Search Unity

Where to start?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SIDChip, Apr 18, 2014.

1. SIDChip

SIDChip

Hello all, I am new to Unity and also to this forum so please be gentle with me :p

I have in the past played around on an Apple IIe in about 1986 where I made a text adventure in High School, I used to tinker around on my C64 and Amiga and had a stint on the PC for a while, so gaming wise I have an idea of what kind of game I would possibly like to make, but.......

Where would you guys think I should start in relation to getting to grips with Unity within the software or tutorial wise? I have the free version and I know there are beginners tutorials but where do you feel I should really start to get to grip with how to use this software since there is quite a bit to cover and I would like to begin in a way that is progressive and not all over the shop.

If this comes across as somewhat confusing them I do apologise :)

Thank You.

2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I'm also of the Apple II/C64 era (and Sinclar ZX81!).

I started with this 11 hour course (not free):
    http://www.lynda.com/Unity-3D-tutorials/Unity-3D-35-Essential-Training/96677-2.html?srchtrk=index:1%0Alinktypeid:2%0Aq:Unity%0Apage:1%0As:relevance%0Asa:true%0Aproducttypeid:2

It's for version 3.5 and it's almost two years old now, but a lot of it is still applicable. Everyone's learning style is a little different, but I found it a great intro to most of Unity's features. I would have preferred C# to JavaScript, but the course is not super deep into the coding side of things, so no big deal.

3. SIDChip

SIDChip

Ah cool! You would remember the days of Zzap64 and My Sinclair :)

A pleasure to meet you Steve, thank you so much for the information and your input.

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Big Zzap fan. I exchange the occasional tweet with julian rignall, I'm sure you remember him. Zzap64 was something to truly look forward to each month. I loved it.

Eventually I had all 3 of the main 8 bits: c64, cpc 464 and speccy! Those were the days.

5. SIDChip

SIDChip

Hippocoder, I know your username from somewhere, ever been a member of English Amiga Board?

Julian Rignall, most definitely remember him mate, love those reviews with the comical cartoony pictures of them for each game review :) It great that you are in touch with him, such a iconic figure he was during that time for us Zzap readers :)

I was never that lucky to have all 3 systems, I was extremely happy though with just having my C64 even if for a while I was loading from bloody Cassette Tape ... grrrrrr.... lol