Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Unity Pro Ocean Water Waves

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Nano Diode, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Nano Diode

Nano Diode

I don't really know if this is the right place to put this question, but what I want to know is whether or not it is possible to create a plane of water that does not start abruptly. If I have an island and I put a plane of water, the water just appears at a certain water level. I would like to create a more realistic effect by have waves crash against the island. Is there any way to do this? And if so could somebody give me a working demonstration of this effect? I have been looking at other articles which mention some code regarding the vertices of the plane but still do not really understand it at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. RC-1290

RC-1290

Of course it's possible ;), there are several assets which handle ocean water.

I'm working on a dynamic simulation of water, called Surface Waves. Currently still in closed alpha, but I'm getting it ready for public alpha soon, and you can take a look at a demo of it on my site.

But you might not need a fully dynamic system if your scene is static. Suimono is quite pretty and it automatically places shoreline effects based on scene height.

If price isn't an issue, there is Triton, which tries to simulate how oceans react to varying strength of wind.