy them and Photoshop them, they're gonna look flat.