Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Hour Terrain Demo

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 20, 2013.

1. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Eagleeyes,

We don't have an exact date yet for the new version. As both Peter and me are pretty bussy, we work on many things at the same time...Thanks for the idea by the way :D.

Nathaniel

2. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok, but don’t miss Easter. Maybe I’ll make one as well, with portals and planes and choppers you can steal. Then maybe if you’re unlucky you get a booby trapped Easter egg or banished to the top of a mountain far, far away. Watch out for those monkeys.

3. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

4. eagle555

eagle555

5. le_duke

le_duke

And here is my entry for the screen shot contest.
    $TheSearch52.jpg

I'm really surprised by the natural aspect of the map it is really awesome.
    I was also thinking that the display distance of trees was shorter using the terrain system in unity.(Or maybe you have made some modification on it ?)
    I would have liked to buy it already but for the moment i'm a poor student ^^
    Hope i will able to buy it in a near future !

As I said in my previous post i'm working on a paragliding simulator and I really need good looking terrains.

Duke

6. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Don’t eat for a week and you’ll have it. To win you will have to bring some pretty awesome pics. If you’re not a graphic designer you most probably won’t be able to deliver those pics that are expected. And yes, I did not eat for a week.

7. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Hmmm….Just thinking about this, paragliding ….. I do like that idea. Would you have base jumping as well? If you do decide to do that, then I think integrating this into the Oculus Rift would be cool. I could do that for you. Here is my direct email: eagleeyez@gmx.de

8. le_duke

le_duke

Yeah maybe , anyway I'm here for fun too so we'll see :D

Base jumping is not targeted for the moment because Tinus From http://volo-airsport.net/ is doing it way better than me =)
    I'll contact you if i need some Oculus Rift integration ty to offer your help ;)

9. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Ok, when you get something finished I can throw it through the rift and see how it’s looking.

10. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

I wanted to try that base-jump but it requires a game pad controller. I do have one but it seems to be broken. I have now ordered a new one a can try it again tomorrow. But just how stupid is that, that I cannot use the keyboard or mouse. Stay with your ideas, nothing is perfet and everything can be changed.

11. eagle555

eagle555

I've updated the download links to dropbox. Should work better then mega...

Nathaniel

12. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

13. eagle555

eagle555

Lets hope so, I don't see that featured, but the Unity Editor will be 64 bit, which will be a huge improvement and also there's many optimalizations. I will ask Unity about this...

Nathaniel

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  14. unity3dcoder

unity3dcoder

It goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway...fantastic work on the demo, it does a great job of showcasing the quality and flexibility of the assets used and the talent of the individuals using them :D

I would be very interested to know what assets you used for the grass, flowers and trees - and I'm assuming you used maps in TC for coverage ?

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to the release of the next update !

15. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for the compliments. I used TerrainComposer for it with a perlin mask and a mask where I select color based on image, the technique is showed in this video:

Nathaniel

16. unity3dcoder

unity3dcoder

Where did you get the grass and flower assets that you used in the demo ?

Thanks for the video !

17. eagle555

eagle555

Peter made most of them by hand...

Nathaniel

18. gamergath

gamergath

If you can come up with that in 24 hours, oh my, I dunno what my eyes could have handled if you did this in a week. Awesome work guys (y)

19. LunisequiouS

LunisequiouS

Here are a few screenshots in Ultra Widescreen (6040x1080) =)

Attached Files:

20. Imillionaire

Imillionaire

Hello everyone,

when i create any number of terrain 1x1 - 16x16, and apply any heightmap (to test it out i just a basic perlin, with default settings) and im going through each terrain and smoothing out the edges where it meets the water asset ive dropped into the scene. and periodically going into terrain composer and using the quick tool "Stitch tool" and terrain composer freezes and the window goes blank. if i load an earlier scene it'll start working again, but i can never go back to that original scene where it froze, and continue using terrain composer. attached is a SC of what happens to the window. and the error that i get.

has anyone else had this issue? and hopefully know whats causing it/how to solve it.

Attached Files:

21. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I send you a mail with the fix for this ;).

Nathaniel

22. Kivak

Kivak

Nathaniel,

When you built this, did you have any trouble with memory problems? I am making a map which is 5x5 terrains at 2000x2000 units each, using RTPv3 and 8 splats and I am continuously getting Unity crashes from lack of memory - especially when adding grass/trees. I disabled grass/trees rendering in the editor but it doesnt make any difference. I have all but given up on my current project because of it. You say this is 900km^2 and you appear to have more grass and trees than I have ever placed in mine. Do you have any advise as to how to reduce memory usage? I have 8 gigs of RAM in my computer. But Unity being 32-bit doesnt have the ability to make use of it, right?

Thanks for any help! I am so discouraged because of this...
    -Mark

23. Becoming

Becoming

Hey, dont give up but save often ;)

We used only 2x2 Terrains, we found that using many terrains is not neccesarily better or more preformant, you think it would but unity does not handle terrains very efficiently. if you do custom culling(there is a script included with TC) its better but still most of the time using fewer terrains is the way to go, when working use lower resolution and only generate the target resolution for the builds. It may be neccesary to restart unity before doing so because unity is leaking a little and freeing up the memory by a restart might be needed if you want to squeeze the last little bit out of unity.

Your terrain is only 10x10km, so you could go with one terrain and a 2k heightmap and get the similiar(or even better) result than we got.

Peter

24. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Mark,

Like Peter says it has to do with resolutions you choose. Can you send a screenshot of the resolutions in TC Terrain List -> Resolutions?

Nathaniel

25. Kivak

Kivak

Hi Peter & Nathanial!

(I thought this got posted last night, but I must have been so tired I forgot to hit the "Post reply" button XD)

Thanks a lot for the advise! I had often thought about whether fewer tiles was actually better/worst than more... I tried it a few minutes ago with 4 terrains at 5000x5000 with 2048 splatmaps and it works MUCH better! I loose a little detail but at least I can work with it until Unity 5 comes out! :) but thanks so much for the hint, now I can keep moving forward!

Though I do have one question which cropped up now that I am using bigger terrains... When I had 1000x1000 terrains or even 2000x2000 terrains, i had to push the grass strength up to 1.0 to get an acceptable lush "field". Now with my 5000x5000 terrains, 1.0 strength makes my grass extremely sparse (like a grass every 2 meters). I point to this amazing work of Mt. Rainer again - how did you get such a beautiful coating of flowers and grasses?

Here's a screenshot of my scene and the Grass layer + resolution. You can't see the grass picks, but the Strength is 1 and the mix rate is 0.5. I found that if I put the mix rate to 30, I get somewhat more grass. But then my filters don't really work.

Thanks so much again!
    -Mark

26. Becoming

Becoming

I know this problem, lets see if i can help you with what i remember.

First thing to do would be to set your "grass per patch" to 16 or 32, the higher this value the more likely you get little hiccups while movement, this is not affecting the framerate overall but just gives loading spikes, there is not much that you can do about this as its again something that unity just does not handle very well to say it in a friendly way. The next thing is to crank up your grass resolution much higher than you have it. i am referring to the 2 values at the top which say 128 and 8 at your screenshot.

Then if this is still not enough density(most likely the case) you have to use more grass textures, which will give you double density with every grasstexture you add, the benefit is also that this way your grass can have more variation, the downside and that is with grass on unity terrain in general that it affects performance really badly so try to use as little grass as possible, for example its a good idea to match the bottom side of your grass textures with the color of your terrain grass textures. Another thing i noticed lately its also good to make your grass blads not start all at the same height on your grass textures, this have to be done carfully as if you put some grass blades too high above the ground they will appear floating, but if done right it will break the flat apearance of the grass billboards/planes a little bit. also to get more visual denisity its best to make the grass a bit higher than what would be realistic but dont overdo it.

I am not sure how well Toms VolumeGrass performs on huge terrains but its a good way to get a nice basic density and then use unity grass only for accents and extra variation. Look for Volume Grass on the assetstore, its a great asset but i have not tested it on huge terrains yet.

Hope this helps, dont forget to show what you achieved to support Nathaniel and Tom and Lars who made the wonderful assets. Good screenshots are always welcome and i am sure they help them a bit with getting more attention for their products.

Good luck ;)

27. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Mark,

To add to what Peter said. Your Heightmap/Splatmap/Basemap resolutions are 4k, which is very high. You can decrease the heightmap to 2k, the splatmap to 1k-2k and the basemap to 1k. That will boost performance and memory a lot. What you can do in RTP to still get a detailed looking heightmap is using global normal maps. That's what we did in the 24 hour demo, as the heightmap is 2k.

Nathaniel

28. Kivak

Kivak

Peter, Nathanial,

Wow, between both of your suggestions I got everything to work perfectly!! I bumped down the heightmap to 2k, splatmap and basemap to 1k, and everything is working like a charm. I didn't quite understand the grass resolution's function, so once I bumped that up to 1k, everything worked flawlessly! Now I have wonderful vast meadows!! ...but the flowers aren't quite as good as yours Peter! Yours are amazing!

With this, I am going to be putting the finishing touches on a demo scene from my game. I'll have to publish it on the TerrainComposer/RTP pages. :)

Thanks so much for all your help!!
    -Mark

29. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Mark,

I'm glad you got it to work now. Can't wait to see your demo scene :D.

Nathaniel

30. eagle555

eagle555

31. Kivak

Kivak

32. McSwan

McSwan

HI,

Was wondering if you you guys could share the .scene file for this? I can buy all the necessary asset store assets to make it work.

33. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

We don't share the 24 hour demo, as someone bought it from us and is using it for his game.

Nathaniel

34. VoidGames

VoidGames

Shoot I followed your guide and made the 24 hour demo lol. Does that mean im not alowed to use it in my game?

35. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Sure you can ;), only we don't share the original.

Nathaniel

VoidGames likes this.
  36. VoidGames

VoidGames

Awesome! Well I basically made the resolutions for mobile and replaced all the trees and such with low-poly versions, as well as optimizing everything intensely. going to be using it for a mobile post-apocalyptic mmo :D

Thank you!

37. VoidGames

VoidGames

Hi again,
    Today I went to try something different with the splat textures but when I shift click select all and then shift click the RTP it gives me this error

klass != SCRIPTING_NULL
    UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(String)
    terraincomposer_save:assign_rtp(Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Scripts/terraincomposer_save.js:7440)
    TerrainComposer:draw_terrain(Int32) (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:5459)
    TerrainComposer:paint() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:2293)
    TerrainComposer:OnGUI() (at Assets/TerrainComposer/Editor/TerrainComposer.js:883)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

not sure what to do, never gotten this error before. thanks.

38. eagle555

eagle555

Do you have RTP in your project?

Nathaniel

39. VoidGames

VoidGames

Yep I have RTP in my project, in its latest build.

40. J_Troher

J_Troher

I've made rideable horses out of a good quality store asset horse. Fully animated. I have also put it in photon. :) message me sometime. Maybe I trade you my horse script ;) it works with any character controller out of the box. And has support for AI

41. eagle555

eagle555

Awesome, can you make a build or video of it?

Nathaniel

42. J_Troher

J_Troher

Sure I'll make a web demo and put them in it. You can see screenshots at my Dev blog on IndieDB: http://www.indiedb.com/games/mundus-novus

43. Freddy888

Freddy888

44. eagle555

eagle555

45. Freddy888

Freddy888

46. eagle555

eagle555

47. lod3

lod3

Huge thank you for this!

Is this why the 24-hour demo download links no longer work?

48. eagle555

eagle555

No, the runtime dropbox links should still work. And the demo is still available for download.

Nathaniel

49. lod3

lod3

50. eagle555

eagle555

I tried both the 32bit and 64bit windows versions, downloading, unzipping and running. They both work fine here. So don't know what the issue is at your place. Does anybody else have the downloads not working?

Nathaniel