Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

24 Hour Terrain Demo

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Dec 20, 2013.

1. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yeah, it's like finding a needle in a haystack... Next to impossible.

2. eagle555

eagle555

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  3. bocs

bocs

4. halcyonideals

halcyonideals

congrats!

$TheSearch59.jpg
    $TheSearch165.jpg

Edit: An improvement I think on an earlier shot, I love this view.
    $TheSearch1.jpg

5. ChadH

ChadH

Fantastic

You found it !!

I am sure I do not want to know how many hours you spent :p

6. Charl Marais

Charl Marais

Congrats!! Can you now show the rest of us where on the map it is located?

7. iamsam

iamsam

Congratulations!!! bocs, you really deserve the prize for finding the needle in the haystack.

Merry Christmas everyone and Happy holidays.

Some more screenshots (I am still enjoying the scenery ... :))

$TheSearch3.png

$TheSearch4.png

$TheSearch2.png

$TheSearch5.jpg

$TheSearchFinal.png

Sam

8. bocs

bocs

I'll wait, maybe they would like to continue the contest.

if not I have a map screen shot to show where.

9. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Bocs,

Congratulations with finding the egg! You found the needle in the haystack!

You won the Asset Bundle consisting of TerrainComposer/WorldComposer/RTPv3/AFS Advanced Foliage Shader, a total value of $90+$90+$65+$20 = $265! Congrats!

Contact me at my email Nathaniel_Doldersum@Hotmail.com to get your prizes ;).

Yes you can show everyone on the map where the egg is located. Here by the egg contest search is closed and we will place a different color egg at another position in the next update and then the contest starts over again!

In the maintime the screenshot contest is still running!

Nathaniel

10. bocs

bocs

11. halcyonideals

halcyonideals

I'm not sure why I have to unzip a fresh copy of a build to have the screen shot's work again with the mouse click. Even using my systems ctrl + print screen leaves me a copy of my desktop like the program isn't running. It throws an exception error when in windowed mode for the screen shot, both first and second runs. None windowed mode works fine for screen shots the first run, but doesn't take screen shots the second run. Reboots have no effect.

Visual Studio Debug pulls up this from windowed mode runs,
    Unhandled exception at 0x00007FFF05C9B559 (ntdll.dll) in TheSearch_Win_64_V1.1.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x0000000000000008.

No idea why there would be an access violation, there is full control, checked the folder security, even ran the program as admin, and it works just fine on the first run in none windowed mode. I uninstalled Commodo firewall over this just to make sure that wasn't interfering, it was still detecting in full screen mode that the program was trying to write to the folder and I was allowing it but there was no exception being thrown before I dropped all security, then disabled, then uninstalled that program.

Windows 8.1

Unzipping/Starting new it works fine and copying over my position file.

This isn't a big deal, it's just reminding me of something from last semester that I'm glad is over.

$TheSearch164.jpg
    $TheSearch167.jpg
    $TheSearch174.jpg
    $TheSearch175.jpg
    $TheSearch176.jpg

12. halcyonideals

halcyonideals

oh no! I just missed the egg. I got lazy on that corner the mountain south of it drew me in. I can't believe it. Great job bocs.

EDIT: that was fun. I just had to go to the egg and stomp on it. thanks.

13. Becoming

Becoming

14. Becoming

Becoming

haha, i'm sure it felt good, next time we'll add satisfiying eggstomping fx ;)

15. elias_t

elias_t

To the creators of the demo: AAA work! You really push the limits of Unity and it is a shame if UT leaves the terrain engine in its current state.

I gave my 10 votes on Unity Feedback.

Also I bought TerrainComposer a few days ago and I love it.

16. braaad

braaad

Here are my entires

Do you guys plan on doing a brief walk-through on how you created this at all? Sorry if this has already been asked, might have missed it.

I also watched that video from Unite regarding terrains. It was a bit of a joke really. I have heard a few mentions of Tom working on a better grass solution, getting a bit excited!

17. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Wow! Congratulations for finding the egg.

I still needed an hour to find it even though I now new where to look. In the attachment for everyone wanting to get there is a position.dat file.

Version 1.2 is when?
    Change attachment.php in rar or zip, upakct and copy posision.dat to your terrain demo folder, overwrite to start where the egg is.

Attached Files:

18. eagle555

eagle555

Hello EagleEyes,

In version 1.2 it will be a easier to travel as it is possible to teleport to where you have been before.

As for the release date, not sure if there will be 1.2 before Christmas.

Nathaniel

$teleport.jpg

19. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Elias_t,

Thank you very much for the purchase and the compliments :).

Nathaniel

20. Frednaar

Frednaar

I gave 5 votes to the terrain Feedback, it is more than 155 votes in 1 day.... keep it on guys !

21. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Looking Forward to Teleporting. Still would love to fly like an eagle.

Attached Files:

22. Dogcomplex

Dogcomplex

Truly amazing work you guys, it was beautiful!!!

23. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all your amazing screenshots and participation in the contest. We have a great update comming after Christmas, we will be back then.

Merry Christmas!!

$97.gif

Nathaniel

24. SevenBits

SevenBits

Thanks, you have created something really cool here.

25. jashan

jashan

This looks really awesome!

But you should consider providing another download source. MEGA doesn't like Safari, and I don't like having to install another browser just to perform a download. I tried it with Safari but while unpacking the file I'm getting an error and it just won't run :-(

26. botumys

botumys

Merry Christmas!!

$TheSearch6.jpg

$TheSearch7.jpg

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  27. SevenBits

SevenBits

28. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Everyone,

We have a great update comming. The screenshot contest is still open until the next update is online in a few days!

Nathaniel

29. johnb2

johnb2

Hi,

First I'd like to say that this thread, the contests and the images have been really fun. Second, this asset is outstanding if it is able to produce this level of detail. I first saw this asset on youtube the other day and have been following it ever since. I think the best thing I've taken away from this is that I've learned quite a bit about building large expansive terrains in Unity - just by experiencing the demo.

Anyway, here are some screenshots:

$1.jpg
    $2.jpg
    $3.jpg
    $4.jpg
    $5.jpg

30. johnb2

johnb2

Two more:

$6.jpg $7.jpg

31. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

All of those assets allow for beautiful AAA quality with ease. Alas I have not the funds for such things! ;_;

32. halcyonideals

halcyonideals

better get the egg then :p hopefully I have time for the next run

33. SevenBits

SevenBits

Seeing some really awesome screen shots here! Awesome job guys!

34. BDX777

BDX777

Kinda laggy

35. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

Time to maybe upgrade you hardware? Just a thought.

36. lazygunn

lazygunn

To nathaniel and the other fine folk who made this, I have a request that would be very much appreciated, although i could understand any reticence (And its very much self-interest motivated)

That area has an absolutely enormous number of trees in the real world, if you have hardware sitting around the gtx 580 mark (that could go up to 760 maybe in non compute tasks), could you see how many trees you could put on it before it started looking unwell? Might make for some fun screenshots too if it works out!

37. SevenBits

SevenBits

Yeah, I'd like to see this as well. It could be a configurable option, like "super tree mode" or something. There should be some clear areas, though, like in real life, so that you can see the mountains and stuff.

38. Gibbonuk

Gibbonuk

Hi, i dont want to hi-jack this thread but got a few questions regarding this demo.

Mainly, if all the plugins that were used in the demo were purchased, could the above be produced in unity standard(or free, basic...) and it look like above?

Basically, is there anything going off in the demo that is "pro" only?

thanks
    Andy

39. lazygunn

lazygunn

I didnt even realise they were going to update it as a product, i just wanted to see the area with a huge number of trees in it - interesting thing is, maybe, that i'm not too bothered if i cant see much for trees, locally, but if i can see a peak or slope at a far distance or height, it still looks well populated

40. CIMAGN

CIMAGN

It would really be great if you guys could make a video to show how you created this terrain, it would especially be helpful for those getting started with TerrainComposer and RTPv3. I had a quick question, what kind of performance hit do you think will occur when you put colliders on the trees? Is there a way to dynamically allocated the colliders which would improve performance? Waiting eagerly for the next version, hopefully will have time to play with it before diving into work next week.

Sam

41. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

That's a good question. Yes you can get the same look with Unity free. The only thing that is a Unity Pro feauture is the image effects we use on the camera. That is motion blur, depth of field and sunshafts.

Nathaniel

42. eagle555

eagle555

That a very interesting idea. In the current demo we have 400.000 trees in there. Unity can do about 1.2 million trees in 32 bit Editor before running out of memory. We could however generate the trees on runtime with TerrainComposer and have like 2 million in there, would be great to try out.

Nathaniel

43. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Sam,

I will make more tutorial videos for WorldComposer, TerrainComposer and a little RTP that will explain how to get such terrain. We also used WorldMachine to add more erosion to the heightmap. Did some editing in photoshop on the satellite imagery. Its all very simple techniques of photoshop tweaks we used. Like saturation, brightness, colorization, etc.

As for the tree colliders, it's not possible to add them with the amount we have (400.000). Although we are currently working on something that makes it possible and a lot more, we will talk about it later in more detail.

Nathaniel

44. Kridian

Kridian

Will be curious to hear how you solve that. I know forum member jc_lvngstn had his Dense Forest attempt looking good at one point, but... sadly, it has gone cold.

45. Antigono

Antigono

woow thank you very much for sharing this with us, and congratulations for the result, really impressive.
    As already said, it would be good idea to share some tips on how to achieved this result with the tools.
    I have in my possession TerrainCompeser and Relief Terrain Pack v3, but I am far from getting something like what you got.

I do not usually post, in fact I think it is my first post, but did not want to miss this opportunity to congratulate ;)

I do not know if the screenshoots competition is still open , but still i leave my new wallpapper :)

Sorry for mi English!

$TheSearch_01_Antigono.jpg

46. norby

norby

i like to spam with a couple of pictures from my journey 

thanks

Norby

Part-1

$1.jpg $2.jpg $3.jpg $4.jpg
    $5.jpg Hi

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  47. norby

norby

part-2
    $6.jpg $7.jpg $8.jpg $9.jpg $10.jpg

48. norby

norby

49. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks Nathaniel for your reply. I am not sure why my username changed, I probably must have logged in using my asset store account.

I am still working on using WorldComposer and although a bit daunting at the beginning, it is quite an amazing tool once you get the hang of it. I tried will tree colliders and it worked for my scene as it is relatively very small and there was no change in performance at all.

I was wondering if it would be possible to have an Oculus Rift version (when you release the new versions) since I tried my scene with it and it was really awesome (except for blurring as my video card is a bit old).

Thanks,
    Sam

50. oscarkool

oscarkool

Seeing a map like this makes me feel comfortable making a 5km x 5km multiplayer game. Are there issues with large terrains when you add multiplayer/rpg elements?