Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Network Setup Recommendation.

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by neroziros, Apr 9, 2014.

1. neroziros

neroziros

Hi there!

Currently I am working on a small top view 1 vs 1 / 4 vs 4 fighting game and I was wondering what would be the optimal setup for its networking. I already know I must use an Authoritative network setup but I am not too sure if I should use a P2P or Dedicated Servers architecture. (I know that dedicated servers are less prone to lag, but I am not sure if the maintenance price is worth the improvement, taking into account the low amount of players per match)

I would like to know what you would suggest me for my game's networking.

Cheers and thanks for your time!

2. DWORD

DWORD

The question should be asking is: Authoritative or Non-Authoritative architecture.

Both of them can have "dedicated servers" as an option.

Authoritative: Controls everything from processing player input to world/game logic (ai, stats and every other game mechanic).

Non-Authoritative: Every player controls your own stuff like player state, position and interactions (applying damage and etc). The host only relays and synchronize data to other clients.

Both methods can have a dedicated server option where you create a two separate applications, one that act as a server and one that act as a player. Also you can have it like Counter Strike did, one dedicated server application and one client that can also act as a server (useful for LAN parties without having to setup a dedicated server).

Keep in mind that if you want to host a dedicated server for every match (like DOTA) the costs will be very high. On the other hand, you can host a lobby and have the players host the dedicated servers (like Counte Strike).

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014