Search Unity

Web Based tools that you should be aware of for Game Dev

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeadClot88, Apr 17, 2014.

1. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey everyone,

Just thought that I would put this thread together to show off some of the awesome tools that the web has to offer for game development.

1. Sketchfab - So you are making a portfolio. Want to show it off in a different way? Try Sketchfab. it displays your models in fully 3D in the browser. [LINK]
    2. IKinema - Rig, Retarget, Animate and even clean up mocap data in the browser! Export it as an .FBX into unity for 20.00 dollars a month per user for the full package. [LINK]
    3. Clara.io - So you don't have your modeling solution with you and you need to show off you modeling or animation skills to your prospective employer. Enter Clara.io. A modeling app in the web/Cloud. Currently in beta it is free to try as far as I am aware. [Link]

Do you know of any applications in the web or cloud that are awesome?

If so put it in this thread. :)

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't know of any web tools that would do 3d modeling or something that specific, but in terms of general tools I like Trello.

It is a nice way to get organized without too much fuss. Helpful even if you work alone and want to see quick visual overview of your project, your progress, tasks you have to work on etc.

3. casimps1

casimps1

Good idea. I'll add these:

pixlr.com - for those of us not privileged enough to have access to Photoshop. The pixlr editor can do many of the same things as Photoshop in your browser and it's absolutely free.

bfxr.net - great generator of retro-style sound effects. Lots of parameters to tweak but also includes presets for common types of sounds.

4. jerotas

jerotas

Filemail.com - like yousendit but way better IMO. No need to sign in, just put to and from email addresses, attach HUMONGOUS files if you want, and hit send. Great free service and there's a cheap paid version too if you use it all the time.

By the way, www.projectlocker.com is the most affordable SVN hosting we've found. Great service and uptime as well.

+1 on Trello, awesomeness!

5. Korindian

Korindian

Littera - Online alternative to BMFont. The creator posted it to the Unity forums here.

6. andymads

andymads

The Facebook Developer tools Graph Explorer and Access Tokens.

7. Cogent

Cogent

Not web based but...

As of 4.21.2014 this link works. Need to have an Adobe ID but CS2 PS, After Effects and more are free, with serial numbers ... for now :cool:

https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/entitlement/index.cfm?e=cs2_downloads

Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  8. arvzg

arvzg

I don't mean to nitpick but I think it's pretty important to note here that CS2 is Not actually officially free. What has changed is that Adobe turned off their authentication server for CS2, so technically anybody can download it and use it, however legally you are still required to own a copy. It does not mean Adobe is giving away CS2 for free. It just means they are not enforcing it.

Now I am not saying you should or should not use this to your advantage, coming from an IT background and having been exposed to semi-corporate level license compliancing I just feel it's really important to note this difference

9. Cogent

Cogent

10. Cogent

Cogent

11. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Yeah, I thought that was the case. I wouldn't be "skeered" either, but I'd still know I was on the dodgy.

And seriously, why have a dodgy outdated copy when the current version is $10 a month?

12. Cogent

Cogent

Why? Because CS2 works quite well and $10 a month will help defray the (exorbitant?) cost of a Unity sub. :p

Outdated? ...most of the plugins I use also worked in a 10 year old copy of Photoshop Elements that came with some Wacom tablet and they continue to work well in PS CS2. Most of the plugins I see on the web have versions that work in CS2.

Everyone should read the discussions and make your own choice.

Take care.

13. Stardog

Stardog

14. arvzg

arvzg

These ones are kind of a given to most, but since we are listing Web Based tools, they must be mentioned:

https://github.com/ - which is the most popular online Git repo host. They do not however offer free private repos.
    https://bitbucket.org/ - My personal choice for Git host. They allow private repos in free accounts.

casimps1 has already mentioned pixlr.com which is an excellent Photoshop alternative. Another one you could try is
    http://www.sumopaint.com