Search Unity

Quote of the day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BrainMelter, Apr 16, 2014.

1. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

-- Anthony Robbins.

Do I agree or disagree with this quote? ... I don't really know. But it is quite pertinent to how we design our games. It's time to copy Flappy Bird.

2. sedativechunk

sedativechunk

I disagree with that. First of all, if I'm looking at the right "Anthony Robbins" then he is a religious, nut-job motivational speaker that never went to college, had a bastard child, and has had one failed marriage. What kind of guy is that to take advice from?

Furthermore, I think that quote is BS.Being successful is about being smart and putting in hard work. Not about copying others. It's okay to get ideas/inspiration from other sources but ultimately you should make your own path in life.

And in speaking of game development, I think it's a really crappy idea to copy someone else's idea. Think about Super Mario (the original). Let's say you made a game exactly like it but with it's own premise. Personally I feel the audience wouldn't buy it because it's too similar to Mario. It's the ones that take a bold dash with something new/creative that are successful. And Flappy Birds was a stupid social experiment.

3. shaderop

shaderop

I think I know how to play this game.

I want Flappy Bird in the world.

It's time to copy Flappy Bird!

4. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

Deep

5. sootie8

sootie8

6. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you want to be successful, understand that 90% of success involves luck. If success was as simple as platitudes make it out to be, we'd all be rich, live to be 250 years old, terminal illnesses wouldn't exist, and we'd all live on Mars.

7. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Totally agree. As long as you "copy" the right lesson.

For example, if you copy what Dong Nguyen did, by constantly building games both personally and professionally, be driven enough to win programing competitions and be standout professional developer at the game company he worked for, then turn that drive into building games independently with a clear and specific goal, and then refining and iterating on that goal with each successive game till you get it right and it pays off, then YES, you can probably be successful.

However if you just copy the game he made, then NO you will probably fail. He didn't succeed by waiting for someone to figure it out and clone it.

8. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

"Right". It's such a hard word to define.

9. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

A statement that is itself a platitude. ;) I would agree if with that statement, as long you define "luck" as hard work.

10. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I was using in as in 'correct'. Sure, his statement is ultimately vague and empty of real value (as most 'self help' peddlers), but there is value at looking at the process of those who are successful. Looking at how he designed/marketed the game could be have some value. Cloning, not so much.

11. Murgilod

Murgilod

I don't. I define it as "luck", plain and simple. You know who work exceptionally hard, even just to survive? The people we call lazy all the time: poor people. Poor people spend their entire lives working hard because their lives depend on them doing just that. They are not successful by any means because they will have to keep working that hard to keep surviving. Yet because they aren't "successful" we call them lazy because we have the misguided notion that hard work = success pounded into our heads from day one.

If you want to be successful, you need luck on your side.

12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I wouldn't disagree with that. I would, however, disagree with the 90% number.

I certainly wouldn't call "poor people" lazy. And I would hope that most folks don't think like that.

13. Grimwolf

Grimwolf

There actually were some Super Mario clones back in the day for NES. I think the fact that most people don't know they existed attests to what kind of success they found.

14. Whippets

Whippets

See my Sig - well, it made me smirk XD

15. gallenwolf

gallenwolf

// in my opinion
    Luck = opportunity + preparation;

16. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Add some courage into that too. You won't make any luck if you are too afraid to fail.

17. BrainMelter

BrainMelter

18. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Stupid quote. Great in theory, very rarely realised.

Especially coming from a guy described like this..