Search Unity

Sidescroller Project, I need your Feedback!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by GoldenSkullArt, Apr 10, 2014.

1. GoldenSkullArt

GoldenSkullArt

I want to share my sidescroller project and hopefully get some feedback!

What kind of feedback? Everything! I want your opinions, emotions, criticism, whatever you got! I am pretty new to really trying to become a game developer.
    What would you like to see in such a game?

What does it cost? maybe 1-2 minutes? +15-30 seconds of writing down your opinion/thoughts.
    Your opinion could make a huge difference as you know, developers tend to become blind after a while.

Iteration #2:
    $GameScreen.jpg

Link: http://www.maxheyder.com/upload/Secret/Web03/Web03.html

Controls: Keyboard
    Game: WD to move, S to duck(and collect), K to attack, Space to jump, E to interact
    Start Menue: WASD to switch buttons, E,K or Space to Apply(works only on Start btn now)

Notes:
    New Features: Ladders, Movable Objects, Buttons and Doors, Menu Buttons, Big Enemy
    After the great feedback from last time, I adjusted the attack range and speed a bit and slowed down the quick enemies. Also, I added a bit more gameplay variation and tried to add a little level design with the limited features I have so far. Added more persistent health drops to make the game a bit easier.

Old Version:
    $Screens.jpg
    Controls: Keyboard
    Start Menue: Enter, Space to start
    Game: WD to move, S to duck(and collect), K to attack

http://maxheyder.com/upload/Secret/Web02/Web02.html

Thanks for your interest, time and great feedback! :D

Thanks for your interest and time :D

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  2. SEG-Veenstra

SEG-Veenstra

Well, I like your art. Why did you choose those controls? I automatically went for the arrowkeys and spacebar. Also, when I try to start I couldn't tell if i clicked wrong or that the game took a while to load. Other than that I think you've gotten a nice platformer going on!

3. primus88

primus88

Art is nice.
    Control is ok (I was expecting WASD since the character has to crouch and attack and that is difficult with arrows).
    Very difficult (way too little health)

Good luck.

4. GoldenSkullArt

GoldenSkullArt

Thank you SEG.Veenstra and primus88!
    I chose the controls, because I planned to make an input management and change system in the options later, so people can map the controls however they want, so the current state is just a quick decision to have them. But I agree with you, it is a little weird at the moment!

SEG.Veenstra, I will definately add a loading popup, so people are not confused right away.

primus88 I agree that it is way too difficult, I will definately have to balance the enemy numbers and placement.

I will upload an updated version later today, I am looking forward to hearing more of your precious feedback, that helps me alot!

5. GoldenSkullArt

GoldenSkullArt

Hey everyone, I am currently playing with the styles for the game, before I put alot of time into it, I want to hear your opinions.
    Would you prefer a ghostly character in an artsy world? or would you like me to keep the style the way it was before, inspired by cartoony rayman origins, but a tad more serious?

New, darker, light driven, more artsy screenshots
    $Lacandon_Screens.jpg

older, more comic-ish rayman inspired screenshots?
    $Lacandon_Screens-Old.jpg

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on this. There are so many possibilities, it is hard to make a decision.

6. GoldenSkullArt

GoldenSkullArt

Just for updating, I played with styles a little more and this is a current ingame screenshot in unity. It uses sprites, therefore it won't be possible to mix it with particle effects, but it is going in a very good direction, I think. What do you guys think?

$Lacandon_Screens-140419.jpg

7. alexfeature

alexfeature

Great looking game!

Your art is definitely appealing and creates a great sense of depth. Atmosphere is also fantastic but I think it would help if you gave a little background or perhaps a bit of the plot. Something as simple as a bit of text in the loading screen would definitely help players connect with the game.

I would also suggest to put the game up on IndieDB and Greenlight as a concept. From a personal experience I can tell you that you will get a great deal of input and support for your project. Having three points of exposure is a lot better than one :)

Besides watching your popularity ratings will help you get a sense of what the audience wants to see or how they perceive your creation.

The best of luck to you Max.
    - Alex