Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

question before making the game

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by ico170, Apr 10, 2014.

1. ico170

ico170

hy i was wondering is there a way to make a 2D game run on windows and on android and play on the same server(against each other)
    one app for each device...

if it can how does the game sync movement of the characters(because of the difference in the screen size) i was planing on using photon networking because they have a 20 user free server.

so basically is it possible?

2. TournyMasterBot

TournyMasterBot

Short answer: Yes, it's possible, assuming the android client and windows client send data to the same back end server, and send data in such a way that both clients know how to interpret it.

That being said, platform differences between the two are fairly significant, and a game designed to run on one generally has limited use on the other unless you're planning a companion app, or enhancement app. (Not saying it can't be done, but generally there's a lot of considerations.)

Be aware, you're very likely talking about a full fledged networking app, and it's likely not going to be a small project.

Search the forums for syncing movement. Generally you 'buffer' time using longer animations than what you think latency should be. IE: If you have a 1 second ping, you can buffer with a 1.25s - 2s animation and have time to 'catch up' and compensate for network lag.

3. tobiass

tobiass

There is nothing that should stop you from doing cross platform games.
    Much like MasaMuneWos already said, you will want to make sure the lowest-end platform also copes with the amount of updates and is able to display and handle the maximum number of items and characters on screen (like all other platforms).

4. ico170

ico170

ty that was what i needed to hear

i will look in to all of that and my plan was on making simple games and turn based games(soo i think it will not be heavy on the network and syncing)

5. tobiass

tobiass

We are rolling out some new features soon for turnbased games. You can setup a web service that Photon will use to save and load games. Together with a community for authentication your players have a list of their games to continue.
    Still in Early Access but pretty much open for everyone, you can get the package here:
    https://www.exitgames.com/en/Turnbased/Dashboard