Search Unity

Custom Waypoints on Map

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Chiroptera, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Chiroptera

Chiroptera

Hey,
    I am currently working on map creation and trying out some things and need some help with custom markers or waypoints. Like in SaintsRow or Mafia2 or GTA where you can mark a place where you want to go and the way will be highlighted on the map/minimap so you don't have to memorize the way.

I know how to make a map. I know how to make a minimap that updates your position (although I'm quite basic with that. I just put the map-texture on a plane below my terrain, I have a camera for the map and a gui-texture on that camera for my player. then I parent the map-camera under my playerobject so that it has the same x and z position). But I'm kinda stuck with that "marking a random point on the map" thing. I would imagine that it is quite easy to do, but I just can't get a good starting point - or lets say I just can't think of a way to do it right now.

I need to be like pushed in the right direction. How would you do this? (I just need a description or an idea how I could do this - not an entire script or anything.)
    If I would need to set up my map in a different way than what I'm doing now, then please tell me. Maybe there's a more efficient way or mine's too basic to work with or anything like that. I'm no pro but I know a bit about unity and scripting and am eager to learn more.

thx

2. KelsoMRK

KelsoMRK

Assuming your "ground" has colliders on it I would raycast the ground to get the waypoint and then use A* to calculate a path from the player's position to the waypoint. This would involve giving your world some kind of navigation graph.

3. Chiroptera

Chiroptera

Thanks. That helped a lot. Hadn't heard about A* until now - with that pathfinding system it really is as easy as I thought. I still have to look into the scripting part of it though. But that was definitely that piece of info I needed to go on.