Search Unity

Lets talk about an new subscription model - A lower barrier for Indies

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HeadClot88, Apr 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I am making a new topic based off this one which is turning into an insult fest near the end. So I am starting a new topic on the matter.

5 percent Royalty Gross revenue on a lower priced subscription model - 15 Dollars USD / Euro / Pound Sterling. No yearly commitment of course. You get Unity Pro for as long as you subscribe.

Add-ons could be separate but the core ones that most of us use Android Pro and iOS Pro are included.
    Team and Asset server are separate.
    As well as the others.

However - No Royalty on the 1500 USD perpetual license. Still need to pay for major version upgrades BUT they would be lower in terms of cost includes most "Add-ons" minus the asset server and a few others.

Maybe do away with Unity Free at this point maybe or Instead of doing away with free you default to free if you do not pay or at the end of a billing period you cancel your subscription?

Once again just and Idea.

Do you think that this would work?

Yes? No? Maybe?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  2. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I think that option would be a huge seller. A lot of Unity Free users would definitely go for this. And honestly, Unity could charge anywhere from $15 to $19 per month and it would work awesome.

3. goat

goat

If they did away with Unity Free at it's current level and with the excellent improvements that will be made by Unity 4.5 4.6, I would seriously consider going over to UE4, regardless of the past money I spent on Unity 'Basic' licenses and the money I've spent in the Asset Store which I've chosen not to make Unity Free like Unity Pro but to make Unity Free even easier to use.

If they want to create a Unity Pro Free that forces the game maker at accept ads in lui of paying for Unity Pro or if they want to change the price to their subscription plan well then fine but I'm not to interested in trading Unity Free to subsidize a bunch of folk's Unity Pro subscriptions which is in essence what such a plan would be.

Don't forget, Unity Free will always be the choice in places where $10 or $20 a month is a lot of money. Unity Free is Unity's in to establish a market where UE4 can't.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  4. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I personally would go for it.
    However if it was 19.00 USD on the subscription model then most people would go for unreal or at-least that is my thinking.

I personally want Unity3D because of the mature asset store and the helpful forums. :) unreal 4 has yet to mature in these ways but that is my 2 cents.

5. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Honestly the adverts would chase me away from unity if they were put in.

Like I said - This is only an Idea at this point so yeah..

EDIT: Let me edit the post real quick.

6. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

I don't think it makes sense to get rid of Unity Free. The Free version is a zero risk way to get people into the Unity ecosystem. Some Unity Free users buy assets from the store and some of them upgrade to Pro. The Free version helps the overall Unity ecosystem. I think Unity should keep Free and keep the paid for version of Pro, and then add a low cost subscription option like the one outlined in this thread.

7. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

I amended the first post.

Hope that helps and honestly I would have to agree with you. Zero Risk other than time spent in unity.

Dont know what I Was thinking :p

8. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Edits look good. I think a new subscription plan based on these terms would be a huge seller.

9. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Same here - I would like to see what others say though :)

10. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.